Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I just acquired my first motorcycle, a 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. It has only 34k miles:

The bike didn't run in the last two years or less than that, so me and my father in law started doing some maintenance to make it perfect again. With surprise and happiness we discovered that everything works perfectly;
- tank is de-rusting using a gallon of Metal Rescue;
- replaced the fuel filter with original Kawasaki part from a local dealer;
- replaced some fuel lines (still had the originals);
- checked the battery, it was charged (12.95V, 9.8V while starting the engine);
- checked the electrics, everything is fine;
- checked the fuel pump, working perfectly;
- cleaned the filters + ordered new sponges on eBay (the originals fell apart while cleaning);
- checked spark plugs, they were new;
- checked for sparks, sparked fine;
- checked compression, had compression;

Still the bike would not start; you could tell that she really wanted to though. So I went on with the last thing to do, disassemble the carburetor:
From outside looked fine:

But inside:

:eek:

I assume that that stuff is gas that lost some volatile parts and became gel. My question is, what is the best way to clean that stuff? Any particular solvent that you guys can advice? We started cleaning it with carb cleaner, but it leaves a white patina and will need further scrubbing, which is not easy to do inside the carburetor.
Any feedback is more than welcome, thanks!

Baf

·
Registered
436 Posts
That carb is really gummed up good. If that were mine, I'd disassemble the carb and soak all the components in carb cleaner. The holes in the jets are really tiny, so I'm sure they're plugged given that the whole bowl was solidly packed with varnish. The jets should just pull out with your fingers. I'd probably pull off the top end as well and make sure your needles are also nice and clean. You can probably hit the carb body with some compressed air or just an aerosol carb cleaner and be fine. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That carb is really gummed up good. If that were mine, I'd disassemble the carb and soak all the components in carb cleaner. The holes in the jets are really tiny, so I'm sure they're plugged given that the whole bowl was solidly packed with varnish. The jets should just pull out with your fingers. I'd probably pull off the top end as well and make sure your needles are also nice and clean. You can probably hit the carb body with some compressed air or just an aerosol carb cleaner and be fine. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the advice Kawi Rick, I will keep the post updated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going to use metal rescue on mine when I got it , guy prior to me left the bike outside for a year uncovered with an inch of gasoline in the tank. I used the Kreem kit and it worked great getting the rust out.. Had to throw some nuts bolts and washers in there and shake the heck out of it for a little while but it was way cheaper. But if your budget allows metal rescue that stuff looks like it works awesome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was going to use metal rescue on mine when I got it , guy prior to me left the bike outside for a year uncovered with an inch of gasoline in the tank. I used the Kreem kit and it worked great getting the rust out.. Had to throw some nuts bolts and washers in there and shake the heck out of it for a little while but it was way cheaper. But if your budget allows metal rescue that stuff looks like it works awesome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hi MoonCricketKilla, I bought the 1gal container ($24.15 here on amazon.com) and turn the tank every 24 hours.
We were worried about the possibility to trap some small stuff inside the tank, so we throw some chains inside it and shook it for about 5 min. Chains are easier to take out, with or without magnets ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd probably take the carb to the local Kaw dealer and have them boil it out. I had and old Honda CBR that had clogged carbs, more than I wanted to deal with, I took it to the local dealer and he charged me $100 but the were perfect when I got them back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought my '96 1500A last spring from a guy who hardly rode it so it had been stored for awhile. I didn't actually see inside but my mechanic told me that he had to soak the carbs for 4 days before cleaning them. The bike ran before I brought it but wow what a difference after. My advice...let a pro do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts