Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell Everyone,

I picked up a pile of parts that was formally a Vulcan 700 one new years day. My intention is to restore it to running condition, but since I already have 2 other bikes on the road I am going to try to build it for as cheap as possible. With that being said in the past 4 days I cleaned/ painted the frame, painted the fenders, and started assembling the bike.

Today I started looking over the motor(which is something I am not too familiar with). I was told that the bike needs a new stator... but the previous owner pulled all the engine covers off the motor probably 5 years ago and then the bike sat all this time being exposed to humidity and whatnot. The motor still turns over and has compression, but I noticed that one of the cam lobes has a little surface rust, and the gears/water pump towards the bottom of the motor are pretty rusty.

I tried to remove some of the rust with PB blaster, a shop rag, and a little bit of emery cloth. That seamed to work pretty good, but in the process I also noticed that the shift lever is pretty badly mangled.

I suppose I could rebuild the motor, but Idealy I would like to source another motor I could just stick in the bike. Does anyone know if a 750 motor is a direct swap for the vn700?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Great to know. That's definitely the route I'm going then because the 750 motors are a lot more plentiful. I guess I'll just stash the 700 motor in case I need it for some reason.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you're doing a motor swap, make sure the stator on the new motor is a good one. They're a problem spot on the 700's and 750's, and swapping them requires an engine pull because the left side of the frame blocks removal of the cover. You can send the stator from your 700 in to be rewound (http://tpe-usa.com/) for about $60 and it will be better than new. Tim Parrott does excellent work but be forewarned that you'll get little or no communication throughout the process. Basically you pay for the service and send the stator in, then wait six weeks for the replacement to appear on your doorstep.

One other thing to check are the balancer bushings. They're under the same cover and do tend to wear out. With the cover off, remove the flywheel and then the balancer gear. You'll find the six bushings underneath the balancer gear.

FYI, there are a ton more 750 owners at vn750.com, as well as lots of archived threads full of information.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tim Parrott is highly recommended for stators on vn750.com as well.look into the tuxedo mod, where the cover is modified to accept a plate that can be unbolted to remove the stator without removing the motor, after initial installation that is.ill get info on a site for you that sells the plate and has instructions on how to do it.if instructions are not included there's a full write up on the 750 site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts