Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This might seem a little long winded, but here go. New rider here. I just picked up a 2006 Mean Streak 1600 at the beginning of April and joined the forum here to ask about an issue that I'm having. A couple weeks ago, I went to install a Hypercharger to replace my stock air box. However, once I got almost everything together, I realized that not all the parts were included. So I put all the stock parts back where they went. After a headache here or there, she runs almost like she did before I tinkered with it. The problem I was having was when I gave some throttle, up to over 3k, the bike would stay at that RPM. The only way I was able to get it to come down was to put it in gear, and slowly release the clutch until it climbed down. However, once I pulled the clutch back in, it would climb back up, without me applying throttle at all.

During my disassembly, I took the intake manifold off and when I replaced it, I didn't replace the gaskets (i know, rookie move) but I ended up taking to a mechanic. He removed everything I did (air box, air ducting, throttle body, intake manifold) replaced all gaskets, a reinstalled. Now it's having another issue that stumps even the mechanic. I'll do my best to describe it:

When idling, the bike hovers at about 600 RPM (manual says it should be at 900-1000). When I put it in gear with the clutch pulled, it drops to 400-500 RPM, barely enough to keep it running, and then it dies. However, if i keep tapping the throttle, it stays running. When I actually ride it and am cruising at about 2500 RPM and let go of the throttle, the bike continues to run at 2500 RPM and very slowly revs down, until it hits about 2000 RPM, then suddenly drops off. I'm completely stumped and I hope I can get some sort of an idea here.

-Zach

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Still sounds like you have a vacuum leak.
Take a spritz bottle filled with soapy water, spray around anything you had apart and look for bubbles to quickly disappear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts