Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike last year non running. Got it running last year but never drove it. Took it out this year for about 10 miles and went through the gears fine. Then when I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd the shifter just went limp and it stuck in 2nd where it still is today. The shifter returns to correct position but it just flops loosely. I took the side cover of the mechanism off and nothing is moving. It is obviously somthing broke in the motor in between the shifter rod and the rod that actually moves the trans. Has anyone else had this problem? Not to mention it still floods the carb and the headlight indicator stays on. I'm thinking it might have been in a flood or sabotaged or something. May be parting it out to get my money back being that the motor has to be split to fix the trans problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stuck In Second Gear

Hi;

I'd buy the Clymer service, repair, maintenance book for the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 1985-2006. While looking in my Clymer book, I recall something about a spring being dislodged or just a piece out of place because of being loose. I'll keep looking in my Clymer book to see if I can find exactly what a found out gears that fits your bikes problem. Dame I should have bookmark my book when I first found it the first time.
Try looking their before selling the bike for parts. Also, if you don't mind my asking. How must did you pay for your bike?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Free is always good

Darn, out done by Mr. Free again. Well their goes my plot to take over the world by having people really read a book. It's a slippery slop with mini laptops, smart phones and ipads. Reminds me of a "B" rated movie from the fifties.
Now I'll have to take my VN750 and cruise to see my bro barack and tell'em that his plan to get people to read is a dismiss failure.
I'd like to take this time to wish all fathers a wonderful and most joyful Fathers Day.......HAPPY FATHERS DAY BOYS.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paid $500 for it. Carbs are a joke on these things. I have the factory service manual and it looks like the linkage between the shifter rod and the rod that actually moves the mechanism must somehow be broken. BTW sorry for no replies but I thought if someone responded I would be notified by e-mail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check out www.vn750.com, someone is having similar issues and turned out to be the shift fork.
Thanks. Don't know if I saw it or not because I've looked at soooo many sites about this. I took the cover that has the oil site window in and nothing is moving. It has to be in the motor. Really really sucks bad.

·
Banned
21 Posts
If the guys over on the VN750.com forum don't have the answers... it can't be done. For all of you that have one of these excellent machines, I highly recommend www.vn750.com There are over 8000 registered users and about 50 of us that post replies to your questions and concerns almost hourly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Could be the tie rod connecting the shift lever shaft to the change lever shaft. Earlier models had under specified tie rods that have now been replaced with heavier duty ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? I am looking at a 1994 vulcan 750 with the same issue and I don't want to spend $1500 to get it fixed.. Please get back to me asap.. I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you ever get this fixed? I am looking at a 1994 vulcan 750 with the same issue and I don't want to spend $1500 to get it fixed.. Please get back to me asap.. I'd really appreciate it!
No, I never dug into it anymore and I was going nuts so I sold it last year. I did see one that someone drilled a hole in the oil site cover and welded a rod to the shift cam and just had the linkage run externally. I would deffinately do that before splitting the case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts