Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a used '90 VN750 with only 3,650 miles on it... I was pleased to find a bike with low mileage, but equally as concerned that it has OBVIOUSLY been ridden infrequently to say the least ;) The owner did at least indicate that it has been properly stored and run every season.

I put 150 miles on it over the weekend (had to ride it home from the place of purchase), and noticed a few problems:

1: Fuel leaking somewhere around the back side of the selector (res, off, normal) lever only when the bike is running.

2: Quite a bit of misfiring (no backfires) and hesitation when accelerating especially at low speed/RPM. The only way I can explain this is very choppy acceleration, power seems to cut in & out rapidly and I can tell by the sound something is just not right.

As far as #2 above, I'm thinking I need the cabs synched, or perhaps it's even the spark plugs? I can't imagine it's something as simple as needing a fuel additive, but I'm willing to try if anybody thinks it's worth it.

The fuel leak is really concerning me, I'm planning to stay off the bike until I get this resolved. I'm sure it'll have to go in for service, the leak is a steady drip when the bike is running.

Any advice on any of this would be most appreciated. Also I plan on draining replacing all fluids (brake, oil, final drive oil, & coolant) - but if there is anything else I should consider with a 20 year old bike @ around 4,000k miles, please let me know!

*Final note, I tried posting on VN750.com - but their user registration page has been totally broken for days now...

Thanks all!

Kyle

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
On a bike this old with that few miles, the fuel shut-off and carbs will have to be dismantled, cleaned, inspected and any faulty parts replaced. Anything short of this will result in poor performance and frustration on your part.
The same will apply to the braking system!
A service manual will be a must to do the above.

Post back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx sfair. I figured as much. I have definetely tracked down the leak to the fuel tap / pepcock. Fuel is dripping out of what seems to be between the diaphram and diaphram cover. This is on the rear (opposite to the lever) side of the fuel tap assembly. I'm planning on rebuilding the fuel tap, and am considering ordering a entirely new assembly so as to not miss a potentially defective part. I have no experience doing this but it seems to be pretty straight forward.

Does anybody know if I have remove /drain the gas tank to replace the fuel tap?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts