Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;
Are the VN750 engines interchangeable with all other years VN750's were made?. That's to say can I take parts from a 1990 VN750 and put them on an engine for a 1984 or 2001 VN 750?

·
Registered
397 Posts
IIRC, the very first year these were made, it was a 700 engine. Then once it changed up to 750, all the changes from year to year were pretty much cosmetic. The general consensus is that these were very much identical engines and mechanics from then on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY

HI Forrest;

Thanks for confirming my question. Your batting a thousand so far. care to go for double. OK, the VN750 has three motor mounts. Can the mounts be replaced without having to remove the engine?
I'm thinking if I support the engine with a jack. That would take the pressure off the engine and frame. Slide the old mounts out and slide the new ones in? Remember this is all wishful thinking. Could it be that easy?????
Thanks
qxinfinity

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ummm... your concept SEEMs reasonable. I do not have any experience with that myself and I always anticipate the unexpected. So, though I've never tried it, it sounds logical enough that it should work as you described. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
72 Posts
IIRC, the very first year these were made, it was a 700 engine. Then once it changed up to 750, all the changes from year to year were pretty much cosmetic. The general consensus is that these were very much identical engines and mechanics from then on.
Most of the parts on the 700 are interchangable with the 750, except the jugs, pistons and rings. I believe even the cylinder heads are interchangable.

EDIT: Correction- I mis-spoke myself last night regarding a change in the oil pump drive. The actual change is that from `87 on there is an oil pump chain guide in place above the gearshift lever shaft. As far as swapping engines though, any model years engine will fit any frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts