Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I owned this 1974 Suzuki GT750L some time ago, sold it on ebay in 2003 to a Japanese collector and have been kicking myself ever since. Anyway, before I sold it, I took it out for a ride on a great day and took some photos along the way...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a "project" Water Buffalo for a few hundred bucks, but had to return it to the seller because of a title issue. I'm always kind of half looking for another, but I need it like a hole in the head.:D

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Nice looking machine. I can see why you now wish you had kept it. I have a KX650C3 that's in the garage because I just love it. Being a '79, it's old school and heavy! But it will stay there because I miss having so many of the bikes that I bought, rode and sold over the years. I won't regret selling this one because I'm not selling it. I'm finished with sellers regrets... Thanks for the post & PICs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
HA! I had the burgundy version of that same water buffalo. Kinda wish I still had it. That 2-stroke was smoking 750 ninjas from stoplight to stoplight with it's wonderous Ring ding ding ding..... I spent more than one night with it up on the center stand and my feet over the handlebars sleeping. Not sure what year mine was, but damn that was a fun bike!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA! I had the burgundy version of that same water buffalo. Kinda wish I still had it. That 2-stroke was smoking 750 ninjas from stoplight to stoplight with it's wonderous Ring ding ding ding..... I spent more than one night with it up on the center stand and my feet over the handlebars sleeping. Not sure what year mine was, but damn that was a fun bike!
The only year that a GT750 had anything that could be called 'burgundy' would have been a 1977 model, which was the last year Suzuki made them. 1977 GT750's were offered in Burgundy or black. Actually, the only part painted those colors were the fuel tanks as 1977 ('B' models) had chrome fenders and satin black plastic side covers.

I don't know how a stock GT750 could beat much of anything stoplight to stoplight, much less a 750 Ninja, which probably had at least 30-40 hp more than any of the GT's did. They were somewhat quicker from 1975 on, but at best they only had about 70 hp (at the crank, not the rear wheel). My 1974 GT750's posted miserable 1/4 mile speeds and times in the magazines of the period, 14.5 seconds @91 mph. I think that after Suzuki tweaked them with the 1975 model, they could almost hit 100 in the quarter.

I can remember 'racing' several other bikes with my 1975 GT750L, one was a friend who had a 1974 Kawasaki H1-500. We drag raced from a dead stop out to perhaps a half mile and My GT beat him, which surprised him because he thought the H1 was such a fierce motorcycle, which it kind of was in 1970 when it came out, but they were really only 60hp, and if you let it fall below it's powerband, a kid on a bicycle could give it fits.

Another was a rolling race from about 60 with a BMW R90/6, he just walked away from me, as did another friend on his Norton 750.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The only year that a GT750 had anything that could be called 'burgundy' would have been a 1977 model, which was the last year Suzuki made them. 1977 GT750's were offered in Burgundy or black. Actually, the only part painted those colors were the fuel tanks as 1977 ('B' models) had chrome fenders and satin black plastic side covers.

I don't know how a stock GT750 could beat much of anything stoplight to stoplight, much less a 750 Ninja, which probably had at least 30-40 hp more than any of the GT's did. They were somewhat quicker from 1975 on, but at best they only had about 70 hp (at the crank, not the rear wheel). My 1974 GT750's posted miserable 1/4 mile speeds and times in the magazines of the period, 14.5 seconds @91 mph. I think that after Suzuki tweaked them with the 1975 model, they could almost hit 100 in the quarter.

I can remember 'racing' several other bikes with my 1975 GT750L, one was a friend who had a 1974 Kawasaki H1-500. We drag raced from a dead stop out to perhaps a half mile and My GT beat him, which surprised him because he thought the H1 was such a fierce motorcycle, which it kind of was in 1970 when it came out, but they were really only 60hp, and if you let it fall below it's powerband, a kid on a bicycle could give it fits.

Another was a rolling race from about 60 with a BMW R90/6, he just walked away from me, as did another friend on his Norton 750.
Well it's been a huge number of years, and may NOT have been a 750 as I remember, but that 2-stroke used to haul arse when the sportbikers would come laugh at the sound. :) I'd still swear that the bright green angular bike next to me said "750" on the side of it. (while admitting that in my 40s looking back more than 20 years it's a bit foggy) More than once I had to explain that a 2 stroke is NOT the same as a 4. I also recall getting utterly smoked by a Hurricane at one point when my britches got a big big for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
* Come to think of it I also remember getting scalded like crazy when the top radiator hose suddenly gave out... Maybe I don't wish I still had it. LOL I think THAT was when I started shopping around for a different bike.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Brings me back to my Old School days of my 1979 GS-850 . . . That was a smooth and fun bike too!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts