Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm still breaking in my 2011 Nomad 1700 and so far I've only ordered Ray's Kury Iso modified grips and GrassHoppers Driver backrest pad.

But I'm looking around for Big Air solutions and I need a bit of help. First off on the bike I had before, all the big air kits were not just a filter, they were a whole new holder bracket that bolted to the directly to the OEM throttlebody and eliminated the OEM backplate and accomodated a wider filter element behind the OEM cover.

With Kawa's I'm not seeing any definitive revelations. First off the filter is set going "in" to the throttlebody instead of wrapping around at right angles to it. So just replacing the filter only with say a K&N one is only going to help in as much as the K&N is less restrictive.

I did see something to the effect of a "Big Air Kit" that was in the $300 range but the 1700 engine was not listed in the fitment.

Appreciate any info or links you guys can throw my way. And BTW this forum has been fantastic so far and was a gigantic help in helping me to learn and feel more confident in purchasing a new Nomad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When it comes to intakes the only name you need to know for the 1700's is Thunder... :D

I LOVE my Thunder intake, the difference in performance, sound, and heat reduction has been superb. I've wrapped the exhaust header, installed V&H slash cuts and a PCV and am using a map of my own creation. Performance increase over stock in all areas has been even better than I'd hoped, this big girl will perform... These pictures simply do not do justice to just how good my Vaquero looks with those gawd-awful dog bowls off the bike and thrown in the trash...

www.thundermfg.com/store

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If you want to reuse the stock covers just order the #51010 kit from Thunder.That's what I have and here is a picture of the kit with the cover off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nothing at all against Thunder, I had their Teardrop kit on my carbed '99 Nad and it was a nice kit but in the interest of alternatives..

Chucksters got a kit setup for the stock cover configuration http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28600 and may have or be doing a right side only setup as he did for the 1600. I guess it depends on whether you want to keep the stock look or loose the dog bowls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want to reuse the stock covers just order the #51010 kit from Thunder.That's what I have and here is a picture of the kit with the cover off.
I love that pic. Really shows the setup off and how nicely done it is. Does that kit come with the K&N?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes it does come with the K&N Filter, I have the Thunder stock cover kit on my Vaquero.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes it does come with the K&N Filter, I have the Thunder stock cover kit on my Vaquero.
Thanks.. I thought it probably did. The Teardrop kit I had came with. Did it increase the intake noise much? Still undecided yet if I want to keep the stock setup for ease of returning to complete stock or hack out all the intake tubes and just go with a right side kit. I do like the look of Darkstar's setup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks.. I thought it probably did. The Teardrop kit I had came with. Did it increase the intake noise much? Still undecided yet if I want to keep the stock setup for ease of returning to complete stock or hack out all the intake tubes and just go with a right side kit. I do like the look of Darkstar's setup.
Honestly I can't give you a answer regarding intake noise, my bike only had 2 miles on it when I changed the exhaust, air intake, Rays throttle mod, and PCV modification.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Yes it does increase intake noise. The Thunder stock cover kit probably is a little quieter than the Thunder round kit. I have the round kit and it is definitely louder than stock.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Been running the K&N in stock box for a while. It made an improvement with slips and fuel box. Just ordered the 51010 kit today. It's the cheapest option and gets the job done. I was going to do the decorative plate route and forced air intake but the cylinder fins are not finished like on other bikes. I don't like the look even with the plate. I'm going to try and get by with my Cobra fuel box with the air kit until winter. Then I will be wrapping my pipes and adding a PCV with ignition and autotune modules using the world famous David Sheek map as a base.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks for all the links and info. Kinda makes me wonder why I wasn't finding any of these in searches. I guess I just didn't know what the heck to look for. But yea this is what I'm used to seeing on Harley Big Air kits.

1700Classic I'd really like to hear all the prices, steps, performance gains etc when you start putting on your PC and ignition. It will be awhile yet before I do anything in that area, but could use some good info to help me decide if I really want to spend the xtra bucks over a Doebeck Setup for $200. It did wonders for my Harley, but the Harley ran pretty strong even before the Doebeck.

I'm assuming you're getting maps from David so you won't need a Dyno.

·
Registered
558 Posts
1700Classic I'd really like to hear all the prices, steps, performance gains etc when you start putting on your PC and ignition. It will be awhile yet before I do anything in that area, but could use some good info to help me decide if I really want to spend the xtra bucks over a Doebeck Setup for $200. It did wonders for my Harley, but the Harley ran pretty strong even before the Doebeck.

I'm assuming you're getting maps from David so you won't need a Dyno.
Right now I'm running a K&N in stock box, fresh air hose blocked, iat sensor relocated, slip on Cobras, and Cobra 3 pot fuel box. The difference over stock is so noticeable that I could never run stock again. I got some low speed hesitation at times and believe it has more to do with the Cobra box. So I'm doubling down with a air kit and PCV. I'm expecting decent gains but want to get to a point where the throttle is crisp and smooth every time at everyplace in the power band. I will get the bike dyno'd if it's needed. Hoping the map will be a good base.

·
Registered
636 Posts
bike dynoed

In my opinion a dyno tune is the only way to tune a fuel injected bike. My VTX was a totally diffirent bike after the dyno tune for sure. When I get an airkit on mine it will go straight to Victory Drive Vtwin in Indianapolis to be tuned. They have made me realize the potentional of what a dyno tune can do. This is just my opinion so dont jump all over me!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just ordered Chuckster's Stock Air Cover Kit with Round K&N Filter.
Only $180 including shipping to Canada vs. the Thunder Kit at $213 (not including delivery).

Like the Thunder Kit, it requires that the Air Temp Sensor be relocated to the new Aluminum Mounting Plate. I'm wondering what affect this might have on the "perceived" air temperature as there are now two new factors involved:

1) The relatively open new backing plate should allow a more direct path for cooler outside air to flow over and be "read" by the temperature sensor.

However...

2) The sensor is now attached to a large aluminum plate that may become "heat soaked" and cause the sensor to misread the actual temperature after some time and especially if the bike is not moving.

...any thoughts? Or, am I over-thinking this? ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just ordered Chuckster's Stock Air Cover Kit with Round K&N Filter.
Only $180 including shipping to Canada vs. the Thunder Kit at $213 (not including delivery).

Like the Thunder Kit, it requires that the Air Temp Sensor be relocated to the new Aluminum Mounting Plate. I'm wondering what affect this might have on the "perceived" air temperature as there are now two new factors involved:

1) The relatively open new backing plate should allow a more direct path for cooler outside air to flow over and be "read" by the temperature sensor.

However...

2) The sensor is now attached to a large aluminum plate that may become "heat soaked" and cause the sensor to misread the actual temperature after some time and especially if the bike is not moving.

...any thoughts? Or, am I over-thinking this? ;)
I would assume if heat soak is involved that it would still be there regardless of the air temp coming into the intake due to the location of the sensor. Once the motor warms up there goes the ambient reading. (If that's the goal.)

When I moved my IAT sensor it did something because I needed to adjust my FI2000R down which at least gave the perception of a harder pulling bike but my random low speed hesitation came back a bit. Still dicking with the first pot on the FI2000R. The bike performs flawlessly at about 40 mph though 80-85mph. Smooth, reliable, etc. 0-40 is a different story. When I put the thunder on this week once it gets here I would be pleased with the same results and a harder pull. Then this winter I'm putting on the PCV with ignition and autotune and will wrap the pipes while I'm at it. If that doesn't solve the world's problems nothing will.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Big Air Kit

I have the RoaringTwinz air kit. Actually made by Performance Machine and RoaringTwinz makes the back plate for our bikes. Got the Thunder manufacturing dress up plate for the other side. Here they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the RoaringTwinz air kit. Actually made by Performance Machine and RoaringTwinz makes the back plate for our bikes. Got the Thunder manufacturing dress up plate for the other side. Here they are.
I like the unique kit there. I'm all for seeing jugs but I can't get past the unfinished fins on the cylinders. Definitely not a show motor. My warrior had a nice set of jugs and I showed them off. I wonder why they did that with the motor?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Great

That looks awesome! No more dog bowls thats what I am interested in!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I buy the ThunderMax Big Air Kit #51010 - (Kawasaki VN 1700 - Stock Cover - No adapter required)

Will I still have the option of removing the stock air box so as to let that area cool a little better ? Also I've read where some folks plug off the fresh air return and get rid of the reed valve. Is all this still possible with 51010 kit ?

Or is the stock box what the left side plate mounts to ? Just wondering what my options are in that area.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If I buy the ThunderMax Big Air Kit #51010 - (Kawasaki VN 1700 - Stock Cover - No adapter required)

Will I still have the option of removing the stock air box so as to let that area cool a little better ? Also I've read where some folks plug off the fresh air return and get rid of the reed valve. Is all this still possible with 51010 kit ?

Or is the stock box what the left side plate mounts to ? Just wondering what my options are in that area.
Both the Chuckster and Thunder Stock Air Kits come with a plug for the single line to the Air Injection System. No-one to date makes plates to cover/block the actual Reed Valves on the heads. You can also not simply remove the Air Valve Switch without throwing an engine code.

Both kits attach directly to the throttle body face so you can fully remove the left side filter housing, but some choose not to. The exposed cylinders do not have any fins and look rather bare. My experience has been that leaving the left side open does not help much, if at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts