Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten an aftermarket belt from Gates, etc. If you have successfully done this, please share your part number here. Please only people who have direct knowledge of an aftermarket belt definitely fitting a 1700 need respond just to keep things organized.

Thank you

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears as tho I am the guinea pig. I ordered the Gates HTD 1-1/8 139T 14mm pitch belt yesterday. I will give you my thoughts once I receive it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Aftermarket Gates Belt Has Arrived

My new belt has arrived. It looks to be the exact same type teeth as the OEM belt. I have a new front pulley as my current one has a pretty pronounced groove that the belt runs in. I'm going to wait until next year to change it as I don't want to run a new belt on a fairly used pulley. This is the belt I ordered from Mocabike and the Gates part number:

Gates HTD Rear Belt For For Harley-Davidson (CC640077)

Here is a picture of the fitment:

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So, just out of curiosity; why did you replace the belt? What advantage does this give? Since the 1700 comes stock with a carbon fibre belt that will last the life of the bike; what advantage is there to the Gates? Just curious!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So, just out of curiosity; why did you replace the belt? What advantage does this give? Since the 1700 comes stock with a carbon fibre belt that will last the life of the bike; what advantage is there to the Gates? Just curious!
It may very well last the life of the bike, but I've heard of many people having to replace them. I was on a trip to Alaska last month with 3 buddy's (1 Honda VTX1300, 1Can-Am Spyder, and 1 Vulcan 900). The Vulcan 900 broke the drive belt which resulted in us being held up for 3 days. The bike is 10 yrs old with 60,000 km's on it. It got me thinking about getting an aftermarket spare to bring with me if the price was right. The belt for my Voyager is $600 at the closest dealer to me in Canada which is rediculous. The $200 (including shipping) price tag of the aftermarket belt is a no-brainer so I ordered it. I am using it as a spare just in case. My new aftermarket belt is also a Gates by the way. It is made with Aramid fibers. Aramid is a class of strong, synthetic fibers. In this family are the trademarked names Kevlar, Nomex Twaron, and Technora belonging to various companies. Kevlar is a trademarked name owned by DuPont........or so I've read :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
My bike is at 50K km's, and on it's third belt... Life of the bike? Not so much.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats pretty strange, I've replaced original belt on 48k Km's because of whining noise and it looks like it will last at least same time.
Was the whining noise the only reason you replaced the belt, what shape was the front pulley in...any wear groove in it? Did the noise go away......sorry for all the questions :smile2:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bike is at 50K km's, and on it's third belt... Life of the bike? Not so much.
What was the issue with the belt each time you replaced it? Did you replace any sprockets at the same time?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was the whining noise the only reason you replaced the belt, what shape was the front pulley in...any wear groove in it? Did the noise go away......sorry for all the questions :smile2:
Belt noise was the only reason why i replaced original belt. I tried to change belt tension - but that would only change the sound of whine, never managed to make it quiet. No significant signs of wear on it and pulleys are fine too.
You're welcome.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Belt noise was the only reason why i replaced original belt. I tried to change belt tension - but that would only change the sound of whine, never managed to make it quiet. No significant signs of wear on it and pulleys are fine too.
You're welcome.
Thanks for the info. Is it quiet after the belt change tho

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it is :)
Ok, my front drive pulley has a very noticeable ridge that it runs in that you can easily see and feel but the rear pulley is good. I think I may just change out the front one first to see what difference it makes. If I still have the whining I will change the belt also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, my front drive pulley has a very noticeable ridge that it runs in that you can easily see and feel but the rear pulley is good. I think I may just change out the front one first to see what difference it makes. If I still have the whining I will change the belt also.
Hmm, I definetely remember something like this on my front pulley, at least there is noticeble color change on it. Like on this one, darker area at the lower part.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, I definetely remember something like this on my front pulley, at least there is noticeble color change on it. Like on this one, darker area at the lower part.
When I click on the picture a link to some weird stuff pops up, but my pulley is the same. The inner edge that is towards the engine is not where the belt runs so it still has the factory grey color. The place where is runs and wears has the shiny chrome look to it......plus the noticeable groove

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see a yellow bar......anyone see a yellow bar? I get what you're talking about anyways

1 - 20 of 36 Posts