Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, Question: I have owned two 1500 Nomads, and two 1600 Nomads through the years. Yes, I have been very happy with all of them. I have found a 1700 Nomad that I am very interested in buying, however, a lot of gripes and questions that I've read here and the "other" forum make me a bit hesitant. Any of Ya'll come up from a 1600 to the 1700 for a real comparison? What about the belt whine? top opening bags leaking rain water? Ignition wire problems? poor fuel milage? Not very impressive performance? I just can't believe all of these ailments, but I just had to ask. My 1600 is not a race car by a long shot, but man it's comfortable. I just don't want to buy a bike less than what I have. I'm just interested in upgrading again. Thanks for any info, always a pleasure to listen to anyone's personal experience.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Hillclimber. I came from a 2005 Nomad to the 2009 Voyager.
I miss that Nomad as she was a sweet ride, but, The voyager is also very nice. I have not had a lot of the issues mentioned above.
Fuel mileage is about the same. No bad whine, No leaks on bag or trunk. My ignition wire was fine when I checked, but, protected it anyway. My voyager performs as well or better than the Nomad.
The only dislike I have is all the mechanical sound from the 1700, which is mainly at idle. The old nomad was very quiet and you could let it lope with no noise if you wanted to chance low oil pressure to your parts.
No regrets moving to the 17.
Shep

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I test rode several 1600 nomads before buying my Voyager. They were all plagued with excessive vibration in the floorboards and passenger backrest. My wife couldn't stand it. The '09 Nomad I owned for a season was much more nimble than the 1600 nomads. The 6 speed and cruise are awesome.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I test rode several 1600 nomads before buying my Voyager. They were all plagued with excessive vibration in the floorboards and passenger backrest. My wife couldn't stand it. The '09 Nomad I owned for a season was much more nimble than the 1600 nomads. The 6 speed and cruise are awesome.
Also excellent points TW. The 1700 is more nimble as the nomads 05-08 had more rake and wider bars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
1700 has a better stock seat, a more comfortable reach (I am 5'10"), cruise, 6th gear, etc. The power difference is negligible. As a matter of fact the shaft drive of the 1600 probably is more responsive than the 1700. I have had no problems with the bags leaking. I like the top load. The 1700 is the most comfortable ride I have ever been on. My greatest complaint is the whine. I had an 09 that had a bad whine from 45-65mpg. My 2011 has a much less noticeable whine. The only time I notice it is when coasting downhill at 60 mph.
Both are great bikes. The 1700 is more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Electronic cruise control is standard on the 1700 Nomad and ABS is available on 1700 models. That's definitely something to consider.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went from the 1500 classic to the Vaquero and never looked back. The 1700 has way more torque and 6 speeds along with cruise control cannot be beat. Luckily I sold my 1500 to a good friend and get to see her often. He does not clean her like I did though and it pisses me off..lol:D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hillclimber,went from 900 to 1700 nomad,did ride a 1600 nomad
1700 is def the most comfortable ride,cruise and 6 speed is awesome,no belt whine,guess depends on belt tightness,haven't checked ign wires,mileage is around 35,not great but,,did I mention the ride?way more heat than the 900,bigger twin,no leaks with top load bags,handles like a dream,know I wont go back,
sold 900 to friend,sits outside,as hockeynut said,pisses me off,should buy it back,GO NY RANGERS,,,,,

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I should add I really don't think the ignition wires are a reason to pick a different bike. It's an easy fix. If you like the 1700 better but got the 1600 to avoid a 20 minute repair; not sure you made the right choice! Just one mans opinion anyway.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Random question since the topic of 15/16/1700 comparison is here. Is there any difference between 1700 models. I know there was some differences in gearing with the 1600 Mean Streak and such.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Random question since the topic of 15/16/1700 comparison is here. Is there any difference between 1700 models. I know there was some differences in gearing with the 1600 Mean Streak and such.
As far as drivetrain, I don't believe so. I perused a bit online and it looks like all models have the same gear ratio.

Beyond that, only the Nomad and up have electronic cruise control; the former Classic and former Classic LT do not. Unsure if the Classic / Classic LT models had ABS available or not. Interestingly, for 2015, those models are all dropped. The only 1700's available are the Vaquero and Voyager.

The Nomad/Voyager have top opening saddlebags with more of a 'gap' between them and the bike to fit wide chrome rails for either the Nomad sissy bar or Voyager trunk; and the two are interchangeable (you can mount a Voyager trunk to a Nomad or a Nomad sissy bar to a Voyager). Those parts aren't compatible (at least as a simple bolt on) with the Vaquero; as it uses side-opening bags which are closer, and has a piece of painted trim to fill the gap.

Also the seats on the Voyager/Nomad/Classic/LT and Vaquero are not compatible without modification. In fact on the other models it's a two piece seat that I believe is bolt on; and on the Vaquero it's a one piece key on/off seat.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes there is.
Fork size between the nomad/classic, and voyager/vaquero.
VAQUERO has different clutch/engine components to make the rider feel the power pulses more. Maybe puts a little more power to the rear wheel because of this?
There are others, bUT it is hard to type on this phone.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
As far as drivetrain, I don't believe so. I perused a bit online and it looks like all models have the same gear ratio.

Beyond that, only the Nomad and up have electronic cruise control; the former Classic and former Classic LT do not. Unsure if the Classic / Classic LT models had ABS available or not. Interestingly, for 2015, those models are all dropped. The only 1700's available are the Vaquero and Voyager.

The Nomad/Voyager have top opening saddlebags with more of a 'gap' between them and the bike to fit wide chrome rails for either the Nomad sissy bar or Voyager trunk; and the two are interchangeable (you can mount a Voyager trunk to a Nomad or a Nomad sissy bar to a Voyager). Those parts aren't compatible (at least as a simple bolt on) with the Vaquero; as it uses side-opening bags which are closer, and has a piece of painted trim to fill the gap.

Also the seats on the Voyager/Nomad/Classic/LT and Vaquero are not compatible without modification. In fact on the other models it's a two piece seat that I believe is bolt on; and on the Vaquero it's a one piece key on/off seat.
Thanks. I had a 1500 Classic and a 1600 Mean Streak and I have ridden a 1600 nomad. You could tell a big difference in the attitudes between the two 1600 bikes. The Mean Streak had more get up but was looking for a 6th gear, then nomad did not have the get up, but was a better highway rider. Also the MS was a lot firmer ride than the Nomad along with the different forks/rake up front too. Looks like Kawasaki has simplified the bikes they are making and only doing plastic and electronic changes between them now.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah, although a 1700 Meanstreak would be way cool. Lower, more aggressive gearing, different cam profiles, intake, exhaust, etc. Push 120+ ft/lbs to the rear wheel on a muscle cruiser that's stripped down? That would be a cool bike. Especially because Kawasaki no longer even MAKES a non-faired 1700.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yeah, although a 1700 Meanstreak would be way cool. Lower, more aggressive gearing, different cam profiles, intake, exhaust, etc. Push 120+ ft/lbs to the rear wheel on a muscle cruiser that's stripped down? That would be a cool bike. Especially because Kawasaki no longer even MAKES a non-faired 1700.
R&D Time. Kawasaki has put a lot in there other bikes here lately. I suspect some changes coming in the Vulcan line soon.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
R&D Time. Kawasaki has put a lot in there other bikes here lately. I suspect some changes coming in the Vulcan line soon.
I'd have to agree on this. Not many changes have been done to the 1700 besides ABS

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Absolutely. The 900 is 10 years old now (first released in 2005 as an '06 model year); the 1700 platform is almost as old. And the Voyager/Vaquero are already showing their age a bit. The stereo system lacks bluetooth, support (natively) for newer iDevices, things that their competitors have. Fantastic bikes; but well ready for an update. Sort of like what H-D did with Project Rushmore. Kick the whole line into the next generation.

I could see an updated 900 with some slightly updated styling, ABS. Maybe a slight bump in displacement but I doubt much; the magic number is 1000; and certain jurisdictions have tax brackets, restrictions, insurance spikes, etc. Lots of reasons to go with sub-1000cc's. For the 900 to stay competitive it's going to have to have ABS. Almost all of it's competitors do now.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 900 dropped from the line; even though it's BY FAR Kawasaki's best selling bike. But replacing it with a 1300~cc bike with an option for hard bags, etc. Replace the non-faired 1700 lines with one with a smaller engine and lower price point. And the sub-1000cc market will go to the 650 S.

An updated 1700 could go a couple of ways. The power plant is fine. Maybe some tuning to bump the power a bit. It's competitive with H-D's 104", and holds it's own against the Indian, Victory, and other Metrics. Updated styling, improved infotainment; even options like on board navigation would be kind of cool (not an option I'd want though; unless it was integrated with Google maps or something. Always out-of-date maps on a screen with goofy controls is not my cup of tea!) I could see a bump in displacement, maybe. Keeping in mind they still have to keep a competitive price point.

Yeah, I think we're due for an updated line from Kawasaki. Curious to see if they do bring back a non-fairing equipped 1700. All the numbers out there suggest the best selling bikes, from any brand, are the full-faired touring bikes. My theory is that once you hit that over-$10k price point and start going onto bigger bikes; the clientele (with some exceptions of course; but not enough to drive the market) wants fairings, hard bags, etc. Even H-D who has several 103" models doesn't sell the non-faired bikes nearly as well as the Ultra, Road Glide, etc.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Absolutely. The 900 is 10 years old now (first released in 2005 as an '06 model year); the 1700 platform is almost as old. And the Voyager/Vaquero are already showing their age a bit. The stereo system lacks bluetooth, support (natively) for newer iDevices, things that their competitors have. Fantastic bikes; but well ready for an update. Sort of like what H-D did with Project Rushmore. Kick the whole line into the next generation.

I could see an updated 900 with some slightly updated styling, ABS. Maybe a slight bump in displacement but I doubt much; the magic number is 1000; and certain jurisdictions have tax brackets, restrictions, insurance spikes, etc. Lots of reasons to go with sub-1000cc's. For the 900 to stay competitive it's going to have to have ABS. Almost all of it's competitors do now.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the 900 dropped from the line; even though it's BY FAR Kawasaki's best selling bike. But replacing it with a 1300~cc bike with an option for hard bags, etc. Replace the non-faired 1700 lines with one with a smaller engine and lower price point. And the sub-1000cc market will go to the 650 S.

An updated 1700 could go a couple of ways. The power plant is fine. Maybe some tuning to bump the power a bit. It's competitive with H-D's 104", and holds it's own against the Indian, Victory, and other Metrics. Updated styling, improved infotainment; even options like on board navigation would be kind of cool (not an option I'd want though; unless it was integrated with Google maps or something. Always out-of-date maps on a screen with goofy controls is not my cup of tea!) I could see a bump in displacement, maybe. Keeping in mind they still have to keep a competitive price point.

Yeah, I think we're due for an updated line from Kawasaki. Curious to see if they do bring back a non-fairing equipped 1700. All the numbers out there suggest the best selling bikes, from any brand, are the full-faired touring bikes. My theory is that once you hit that over-$10k price point and start going onto bigger bikes; the clientele (with some exceptions of course; but not enough to drive the market) wants fairings, hard bags, etc. Even H-D who has several 103" models doesn't sell the non-faired bikes nearly as well as the Ultra, Road Glide, etc.
That is one thing I like about my HD. The infotainment system. It was a little cumbersome to use, (I don't use the Nav unless i am in a place i have NEVER been) but its an all in one package with a regular USB cable. It supports my iPhone 6 plus so all of those profiles are rather up to date. I have not tried it with any samsungs or other android OS devices.

I think one thing that happens when you get to those larger bikes, people go in looking at say a 1700 Classic (when you could get a new one), well for not much more money (even less a month if financing) you could get a Nomad or a Vaq. I fell victim to that. I was looking at 900 LTs (good bike for the price I was looking at) when the sales man said I can get you this V2K Classic for almost the same price. I jumped on the 2K, i mean why not for a few more dollars.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That is one thing I like about my HD. The infotainment system. It was a little cumbersome to use, (I don't use the Nav unless i am in a place i have NEVER been) but its an all in one package with a regular USB cable. It supports my iPhone 6 plus so all of those profiles are rather up to date. I have not tried it with any samsungs or other android OS devices.

I think one thing that happens when you get to those larger bikes, people go in looking at say a 1700 Classic (when you could get a new one), well for not much more money (even less a month if financing) you could get a Nomad or a Vaq. I fell victim to that. I was looking at 900 LTs (good bike for the price I was looking at) when the sales man said I can get you this V2K Classic for almost the same price. I jumped on the 2K, i mean why not for a few more dollars.
Salesman are good at that!

The deal with the Kawasaki system is that it basically is wired like an iPod dock. The old 30-pin connector that's been on the iPod and early iPhones for years and years was both digital and analog. In addition to being a digital connection that is compatible with USB of FireWire; it has an analog audio connection that is essentially a headphone jack wired into those pins.

On the 1700, that's what's happening. It's getting raw analog audio, and using the digital connection to pull song titles and change tracks; and feeding power back to the device. Making it fundamentally incompatible with anything other than a 30-pin iDevice. With the official Adapter from Apple (which has a chip that emulates the analog audio), it works fine. But what your H-D is doing is pulling the actual data files, and rendering them on the head unit. Making it compatible with almost anything with USB support. A much better system.

Of course a lot of owners just use the aux cable (audio only) and are fine with that. But I like to change songs. I have varying music tastes, lots of genres represented, and don't always want to listen to certain songs! So having the ability to skip songs with my handlebar controls is really nice. And with an adapter it works! But if I had something other than an iDevice, it wouldn't (or didn't go to the Apple store and get the requisite adapter).

My ideal setup would be a small, readable color screen that supported Google Maps (there are lots of systems out there that do exactly this; they pull data from your smartphone, and can even pre-download routes or pre-download whole regions, and keep them up-to-date with Google instead of paying for expensive, inaccurate annual update from whoever makes your mapping software). Support bluetooth and USB natively, and have enough power to be clear at highway speeds. (The Vaquero is definitely useable at speed though; I'll give it that.)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The one thing you are missing Romans5.8 is suspension. The Voyager / Vaquero suspension is weak at best. I had my forks rebuilt by traxxion dynamics. Big improvement in handling. When the rears are shot I will replace with progressive shocks.

I'm glad there is no 1700 mean streak. Makes mine more unique. Just like the drifters.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts