Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been some concern on how to remove the rear shocks when it comes time to remove the rear tire.

For all you DIY kinda guys/gals....

First thing.... disregard most of what the shop manual tells you to do...

When you have everything off that needs to come off. Mufflers, saddlebags, axle nut removed, caliper removed including the bracket holding the hose, small jack under the tire.

Remove the front and rear seat.

Remove the phillips screw from under the seat, and the 3 4mm trim bolts.

Pull on the trim and put a two or 3 inch block of wood at the end to hold it back.

Now there is lots of room to get on that top 17mm shock acorn. Be mindful of the air valvw when wrenching.

I place a small floor jack under the tire and raise it just enough to get the stress off the shocks. The yank them out.

I then lower the tire down to where the swing arm bottoms out then raise it back up about an inch.

Then pull the axle out, lower the jack all the way down, roll the tire forward where it rolls off the jack forward and that's it. The reason I take off that little wire bracket holding the caliper line is because sometimes when the tire rolls forward it yanks the caliper down with it and puts stress on the line if it was still attached.

Slip belt to the LEFT side (as you are facing the tire sitting behind it) over the pulley. WIll have to roll it forward a little to do this.

Remove tire. I slide and angle it out the pulley side. But either side will do.

Remove the pulley and inspect the damper pads in place for wear or tear. Removed them too. Don't want to lose one transporting the wheel around.

Thats it. This Voyager, is probably the easiest rear wheel removal on any scoot I have had, even inclusing removing the shocks...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
..... When you have everything off that needs to come off. Mufflers, saddlebags, axle nut removed, caliper removed including the bracket holding the hose, small jack under the tire.

Remove the front and rear seat. ...
Good info Bubba... I just did mine, but did it at the same time that I removed the trunk (so the trim wasn't an issue).

I would ask, however... Why remove the mufflers and axle nut? That didn't seem to be an issue or did I miss something important?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was for rear tire removal..... the axle nut needs to come off at some point.... mufflers to get to everything easier. Only takes a minute to take those off.

Also when you have the tire removed and the swing arm goes down and stops.... because it hits the top of the emissions control box which is made of plastic. So be careful when you let that swing arm down. Don't just let it fall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts