Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the 1700 seems to have pretty big jumps between gears (especially 1st to 2nd), has anybody heard of someone changing sprocket sizes to tighten up gears on these bikes? I know it's a common practice on other bikes. Seems to me that would make a big difference on the feel of the 1700 especially at slower speeds. Are there even any other sprockets offered by aftermarket companies? A larger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The 1700s don't have sprockets. They have pulleys.

I have over 40000 miles on my Voyager and have no issues with slow speed maneuvering. I even have to pass through a guarded gate in the mornings and rarely have to put a foot down while waiting in the slow moving line.

Are you wanting to change the final gearing so you don't have to shift as often? or so that you can ride slow in second?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to agree with twowheel. Actually in my opinion, I have to shift too often (but I am comparing to the HD I owned previously)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1700s don't have sprockets. They have pulleys.

I have over 40000 miles on my Voyager and have no issues with slow speed maneuvering. I even have to pass through a guarded gate in the mornings and rarely have to put a foot down while waiting in the slow moving line.

Are you wanting to change the final gearing so you don't have to shift as often? or so that you can ride slow in second?
I'm aware that they are actually pulleys with teeth. Sprocket is just a generic term that is often used for both. Andrews products sells pulleys for Harley's to that change the rear pulley from stock 32 teeth to 30 or 34 teeth depending on what you are looking for. Others on this forum have also stated that they thought there was a big gap (and clunk) between 1st and 2nd gear. And some after trying the 1700, decide to keep their 900 because of that big gap. I'm just looking for an option to gear the bike down a little so that it is more enjoyable to cruise at slow speeds. And I think there would still be plenty of top end left with the overdrive 6th gear. Just to be clear, I currently own a 900 Classic. But after trying a 1700 Classic, I wish I had options to gear it down a little. I'm still undecided on the change, but I do like 6th gear and more power!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Aren't you a little old to still be doing circles around the courthouse on Friday night?

What year bike did you ride because they did change the gearing between 2010 and 2011 on the Voyager. Not sure about the other models though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts