Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to RACNRAY @ Cycle Race Tek for the work he and Mark did for me on my 2011 1700 Nomad. When I took the bike to the shop, all I had done was take the stock filter out and replace it with a K&N, and install a set of Cobra Tri-Ovals. Mark and Ray installed a Thunder intake gasket, Chuckster's air kit and a PCV w/ignition module. I had also previously had Ray's throttle modification installed.

I'm very pleased with the results! It's almost like riding a brand new bike. There is a noticeable difference in the throttle response and quickness, and as an added bonus . . . it looks like I got a fairly significant increase in gas mileage; looks like at least 5-6 mpg. I didn't get to ride anywhere near as much as I would have liked since I picked up the bike, but I aim to cure that soon! :D

Ray did 3 sets of dyno runs during different stages of the installation and tuning. I'd be willing to share those results if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Oh, you're killing me here! I would LOVE to get to take my bike by Ray's place and have him finish tuning it out! And yes, I would like the results, and even the mapping as well (if that's allowed), as that is exactly the same setup I will have once I get the Tri-Ovals. I know engines are not the same and it wouldn't be a perfect match, but closer than guessing until I find a good tune shop.
I now know that Chuckster's Air Intake System dramatically increased intake noise. Now that you have that with the Tri-Ovals, give it your best shot at describing the sound for me please! I'm just not gonna be happy 'till I get those slip-ons!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, you're killing me here! I would LOVE to get to take my bike by Ray's place and have him finish tuning it out! And yes, I would like the results, and even the mapping as well (if that's allowed), as that is exactly the same setup I will have once I get the Tri-Ovals. I know engines are not the same and it wouldn't be a perfect match, but closer than guessing until I find a good tune shop.
I now know that Chuckster's Air Intake System dramatically increased intake noise. Now that you have that with the Tri-Ovals, give it your best shot at describing the sound for me please! I'm just not gonna be happy 'till I get those slip-ons!
The max. horsepower and torque for my bike with the Tri-Ovals and K&N filter was 75.26 hp and 92.25 lbs. After installing the Thunder gasket, the air kit and the PCV (set to zero), the max. h.p. increased to 78.93, but the torque actually dropped to 90.37. Finally, after the tune and mapping, the max. h.p. was increased to 83.86 and the torque topped out at 100.43 lbs!

After the mods were complete, my bike had roughly a 13% to 14% gain in max. h.p. over stock and about a 10% to 11% gain over just the Tri-Ovals; and the max. torque increased roughly 10% to 11% over stock and about 8% to 9% over the Tri-Ovals alone.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a significant increase in intake noise, but I opted to keep the stock covers; mostly for that very reason. After reading a BUNCH of posts on the Tri-Ovals versus the V&H slip-ons, I decided on the Tri-Ovals knowing that I would be giving up some performance increases, but being reasonably sure that they would be a bit quieter. After installing the Tri-Ovals, I think the V&H have a deeper growl to them, but I really like the Tri-Ovals too. When you run up through the gears or 'get on it' you'll definitely hear them bark . . . I think they sound pretty damn good and they don't deafen the wife; which was also an important consideration!!!:D

I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I don't have a clue what my PCV map looks like. I guess I was so excited to get the bike back that I didn't even think to ask Ray about it. I'll send him a PM or give him a call and I'll let you know what I find out!! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the Thunder Gasket worth and does anyone have a how to ort pics?
If you're asking what the gasket costs, it was right @ $12.50 shipped. Sorry, I can't help with the how-to pics.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like maybe I need to ride down to FL drop off the bike and go to the beach for a few days why Ray works on it. Hum maybe Disney Worald been a while since I went there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like maybe I need to ride down to FL drop off the bike and go to the beach for a few days why Ray works on it. Hum maybe Disney Worald been a while since I went there.
I think I'd opt for the beach . . . just my opinion! And while I can't speak for everyone, Ray certainly treated me well and did a nice job on my bike. I'm very pleased!

·
Registered
701 Posts
The beach yes, but Disney is about 3-4 hrs north of Ray. That would be a long walk without any wheels...lol

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Cool thanks! Anyone out their in Kawai land with a part number?

Thanks!
The throttle body gasket is only available thru Thunder Mfg, the company that makes BAK's. The gasket is not a Kawi part. Go to Thunder's website to order it.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Thanks to RACNRAY @ Cycle Race Tek for the work he and Mark did for me on my 2011 1700 Nomad. When I took the bike to the shop, all I had done was take the stock filter out and replace it with a K&N, and install a set of Cobra Tri-Ovals. Mark and Ray installed a Thunder intake gasket, Chuckster's air kit and a PCV w/ignition module. I had also previously had Ray's throttle modification installed.

I'm very pleased with the results! It's almost like riding a brand new bike. There is a noticeable difference in the throttle response and quickness, and as an added bonus . . . it looks like I got a fairly significant increase in gas mileage; looks like at least 5-6 mpg. I didn't get to ride anywhere near as much as I would have liked since I picked up the bike, but I aim to cure that soon! :D

Ray did 3 sets of dyno runs during different stages of the installation and tuning. I'd be willing to share those results if anyone is interested.
GLAD TO HEAR MIKE...I will be very interested to hear of the mpg when you can get in a ride with the wifey as that is how you do most of your riding.
You told me on the phone yesterday when you got home that you were occasionally "enjoying" the increase in power and still got better mpg. I am interested in the mpg with your wife and somewhat normal riding style, will you get even better mpg?

Looks like Florida will have so much rain over the next few days I hope you'll be able to get some riding in. I may have to use my truck to go up to North Fla tomorrow rather than riding 450 miles in the rain :( I was really looking forward to riding the skoot upi there. Lets see, anywheres between 40-50 mpg on the Vaq vs 15 in the Tundra, it's a no brainer there.

THANX MIKE....AND ENJOY!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm more than a little curious what the mileage will look like after a couple of trips with Debbie on board. I doubt I'll be "enjoying" the increase in power quite as much when she's on the bike, but we'll occasionally twist the grip a bit harder just for fun! I'll be sure to report back after we've had a chance to put some miles on the bike.

I hope the weather will cooperate for your ride north . . . but I don't think I'd hold my breath; the forecast ain't lookin' too good! Be safe and THANKS again!

GLAD TO HEAR MIKE...I will be very interested to hear of the mpg when you can get in a ride with the wifey as that is how you do most of your riding.
You told me on the phone yesterday when you got home that you were occasionally "enjoying" the increase in power and still got better mpg. I am interested in the mpg with your wife and somewhat normal riding style, will you get even better mpg?

Looks like Florida will have so much rain over the next few days I hope you'll be able to get some riding in. I may have to use my truck to go up to North Fla tomorrow rather than riding 450 miles in the rain :( I was really looking forward to riding the skoot upi there. Lets see, anywheres between 40-50 mpg on the Vaq vs 15 in the Tundra, it's a no brainer there.

THANX MIKE....AND ENJOY!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
YEA...sad to say the Tundra is packed up and ready to go:(. I really wanted to ride the skoot but I'm gonna wuss out and travel in the a/c comfort of my pick-em-up truck and arrive dry as a bone.:)

One good thing, I can go bout 350 miles on a tank whereas on the skoot I gotta stop every 180-220 miles depending on speed and wind.

Can't say if I'll get to the site but I'll try.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Mike gave me permission to post the results of the mods on his skoot. The two runs represent the before and after.

The blue run is the before and the only mods were the Tri-Ovals and a K&N filter.

The red run is with Chuckster's BAK, the PCV w/ ignition, a CRT mod and custom mapping.

The first graph is H.P., peak power went up by 8.6. Look at the cursor highlighting 3500 rpm which shows an increase of 6 H.P.!

This is the torque graph, peak torque increased by 8.2 pnds. The increase at 2400rpm is 9 pnds...NICE!!

Mike is saying he is seeing about a 1 to 2 mpg inrease on his initial ride with his wife, we'll have to see what is his long term results are.

Riding his skoot was a pleasure. These 1700's really wake up with these mods!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike is saying he is seeing about a 1 to 2 mpg inrease on his initial ride with his wife, we'll have to see what is his long term results are.

Riding his skoot was a pleasure. These 1700's really wake up with these mods!

Update: Still enjoying the extra "giddy-up" the bike has after Ray finished the mods on the bike! It is difficult to quantify the impovements in the bike without the actual numbers . . . if you want to know what you might expect; just check out the chart from the before and after dyno runs.

Gas mileage update: I originally posted a 5 to 6 mpg increase after Ray finished the mods and tuning on the bike. What I didn't take into account was that I had been riding solo instead of two-up when I reported those numbers. I have since ridden approximately 400 miles with the wife aboard and I am still seeing an increase in mileage; just not the 5 to 6 mpg that I initially reported. I was averaging roughly 38.5 mpg before the changes to the bike and I am now seeing about 40.3 mpg over the 400 miles since the changes. I'm using the onboard computer as a reference.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
More "giddy-up" and better mpg is good news!:D

RACNRAY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts