Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I still haven't made the leap onto a cruiser bike yet but still a looking. I'm coming from a sport Touring (emphasis on Touring) stand point so trying to make the best informed decision prior to purchasing a cruiser. I believe that the Vulcan is the way that I want to go simply because of two up riding, I considered the Triumph Thunderbird but it doesn't appear that the comfort level is on par with the Vulcan for the passenger, though the riding style is more to my liking. But since I do primarily ride with my better half, I better make sure she is comfy or ain't nobody happy.

Can anyone chime in here and provide a bit of insight on the differences between the two listed above from a handling stand point, the 1600 and 1700? I'm looking at both the Classic and Nomad verison of both and was curious in the handling aspect between the two. I know there is displacment differences and that the 1700 is belt driven while the 1600 is shaft, just want to know from those that have experienced riding both of what they saw to be a difference, both pros and cons. Also, is there any differences in the actual handlebar from the Classic to the Nomad? I have sat on a Nomad and sometime back a Classic as well but for some reason can not remember the handlebar placement.

Also, if for those that have gone to the 1700 from the 1600, would you do it again or recommend it?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Skip the Classic and go with the 1700 Nomad. If you are touring you will love the electronic cruise control. IMO the 1700 Nomad is more nimble than the 1600 Nomad.

You can always change out the handlebars if you don't care for the position. Have you sat on a Voyager? Basically the same sitting position, but different handlebars so it does feel different.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skip the Classic and go with the 1700 Nomad. If you are touring you will love the electronic cruise control. IMO the 1700 Nomad is more nimble than the 1600 Nomad.

You can always change out the handlebars if you don't care for the position. Have you sat on a Voyager? Basically the same sitting position, but different handlebars so it does feel different.

That's the direction I was headed, the Nomad or at least leaning harder toward it. I have sat on the Voyager and do like the bar placement better on it. I wonder if the bars are interchangeable, Voyager bar work on the Nomad? I know the diameter of the Voyager bars are larger than the Nomad but wonder if there is an adapter that could be used to make them work. The placement of my hands and riding position definitely is more to my liking on the Voyager, just don't want to go that full fairing direction with my jump into a cruiser bike. I really like the practicality of the Nomad but if there are different bars similar to the Voyager then that would definitely be the way I want to go. I am suppose to go and look/buy a 2009 Nomad tomorrow that is about an 1.5 hours away, if work permits. It seems to be in great shape and well taken care of. I just wanted to get some opinions of the the two 1600 and 1700 prior to deciding. I know when the 1700's first came out from the reviews that I have read that there were a lot of existing Nomad riders criticizing the look and belt drive versus shaft drive. But since then it seems like the negative talk about them as really minimized, except for the heat discussions that I have seen.

What do you think about the bars being interchangeable, anyone every talked about doing that between the Nomad and Voyager?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You can put the voyager/vaquero bars on the nomad, but you will need the voyager handlebar clamps or some replacement to fit the mount point. The voyager/vaquero bars taper for the controls so those should move over without a fuss.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I still haven't made the leap onto a cruiser bike yet but still a looking. I'm coming from a sport Touring (emphasis on Touring) stand point so trying to make the best informed decision prior to purchasing a cruiser. I believe that the Vulcan is the way that I want to go simply because of two up riding, I considered the Triumph Thunderbird but it doesn't appear that the comfort level is on par with the Vulcan for the passenger, though the riding style is more to my liking. But since I do primarily ride with my better half, I better make sure she is comfy or ain't nobody happy.

Can anyone chime in here and provide a bit of insight on the differences between the two listed above from a handling stand point, the 1600 and 1700? I'm looking at both the Classic and Nomad verison of both and was curious in the handling aspect between the two. I know there is displacment differences and that the 1700 is belt driven while the 1600 is shaft, just want to know from those that have experienced riding both of what they saw to be a difference, both pros and cons. Also, is there any differences in the actual handlebar from the Classic to the Nomad? I have sat on a Nomad and sometime back a Classic as well but for some reason can not remember the handlebar placement.

Also, if for those that have gone to the 1700 from the 1600, would you do it again or recommend it?

Thanks,
Scott
If you plan on doing a lot of touring or 2-up riding then you can't go wrong with either the 1600 or 1700 Nomad. My impressions in riding both is that the 1600 with it's longer wheel base and lower center of gravity makes it more stable on the highway where the 1700's more strait up rider's position make more nimble on city roads and parking lots. As far as features go the main difference is cruise control and overdrive gear. Also an often overlooked point to consider is top loading hard bags vs. side loading. Personally I prefer top loading because both I and my passenger can easily access them without having to get off the bike.

BTW would love to have a Thunderbird myself as well but didn't get one for the same reason. Well that and there isn't a Triumph dealer for at least 100 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it looks like I am now officially out of the market for another bike. I finally was able to go and look at the 2009 Nomad that I had been trying to get time to look at and it is now in my garage. Rode it for a good while on a test ride and she rode really nice. I now realize that sitting on one in the dealer show rooms do no justice to the bike itself. The bars on the bike felt really neutral and comfortable, more so than in the dealer show room. So it doesn't appear that I will be changing the bars after all, at least anytime soon. It was a really nice test ride for sure. It is going to need a rear tire soon so that and an oil change is a must. All other fluids are good to go. I'll be posting a good many questions on here about "how do I do this and how do I do that" till I am completely comfortable with the machine, so be patient with me.

Any recommendations on a specific tire for the rear?

Thanks to all who have kindly shared there thoughts and experiences as well as wisdom. It was and still is much appreciated. Can't wait to take her on a good ride. As a matter of fact, when I pulled it home on the trailer (didn't want to ride it more than necessary till I changed the oil), my wife kinda smiled and said I can't wait till we go for a ride on it. Should have done this along time ago.

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Grats Scott.

I ran two Dunlop elite 3 bias and for 16000 and 13000 miles out of them. I now have a Michelin commander 2 on the rear. Wearing well and easier to seat the bead. I am sticking with the excedra max on the front because they work well for me. Tried an elite up front, but didn't like the wear pattern.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grats Scott.

I ran two Dunlop elite 3 bias and for 16000 and 13000 miles out of them. I now have a Michelin commander 2 on the rear. Wearing well and easier to seat the bead. I am sticking with the excedra max on the front because they work well for me. Tried an elite up front, but didn't like the wear pattern.

Excellent, I'll start shopping for brands to see availability. Where did you purchase yours from?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
One of the best tire prices I have found is at Jake Wilson.com, but I still check around every time I buy a tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts