Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's the price or that the pipes are better but it seems many people in internet land have Cobra pipes on their 1700s. I know Cobra offers a few options compared to V&H's one (Bigshots) but I can't get past the loudness of the Speedster pipes. The speedsters appear to be the best performing option with the built in crossover as no one offers a true 2 into 1 for the 1700 classic/LT line. The best sounding option (in my opinion of course) from Cobra is the slip on mufflers but they are not the best performing. Does anyone here have a set of Speedsters with quiet baffles installed? Something like these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/17363/ITEM/Cobra-Quiet-Core-Baffle.aspx

Here are the Speedsters installed with stock baffles as I heard them in person at a dealer the other day. This is too much noise for me!

If someone has these pipes with quiet baffles, can you post up a video so we can all hear the difference?? Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I saw this clip on youtube a while back... My immediate thought was the bike was idling too high. Sounds like it's up around 1,200 rpms. Should be down around 975. I posted a comment about it but the guy never responded.

I hope this isn't normal My next bike will be the Classic, and the Cobra Speedster Longs are the only pipes I like. I hope someone chimes in about the idle and the quiet baffles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this bike is idling too high for sure.

I think I'm going to grab the Cobra slip on mufflers. Not that I don't prefer full systems but after hearing a set of Speedsters in person it was way too loud. A noisy loud at that. They did look good standing next to the bike. As soon as the guy fired it up though it didn't matter to me how they looked. The plan is to put a good air kit/fuel processor (autotune Cobra) for performance gains. I may loose a few horse by not putting on a full system but I'm sure the slip on mufflers will be fine and allow the bike to breath enough to grab at least a little more in performance.

I found this comparison on a 900 Vulcan and to me the quite core baffles don't do enough to change the sound to make it worth putting a closed baffle into these pipes. Although this is 900 it's a good idea of what I heard in person on the 1700.

Here are the Cobra slip on mufflers. It would be nice to hear these going down the road also.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree, the slip ons sound much better. Damn, I really like the look of the Speedsters, but if that's what they sound like, I won't be putting them on my 1700 either. Have you heard them with the quiet baffles?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not heard them on the 1700 with the quiet baffles, just the stock ones. The video in post #1 is what they sounded like. The video above of the 900 with the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns with stock baffles sounded in the ball park. So I'm assuming the quiet core baffles will change the tone close to what is shown toward the end of that vid which doesn't do it for me. I doubt I'd be better off with a full exhaust and closed baffles than with slip on mufflers and stock. Vance and Hines makes bigshots for the 1700 but at well over $600 I've yet to hear about anyone using them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have not heard them on the 1700 with the quiet baffles, just the stock ones. The video in post #1 is what they sounded like. The video above of the 900 with the Cobra Speedster Slashdowns with stock baffles sounded in the ball park. So I'm assuming the quiet core baffles will change the tone close to what is shown toward the end of that vid which doesn't do it for me. I doubt I'd be better off with a full exhaust and closed baffles than with slip on mufflers and stock. Vance and Hines makes bigshots for the 1700 but at well over $600 I've yet to hear about anyone using them.
The Big Shots are very loud, much louder than the Cobras. You wouldn't like them.

Here's another YouTube clip of the Cobra slip-ons on the 1700 Classic. They're a nice set of pipes. The sound is perfect.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I found this comparison on a 900 Vulcan and to me the quite core baffles don't do enough to change the sound to make it worth putting a closed baffle into these pipes. Although this is 900 it's a good idea of what I heard in person on the 1700.
Hey, my video!

I don't know what specifically you want regarding sound. Of course I'm speaking about a 900 here but when I put the quiet baffles in, I couldn't tell a difference at idle or low rpm. I can, however, tell a difference while cruising. With the standard baffles, the noise at cruising speed would get into my helmet and just rattle around in there. The quiet baffles took enough of the edge off of that sound that I could ride around with no earplugs if I wanted. I know I can describe that all I want but it doesn't really make sense until you hear it first hand on your own bike. I decided to leave the quiet baffles in for now, for reasons other than sound.

Anyway, I hope that gave you at least some useful information.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 1700 Classic sounds quite different from the 1500 Classic. I'm starting to think I've been comparing apples and oranges here. My 1500 sounds like a typical low-revving v-twin, with that "potato-potato-potato" sound. The 1700 doesn't seem to have the same rhythm at all, it's more like a steady stream of sound, so it seems to be revving higher compared to the 1500. It doesn't seem to have the v-twin sound that I'm used to. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing about the 1700's is they seem to be set to idle high out of the box. When a set of Cobra's is put on like in the first video it exaggerates the issue. If you listen to any 1700 classic/lt with a set of Cobras on YouTube they all sound like they are idling way too fast because no one is messing with the stock idle speed.

I've read a thread on here where Racnray dropped his down 50 RPM and it does make a difference as I've done this myself although it's currently at stock right now. The 1700 idle can be adjusted electronically by increments of + or - 50. It's all about what you get used to. I can tell you with stock mufflers the bike sounds ok at idle but as soon as it warms up it looses some grunt. If you blip the throttle it's totally tame with virtually no noise but if you get into it on the highway you get a nice purr and you realize there is a decent sized motor there.

I've seen that video you posted also. I'm wondering how difficult it really is to use the stock seals he talks about. Those are 20 bucks a piece. What the world needs is a video of the Cobra slip on mufflers in motion and under power. I guess it will be me. I'm going to go with those and bank my performance gains on the autotune and airkit. I've done the bigshots thing on another bike and the best cruising I had with that bike was while wearing earplugs! I'm just looking for a balanced sound and maybe a couple HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts