Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I just rode in on my freshly bought 2011 Nomad. I rode it 610 miles today, I'm satisfied with the performance but the fuel mileage sucks. I still have my pristine 2008 1600 Nomad, which gets way better mileage. Not a whole lot of difference in rider comfort, the 2011 handles better for sure. This 2011 already had cobra exhaust and a FI2000 fuel processor installed by previous owner. Is there any type of adjustment for this for improved mileage? Another question: I can't figure out why in the world that heat is such a problem from the engine or maybe the exhaust on this newer model. Anyone else seem to notice more of this heat issue? I think I'll be happier if I can reduce the heat. Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I get mid 30-40 mixed hwy/city,gets heat at stop light/sign.not bad moving
think there is heat kit for these

·
Registered
580 Posts
I never really had much luck with the fi2000 when I had it on my Voyager but it is "supposedly" a continuous automatic tuner although I have heard of some people being given instructions to open up the unit to make an adjustment, therefore negating the automatic tuner term. I went with the PCV myself and have never looked back. As far as heat goes you should try one of the 1700's with the fairing and lowers....they put out some heat when slow riding or stop and go traffic. It's just the way they are designed. I have the Dynojet Autotune installed also and am geting around 50 mpg

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I never really had much luck with the fi2000 when I had it on my Voyager but it is "supposedly" a continuous automatic tuner although I have heard of some people being given instructions to open up the unit to make an adjustment, therefore negating the automatic tuner term. I went with the PCV myself and have never looked back. As far as heat goes you should try one of the 1700's with the fairing and lowers....they put out some heat when slow riding or stop and go traffic. It's just the way they are designed. I have the Dynojet Autotune installed also and am geting around 50 mpg
First, the FI2000 is not the autotuner, the Power Pro is. Even the autotune PCV with o2 sensors need a base map to run. Everyone dogs on the PP because it has a slight baseline adjustment. Everything needs a baseline to run from.

Second, I get as low as 32 if I am all in town and as high as 38 if I am on the highway. I have the Thunder BAK, PP, and V&H Slashcuts on my 2012. I love my setup and it runs like mad. The PP made a huge difference in smooth power delivery.

As for the FI2000, there are 3 pots under the hood on the device, you can tune down the power which should, theoretically, net you better fuel consumption. If you do some research, you might be able to find settings that help you achieve your goal.

Heat - I don't really have problems with it, though it does roast my chestnuts from time to time. Generally when I am stopped at a light. I just adjust my legs. When I change the coolant, I am going to put in that ice stuff and see what that does for cooling the engine down.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I run 89 octane. The 91 didn't make a change in performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 13 nomad will average 36 just about all the time.. little better on long trips but not much... i run 87 mostly as i dont see much change in higher.. my brother has the 08 1600 and also averages 36 or so... we both ride easy tho as the gray hairs are thickening..

woodthumb

2013 nomad

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
First, the FI2000 is not the autotuner, the Power Pro is. Even the autotune PCV with o2 sensors need a base map to run. Everyone dogs on the PP because it has a slight baseline adjustment. Everything needs a baseline to run from.

Second, I get as low as 32 if I am all in town and as high as 38 if I am on the highway. I have the Thunder BAK, PP, and V&H Slashcuts on my 2012. I love my setup and it runs like mad. The PP made a huge difference in smooth power delivery.

As for the FI2000, there are 3 pots under the hood on the device, you can tune down the power which should, theoretically, net you better fuel consumption. If you do some research, you might be able to find settings that help you achieve your goal.

Heat - I don't really have problems with it, though it does roast my chestnuts from time to time. Generally when I am stopped at a light. I just adjust my legs. When I change the coolant, I am going to put in that ice stuff and see what that does for cooling the engine down.
Actually the autotune doesn't need any baseline numbers in any of the tables other than the AFR table. I have tried a couple maps from the web site as a starting point and let it tune from there, then loaded a map with all zero's in the fuel table and let the autotune do its thing. Both times it came up with a similar map, it just may take a little longer to get a good tune starting from zero but the numbers aren't required. The only reason I found this out is because all the maps I tried from Dynojet's site ended up being quite a bit too rich for my bike, so I figured if that was the case it might be quicker starting from the other end of spectrum so to speak. Maybe the creator of the thread will chime in as to clarify whether he has the fi2000R or the fi2000 Power Pro. I was never real impressed with the fi2000 3-pot unit on my 1500 either, just a PITA turning little dials a smidgen this way or that was just a crap shoot.......just my opinion :D

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
From what I've seen on the forums most 1700's get the the 30's. I get 32 to to 39 using any grade of gas. I use mostly 89 octane. No processor. As far as heat you have several options. One is to wrap your pipes, two is to install some heat deflectors. I made my own from leather I got from the local cobbler and they have worked for the last couple of years to reduce the heat problem. There are photos in my albums showing them. I also put one of my wife's kitchen pot holders in under the driver's seat where there is an opening in the frame behind the rear cylinder area that lets heat come up under the seat. Lastly I removed the windshield lowers when it gets into the high 80's here in the northeast. It adds to the helmet buffering but helps with the heat when I'm moving. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oddly enough I noticed a boost in mileage right after I replaced my stock air filter with a K&N performance filter. Best $40 I ever spent. Currently I average 36-46 mpg. Cobra slip ones are the only other modification I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts