Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just noticing that the 1700 Classic is not in the lineup for 2013 or 2014. Am I going to have a hard time finding a dealership that has one next spring, or is it a case of "too many of the previous year imported, no need to import more until the supply dwindles"?

Plus, how many of you would consider the Star Stryker as a worthy alternative if I cannot find one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you looking for a left-over model? If you're anywhere near Kansas, I'd try Jay Hatfield Kawasaki. They have the best prices. Saved me around $4000 on a new 2011 Voyager in the summer of 2011. Might be worth a look and a trip if you're close.

The Stryker is a nice looking machine and if it's anything like a Raider, it's a great machine!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm wondering if the classic WILL make a comeback. The 1700 classic evidently didn't sell well and neither did the V2K. Even though both were fantastic bikes. I think the issue is, most folks (I KNOW there are exceptions! You're one of them and all of the V2K owners are!), most folks when they want a 1500cc+ bike, they want something with some touring accouterments these days. Hard bags, maybe a fairing. I think a lot of it is cost, if they are gonna spend that much on a bike, it ought to have hard bags or something! So the Nomad and the full-fairing models remain, but the Classic doesn't.

My theory anyway... I think the 900 will remain Kawasaki's 'basic cruiser' whilst the 1700 will focus on touring bikes.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
It was probably too much to have the Classic LT and the Nomad in the lineup. They are virtually identical, except for the hard bags and cruise control on the Nomad.

They still have the 1700 Classic, but its only the 2012, though I would think that the 1700 Custom would have been a good fit for the 2013/14 lineup.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There are plenty of left over 1700 classics around here for about $10,000 new. The stryker is a much different beast, a slightly chopped front end, 1300cc's, if you want more of a touring type i would consider the vstar 1300, much more like the kawi classic.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would not even compare a stryker to a classic. Two different bikes for two different purposes. The stryker is a cool custom, but not as cool as the raider.

The classic is, well, a classic. neutral riding position, can be a boulevard cruiser or an overnighter.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So, I was just noticing that the 1700 Classic is not in the lineup for 2013 or 2014. Am I going to have a hard time finding a dealership that has one next spring, or is it a case of "too many of the previous year imported, no need to import more until the supply dwindles"?

Plus, how many of you would consider the Star Stryker as a worthy alternative if I cannot find one?
I paid $9000 plus tax (no freight, no dealer prep fees) for a new leftover 2011 this last Feb.

Not sure where you live but do a search or have a dealer search for you. There are good deals to be had I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I hope they haven't discontinued it. I was told they can still be ordered. I was seriously considering the 1700 classic as my next ride. I like the price, and I need more power than my 900. It was the perfect bike.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I hope they haven't discontinued it. I was told they can still be ordered. I was seriously considering the 1700 classic as my next ride. I like the price, and I need more power than my 900. It was the perfect bike.
Don't discount the Nomad. The cruise is amazing and once you've used electronic cruise you will wonder how you ever did without it.

I picked up my '09 Nomad used in fall of '11 with 1700 miles on it for 8000. It was still under warranty. Did a quick release kit on the windshield and other goodies.

Hard bags are awesome. Easy to use and lockable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure why anyone would not at least get a nomad.
Some of us buy what we think we can reasonably afford. When I bought mine, I went in to look at the Classic. Turned out my dealer had the LT on sale for only $500 more than the Classic. The price jump to the Nomad was more than I was comfortable spending at the time.

My soft bags suit my needs just fine. Next one will have hard bags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Classic this spring and was coming off a BMW 1150RT. I wanted something more relaxed and powerful. I have to say that the extra $$ for the Nomad was a factor but other things as well. I like the single sided pipes better than the duals etc.
But the one thing I did want was the Nomad backrest on the Classic for my better-half. When Found out I could place the Nomad backrest on the Classic without any mods, it was the selling point. From there, I can customize the rest with my own bags etc for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Don't discount the Nomad. The cruise is amazing and once you've used electronic cruise you will wonder how you ever did without it.

I picked up my '09 Nomad used in fall of '11 with 1700 miles on it for 8000. It was still under warranty. Did a quick release kit on the windshield and other goodies.

Hard bags are awesome. Easy to use and lockable.
I understand, but it's almost double in price. I have a buddy that has the Vaquero, and I love to ride it. It's got decent power and the cruise was nice. Mostly though, I liked the 6th gear. I have nerve damage in my hand (throttle side of course), so when I cruise on the highway with my 900, my hand starts to get annoyed. With the Vaq, the revs were down on the highway and it was comfortable at 85 and under (never took it higher as 75 is the max speed limit here).

Some of us buy what we think we can reasonably afford. When I bought mine, I went in to look at the Classic. Turned out my dealer had the LT on sale for only $500 more than the Classic. The price jump to the Nomad was more than I was comfortable spending at the time.

My soft bags suit my needs just fine. Next one will have hard bags.
The price point from the 1700 to the Nomad is 5000. That's a lot of change. Especially when I can get a fairing with a radio and hard bags installed for about 1500-2000. That's a good amount of savings overall.

I purchased a 2012 Classic this spring and was coming off a BMW 1150RT. I wanted something more relaxed and powerful. I have to say that the extra $$ for the Nomad was a factor but other things as well. I like the single sided pipes better than the duals etc.
But the one thing I did want was the Nomad backrest on the Classic for my better-half. When Found out I could place the Nomad backrest on the Classic without any mods, it was the selling point. From there, I can customize the rest with my own bags etc for much cheaper.
This is exactly it. I prefer fork mounted fairings, so that's a plus and hard bags are decently cheap. They don't 'fit' as well with the shape and all, but it would also make mine more unique.

If money was no object, I'd have the Electra Glide top of the line model with all the accessories. BUT...money is an object and I have to get what I can afford. So it might be the 1700 and build from there.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I understand, but it's almost double in price. I have a buddy that has the Vaquero, and I love to ride it. It's got decent power and the cruise was nice. Mostly though, I liked the 6th gear. I have nerve damage in my hand (throttle side of course), so when I cruise on the highway with my 900, my hand starts to get annoyed. With the Vaq, the revs were down on the highway and it was comfortable at 85 and under (never took it higher as 75 is the max speed limit here).

With your nerve damage you would love having the electronic cruise control. You can just rest your hand on the bars. You don't have to grip the throttle to hold speed.

Major improvement in comfort. The riding position is slightly different between the classic and the Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager so make sure your ready for that as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I too felt the classic was best for me $$wise when I traded last July. even after adding saddlebags, crash bar and windshield I was way under the price he gave me for the nomad. but they screwed the pooch at delivery. when the guy brought it around for me, he crashed it in the parking lot right in front of me. totaled the classic before I ever got to ride it. couple of days later I had a deal on the nomad that was 2500$ below what he had previously quoted. im so glad I wound up with the nomad. backrest, floorboards, cruise control etc. im using the cruise all the time and really recommend it if you can fit it into your budget!!!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
With your nerve damage you would love having the electronic cruise control. You can just rest your hand on the bars. You don't have to grip the throttle to hold speed.

Major improvement in comfort. The riding position is slightly different between the classic and the Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager so make sure your ready for that as well.

I too felt the classic was best for me $$wise when I traded last July. even after adding saddlebags, crash bar and windshield I was way under the price he gave me for the nomad. but they screwed the pooch at delivery. when the guy brought it around for me, he crashed it in the parking lot right in front of me. totaled the classic before I ever got to ride it. couple of days later I had a deal on the nomad that was 2500$ below what he had previously quoted. im so glad I wound up with the nomad. backrest, floorboards, cruise control etc. im using the cruise all the time and really recommend it if you can fit it into your budget!!!
Trust me, I haven't ruled out the Vaq/Nomad. I love them. It's just going to come down to money when the time comes... I will try for the Vaq first, then the nomad, then the classic.

FYI, I got confirmation that the 1700 has not been discontinued, they just don't sell that many, so it's more of a special order item. They can get 'em, but you have to order them. The shop I was at today said they only sold 1 last year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts