Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to get some idea as to how many Voyager/Vaquero owners have a tranny that whines in 4th gear and above.....just for my own curiosity, I can't be the only one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a whine not sure it's only in 4th gear though but it is at slow speeds. I believe that is comes from the gears in tranny not being beveled but with sharp edges.......more expensive to do that additional machining. that's my story stickin to it!
RR

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a whine not sure it's only in 4th gear though but it is at slow speeds. I believe that is comes from the gears in tranny not being beveled but with sharp edges.......more expensive to do that additional machining. that's my story stickin to it!
RR
Really, I don't really notice mine too much at lower speeds but it's very noticeable at higher speeds in 4,5, and 6 gear. Mine disappears when I pull in the clutch so it's definitely tranny. Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I have it in low gear (2nd) at steady speed when leaving my apartment complex, and at higher speeds in 4th, 5th and 6th. I attribute some of the noise to belt whining, but a good portion of it goes away when I pull in the clutch

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it in low gear (2nd) at steady speed when leaving my apartment complex, and at higher speeds in 4th, 5th and 6th. I attribute some of the noise to belt whining, but a good portion of it goes away when I pull in the clutch
That sounds a lot like mine, good to hear I'm not alone. I'm assuming it's nothing to worry about, I've got 33,000 on mine now and it's been making that noise since new. My 1500 Classic had a god awfull rattle in the top end but it was bullet proof. My buddy's 900 sounds like a tractor but he's got 60,000 on it. They each have their strange noises. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
My Suzuki C90 had a lot of engine noise ... Just an inherent part of that bike. I just chalk this up to an inherent part of this beast.

I hope to be attacking the belt whine sometime in late June if I can find a location to work on it. Living in an apartment complex with non-level parking lots has its downfalls sometimes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MVA-Voyager - Yes I think you're right, they all have their quirks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here too,little whine in Tranny not bad though,Doesn't bother me.Just changed oil,No change,Quirk of the bike,love it!!!
2010 Nomad

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use ear-plugs 90% of the time, and only do without them when I'm running a few errands around town, 3/4 helmet no plugs then, and the bike sounds like crap. Without plugs, I hear noises that make me think huge repair bills are imminent.

So I wear plugs whenever I can, and enjoy the ride much more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll be honest, I think these machine have a lot more mechanical noise than I expected. I have the same gear whine, belt whine and solid clunk engagement on shifting that everyone else seems to complain about. Then again, I have stock pipes, so it could be that I'm hearing a lot more mechanical noise when compared to my Roadstar, which had a big air kit and a Cobra 2 into 1 pipe. Somehow that rumble seemed to mask a lot...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be honest, I think these machine have a lot more mechanical noise than I expected. I have the same gear whine, belt whine and solid clunk engagement on shifting that everyone else seems to complain about. Then again, I have stock pipes, so it could be that I'm hearing a lot more mechanical noise when compared to my Roadstar, which had a big air kit and a Cobra 2 into 1 pipe. Somehow that rumble seemed to mask a lot...
Yes pipes do mask a lot of different noises. I do get some pretty good gear whine. I'm going to replace my front pulley this spring to see if that eliminates some of the high pitched buzzing that seems to originate in that area to. My 1500 classic didn't have any tranny whine, but it sure did have a noisy engine.....a different rattle every time I rode it

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have had a lot of scoots and a lot of scoots have had transmission and other types of whine...... some just more noticeable than others and different speeds and gears. Ride next to the same model scoot and it's whine will be louder/softer or in a different gear than yours... a product of flat cut gears under load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never noticed the whine on my 2011 Nomad 1700. Just traded it in on a 2015 Voyager and it is very noticeable. I did have v&h twin slash pipes on the Nomad, and factory pipes on the Voyager. That could be the difference as someone else stated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2011 Nomad has the tranny whine on 3rd gear and up. I thought it was the belt, but after Ray made all adjustments and took it for a ride he told me the whine is coming from the gears. He explained there was nothing mechanical to do as is part of the problem of mass produced engines. I got 10W-40 Full Amsoil synthetic and Ray suggested to try a heavier oil to see if got any better but not guaranteed so I took the plunge and just changed to Red Line 12604 20W-60 Motorcycle Full Synthetic oil and I cannot believe the difference! First few miles the whine was still there but after a good 20 miles started to go away. I ended up riding 100 miles with and without earplugs and most of the whine is gone. It is not 100% gone but the difference that made for my Nomad has been worth the try.

Cheers!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2011 Nomad has the tranny whine on 3rd gear and up. I thought it was the belt, but after Ray made all adjustments and took it for a ride he told me the whine is coming from the gears. He explained there was nothing mechanical to do as is part of the problem of mass produced engines. I got 10W-40 Full Amsoil synthetic and Ray suggested to try a heavier oil to see if got any better but not guaranteed so I took the plunge and just changed to Red Line 12604 20W-60 Motorcycle Full Synthetic oil and I cannot believe the difference! First few miles the whine was still there but after a good 20 miles started to go away. I ended up riding 100 miles with and without earplugs and most of the whine is gone. It is not 100% gone but the difference that made for my Nomad has been worth the try.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. Too bad I just changed my oil.....I'll try that next time

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I changed my oil a bit early. I went from 10w-40 to Lucas 20w-50 this afternoon and after a 1/2 hr ride I would say it is 75% quieter than it was before, and I had some very noticeable tranny gear whine from 3rd gear on up. It's still there but it's minimal to the point that I really don't see myself thinking about it anymore while riding. To be honest I was a bit skeptical that it would make a difference but I am very pleased. Thanks to Nomad1968 for originally posting this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Noisy output shaft bearing???

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noisy output shaft bearing???
Nope, gear whine in 3rd gear and above as stated and it's had it since new. If it was the output shaft it shouldn't disappear in 2nd and 1st gears. I would also think the output shaft would keep making noise with the clutch pulled in, seeing as it is still spinning....which is not the case. My gears whine when under load, back off the throttle or pull the clutch in and it goes away. I'm not that concerned anymore tho with the 20w-50 :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Y'all need to install speakers in your helmet, and wear the helmet when you are riding. I heard no noises other than great tunes and my wife over the intercom. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts