Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1700 in the shop belonging to forum member @vindicator6 to repair the second gear failure, and found the cylinders are NOT in good shape. Over .0015" out of round with lotsa taper deviation, plus 1 cyl has a not so nice score in it. So I reached out to my piston makin peeps and have come up with a very streetable forged piston kit that brings displacement up to 1783cc / 108.8 cu.in. with a static c/r of 10.4-1....9 tenths above stock. At the same time I will be incorporating a mild cam grind and undercutting his transmission. Hers a pic of one of his gears gettin cut.
MORE TO COME...
RACNRAY

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 1700 in the shop belonging to forum member @vindicator6 to repair the second gear failure, and found the cylinders are NOT in good shape. Over .0015" out of round with lotsa taper deviation, plus 1 cyl has a not so nice score in it. So I reached out to my piston makin peeps and have come up with a very streetable forged piston kit that brings displacement up to 1783cc / 108.8 cu.in. with a static c/r of 10.4-1....9 tenths above stock. At the same time I will be incorporating a mild cam grind and undercutting his transmission. Hers a pic of one of his gears gettin cut.
MORE TO COME...
RACNRAY
I am thoroughly enjoying Ray's skill and craftsmanship on this build.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5th and 6th gears undercut and input shaft assembled. One thing I found with this shaft is one of the thrust washer and circlip holding 2 of the gears in place were showing excess side load and were deformed, eventually the circlip would fail, either by breakage or being pushed outa it's groove.

Last time this engine was opened up due to a gear actually breaking and metal particles got in the oil pump which scored the machined surface in the case, the cases were replaced. Cases dont come with bearings and/or races installed, they have to be pressed in. Setting up that shaft with those 2 gears in place proved either the race or the bearing had not been pressed in all the way. I heated up the case and knocked on both hard, but neither moved even .001", so they are stuck where they are.

In order to gain clearance so there is no pressure on that clip, I machined the thrust surface on one of those gears and gained the required clearance.

I gots all my engine parts from Kawi so I can get started on replacing and cutting the gears on the output shaft.

MORE TO COME......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ray, can you post pics of scored piston? stock vs aftermarket piston?
The stock pistons are not scored and when i receive the new pistons many pics will be made available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts