Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to remove the OEM baffles from my 2011 Nomad 1700.

I've watched all the YouTube videos of the OEM muffler debaffle. They were all of 1500s and 1600s but it looked the same.

I bought a 1-3/4" hole saw and sawed through the right muffler 2 exterior plates that attach to the outside of the baffle pipe. Had a bit of trouble getting the second plate sawed thru, since the baffle pipe was bottoming out in my hole saw. So I zip sawed some slots in the baffle pipe and bent the tabs in so my hole saw could move on in some.

Got the 2nd plate cut all the way thru and the baffle pipe fell loose in the muffler. So I go to pull it out, but it don't come out. It feels like there is something still attached way at the other end of it.

I pull and shake and pull and shake for 5 solid mins. It ain't coming out.

I can stick a 10" sawzall blade in beside the baffle pipe and run it all the way around the baffle pipe in a circle. This is nothing stopping me from doing this. But the baffles won't wiggle out. You can tell it's still attached somewhere at the other end.

Anybody else have this problem ? The ones in the videos just came right out.

UPDATE: ! SEE POST 11 FOR FINAL OUTCOME.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have not performed this procedure on my pipes. However, I read a post somewhere on the internet that it is easier to do what you are doing if you take the slip on off first. Maybe you can get to whatever is holding it easier.
Hope you get it figure out, and if you do, post what you discovered holding it on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's lookin like I'm gonna have to buy some slipons before I really wanted to.

I've got a mess in the end of the muffler and it won't come out. It looks like I would have to cut the muffler apart to get at it. Kawa must be gettun paranoid about US EPA regulations being tampered with.

I think just to see what's going on I will pull both mufflers off and cut about 4" off the end of the muffler. Then maybe I can see in there enough to see what is holding it.

I can always tape off the last 1/2" of it and paint it with BBQ paint.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's lookin like I'm gonna have to buy some slipons before I really wanted to.

I've got a mess in the end of the muffler and it won't come out. It looks like I would have to cut the muffler apart to get at it. Kawa must be gettun paranoid about US EPA regulations being tampered with.

I think just to see what's going on I will pull both mufflers off and cut about 4" off the end of the muffler. Then maybe I can see in there enough to see what is holding it.

I can always tape off the last 1/2" of it and paint it with BBQ paint.
I don't really know what you got going on, but is there anyway you can grab the piece you are talking about with vise grips or such and twist it until it breaks free? Sounds like you are fixin to have a bigger issue than you already have. Just tryin to help ya out.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't know if it's the same as the 900's or not, but on the 900's, the baffle is welded on to the other end. It took me probably 10 minutes on the first one and 6 or 7 minutes on the second one of wiggling back and forth, back and forth, side to side, circles, etc., before the welds finally popped and the baffle slid out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know what you got going on, but is there anyway you can grab the piece you are talking about with vise grips or such and twist it until it breaks free? Sounds like you are fixin to have a bigger issue than you already have. Just tryin to help ya out.
I don't know if it's the same as the 900's or not, but on the 900's, the baffle is welded on to the other end. It took me probably 10 minutes on the first one and 6 or 7 minutes on the second one of wiggling back and forth, back and forth, side to side, circles, etc., before the welds finally popped and the baffle slid out.
I've tried to do that with no success. I think today I will get my dremel and cut off the tabs I bend into the baffle pipe so I could get my hole saw in far enough. Then maybe I can grab it better with some channel locks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just buy some Cobra Slip ons anyhow but just out of curiousity would like to see what's holding it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've tried to do that with no success. I think today I will get my dremel and cut off the tabs I bend into the baffle pipe so I could get my hole saw in far enough. Then maybe I can grab it better with some channel locks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just buy some Cobra Slip ons anyhow but just out of curiousity would like to see what's holding it.
I was able to sell my stock mufflers by keeping them in original condition. There are people who prefer the stock mufflers and may be interested in them. Something to consider (or not) if modifying something else before buying aftermarket anyway.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to sell my stock mufflers by keeping them in original condition. There are people who prefer the stock mufflers and may be interested in them. Something to consider (or not) if modifying something else before buying aftermarket anyway.
Yea that is what I should have done is just left them alone. But now I have this cut up mess inside the muffler and it's only attached at the very far end of the baffle. So I'm gonna have to get it out of there cause it's rattlling around. Once I cut a bit more out I might can twist it more with vise grips.

I've already ordered Cobra Tri-Ovals, I wanted some anyhow. My problem now is somehow getting the baffle out with destroying the muffler. I think I can end up making something out of it that someone might could find use for, especially if I remove the CATs too. Anyhow chaulk this up to the EPA and Kawas attempt to comply, sticking it to me. I should have realized why there were no 1700 debaffle videos.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Since it is loose on both ends, pull the muffler from the bike and take it to a welding or machine shop. Have them weld a bar or all thread rod to the inner pipe. Put the muffler in a hydraulic press and pull the inner pipe out. You will need to check the price of labor first. Of the several places around my house that could do this one would cost more than the new slip-on’s and the other would probably do it for 25.00 because they are both bikers themselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Take a broom handle and stick it into the pipe as far as it will go and then rotate itaround the edge of the muffler several times and that may break it loose. I struggled with my firswt pipe until I did that. The seocnd pipe I did that I soon as I got finished with the hole saw and it popped right out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I just wanted to update you guys on my muffler debaulkle. There is a reason there are no YouTube videos of baffle removal for the 1700 Nomads. Quite a few for the 1500 and 1600. Well I now know the hard way why.

I tried all of your suggestions, the baffle just wasn't coming out. So I'd already ordered my Cobra Tri-Ovals and at this point I was kinda pissed at Kawa and the EPA for making it so damn difficult to get a baffle out. So I started cutting just to find out what was in there.

I made a crude slash cut on the entire muffler with a SawzAll. This cut about 7 inches of the entire muffler off including the end of the problematic baffle. Once I got that off I could see down in there more and the dang thing ran another 8 inches or so still back into the muffler.

It was then welded (quite well) into a big end plate that went across the entire cross section of the muffler. The end plate ran over the baffle so it was closed off too. The exhaust travel was coming thru perforated holes in yet another wall that circumvents the muffler about a 1/4 inch from the exterior wall. The exhaust then enters the baffle through more perforated holes.

The sound is not much difference at all. I thought about taking a rod and shoving it inside what was left of the baffle pipe and just hitting the end cap with a hammer until it either perforated or busted off. But I figured, no I've done enough idiot damage for this incident.

I taped off a 1/4 inch of the end of the muffler and painted it with engine paint and put it back on the bike so I can ride it until my Tri-Ovals arrive. The muffler is trash, but it don't look too bad just looking at.

I will say this, these OEM mufflers are made extremely well. And they are heavy. I was impressed with the construction of them. Nothing cheap or thin about them that's for sure. Just sound kinda like a golf cart though.

Here are some pics to further illustrate what I found.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow

Wonder how you would do that then? Is it even possible? What a mess! And I thought the 900 was tedious.

Some are easier than others though. My buddy wanted to make more noise on his 250 Ninja. Hole saw to the back, pliers to the baffle and it's out! That's it! 'course the baffle was only about 4" long. It's only a 250 after all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The baffles of 2011 nomad and voyagers are not removable. You figure it out already. The way to get more noise out is by drilling through the plates using a circular saw. I think I used a 1 inch saw on the right side cutting 2 baffles from the back, leaving the cat in, and removed the pipe and drilled the 3 rd plate from the intake side. On the left side I drilled through the back all the way including the cat material. I changed the pipes and got a set of slash cut 2010 and straight cut them and installed Rinehart End tips. I posted here my work. Pipes sound great and look just like Rineharts. Might be too late for you, but might help others from going your route.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks RWB, I've been considering cutting the inside out of my mufflers and won't try it now. My mufflers are identical to the Nomads.

RWB, you should have video'd it and posted it on Youtube and then those of us that have searched there could see what not to try. LOL

Sorry for your frustration, but it has been a learning experience for many of us.

Thanks to you too Scorpo for the input on your mod, very interesting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The baffles of 2011 nomad and voyagers are not removable. You figure it out already. The way to get more noise out is by drilling through the plates using a circular saw. I think I used a 1 inch saw on the right side cutting 2 baffles from the back, leaving the cat in, and removed the pipe and drilled the 3 rd plate from the intake side. On the left side I drilled through the back all the way including the cat material. I changed the pipes and got a set of slash cut 2010 and straight cut them and installed Rinehart End tips. I posted here my work. Pipes sound great and look just like Rineharts. Might be too late for you, but might help others from going your route.
I need some help Scorpo understanding exactly what you are referring to. I first drilled out both end plates with a 1-3/4" hole saw. This left the baffle pipe just kinda sticking out about 13" from it's base. I assume this base is what you are calling the third plate. Additionally my hole saw would not go deep enough to reach the second plate without cutting and bending tabs in on said baffle pipe (that was bottoming out inside my hole saw). The second plate was close to 2" from the first.

So anyhow are you saying that after I got the two plates removed I needed to get a long drill bill (say 3/8" size) and drill holes in the base (3rd plate) that's up in the muffler about 13" ?

If that's what you are saying then yes I can see where that might get some more sound. But still have to cut off the muffler since the baffle pipe is just hanging too far out then. Course one could weld a brace on it I guess. But if the muffler has to be cut off might as well do that first and eliminate the 1st & 2nd plate hole saw procedure

I'm pretty much fed up with Kawa mufflers. I've gone Cobra now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Boy I'm glad I ran across this thread. I was about to do this very thing... Whew...

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy I'm glad I ran across this thread. I was about to do this very thing... Whew...

That is the sole reason I posted the final update. Kawa and the EPA are married or at least joined in the coercion of preventing free breathing motorcycles.

Keep your OEM muffs for resale and buy some slip ons, only way around it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you get the Cobra pipes for your bike? If so, did you have to add anything else to the bike to get them to function correctly? I've read posts on here about them backfiring and popping quite a bit.

A lot of people seem to be using a Power Commander. I know nothing about this mod. I"ve never used a Power Commander on any of my bikes and I've had aftermarket pipes on them all except for the FJR1300 and the Nomad.

That is the sole reason I posted the final update. Kawa and the EPA are married or at least joined in the coercion of preventing free breathing motorcycles.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you get the Cobra pipes for your bike? If so, did you have to add anything else to the bike to get them to function correctly? I've read posts on here about them backfiring and popping quite a bit.

A lot of people seem to be using a Power Commander. I know nothing about this mod. I"ve never used a Power Commander on any of my bikes and I've had aftermarket pipes on them all except for the FJR1300 and the Nomad.
No Cobra pipes, just running OEM pipes with Cobra Tri-Oval slip ons. I've always had some popping on decel from the time I bought the bike new. You can get rid of some of decel by plugging off the air lines that feed the exhaust. I have not done that yet, but some other folks on here can fill you in on those details.

I just received the PCV yesterday but have not installed it yet. For the time being I will just run the map downloaded from Dynajet for stock pipes and slip-ons. Later when I put the BAK on, I will be running David Sheek's map. Which he was nice enough to send me already. Some other folks who have ran it say it's a very good map (for the Vulcan 1700 models).

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

Yep, all new bikes suffer from asthma and constipation. :)

So, best to change out the pipes/exhaust and air breather.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts