Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all - as some of you will remember, I had problems with my "dream bike" 2007 VN900LT early on 2 years ago. We finally got everything to where it's doing better than when I bought it, but I really am not sure that I trust it for me now. Have a possible on a 2007 VN1600 dressed, and wanted to get some input on the reliability there for a 7 year old bike with about 2700 miles for US $4200.

Gotta say that if I have mech problems in the next couple of years, this will be the end of me and a bike. Wife isn't happy that the mostly "bullet proof" VN900 has cost me a grand in repairs, a year off the road while paying for it, and still has less than 20K miles. All in just over 2 years now. Original 2008 Korean Hyosung 250cc cruiser bike that most of my friends were against me buying went 6 years and almost 30K miles with few problems that weren't covered by a warranty. Kinda hard to fight a reliability battle there...

Please, folks - can anyone give me a decent idea if going here is a good idea in general? I know that no one can predict the future, but I'm grasping at straws right now. And since our combined weight is around 500lb, I think that the VN1600 is probably a better way to go overall anyway. Can't think that we qualify for loans overall that are better than we were 2 years ago, so if I can do a decent deal, the VN1600 might be our best bet.

Anyway, gotta hand it to SFair and Romans for their help last year - and sorry that I hadn't updated sooner.

Mac.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, all - as some of you will remember, I had problems with my "dream bike" 2007 VN900LT early on 2 years ago. We finally got everything to where it's doing better than when I bought it, but I really am not sure that I trust it for me now. Have a possible on a 2007 VN1600 dressed, and wanted to get some input on the reliability there for a 7 year old bike with about 2700 miles for US $4200.

Gotta say that if I have mech problems in the next couple of years, this will be the end of me and a bike. Wife isn't happy that the mostly "bullet proof" VN900 has cost me a grand in repairs, a year off the road while paying for it, and still has less than 20K miles. All in just over 2 years now. Original 2008 Korean Hyosung 250cc cruiser bike that most of my friends were against me buying went 6 years and almost 30K miles with few problems that weren't covered by a warranty. Kinda hard to fight a reliability battle there...

Please, folks - can anyone give me a decent idea if going here is a good idea in general? I know that no one can predict the future, but I'm grasping at straws right now. And since our combined weight is around 500lb, I think that the VN1600 is probably a better way to go overall anyway. Can't think that we qualify for loans overall that are better than we were 2 years ago, so if I can do a decent deal, the VN1600 might be our best bet.

Anyway, gotta hand it to SFair and Romans for their help last year - and sorry that I hadn't updated sooner.

Mac.
You are looking for confirmation that an 07, sounds like a Nomad with 2700 Miles on it for 4200 is a deal or reliable?

So first off, I've got an 04, with about 50K miles on it, probably the most reliable bike I've ever owned, and I've owned about 30-40 bikes. (I've actually got a Korean 50cc skooter for the SO and that is the hugest POS I've ever come across) I don't know what your issues with the 900 were but they are known to be reliable as well. So as with most issues with almost anything it's user error. The PO of your 900 likiely didn't change the fluids enough or drove it too hard or whatever. I'm the second owner of mine. The PO maintained the bike really well right up until he didn't, which cost him getting a complete engine rebuild, but largely because he didn't maintain the fluid levels.

An 07 with 2700 miles on it isn't even completely broken in. As long as it hasn't spent the last 7 years outside in the elements uncovered I can't imagine a better deal unless it's free.

But remember, 2 up at 500lbs on an 800lb bike is 1300 lbs. And a VN1600 is not a nimble little 250. It's a heavy pig at slow speeds in parking lots. I'm 6'4 and 250 and it's a heavy pig. Just know what you're getting into. But as far as good deal and reliable I think it is.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It doesn't matter if its a Classic, Mean Streak, or Nomad. An 07 1600 with 2700 miles on it for $4200 is a good deal unless like Sidewalkman said it has been outside all it's UN-ridden life.

Reality check, a 7 year old bike with that few miles on it raises questions that if not answered mean spending money. More than likely it has been sitting in someones garage for the last six years collecting dust. The tires look good but are 7 years old and must, not need , to be replaced $. No matter what the owner say's all the fluids must, not need, to be replaced $$. If you do most of this yourself the biggest expense is the tires, no big deal. Buying any used vehicle is a crap shoot. Don't get me wrong almost everything I own (except my home) I bought used.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I purchased a 03 1600 Classic a yr, ago last month from a new rider that didn't do his research and didn't realize what a 1600 is at low to parking lot speeds, and that is it's a Bear or as prev. stated a Pig. He got out twice on it and both times with his wife which was a bad idea. The bike sat in his carport under a cover for 2 yrs. I bought it, had to change both tires and all fluids and had the local shop do that and a full tune. The point of all this is that after 3k not one problem and I'm still just under 6k miles. I've owned several bikes & I have to say this so for has been as dependable as I could hope for and more so than some I'm owned. Sounds to me your looking at a fair to good deal, just remember what Sidewalkman said and be prepared to spend that money. Good luck & ride safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a '07 900 and a '08 1600 Nomad both with about 13000Km on them .
They have both been great. If you want the 1600 go for it , yea it's heavy at low speeds.
Way better than the 900 at Hiway speeds and rides better too

·
Banned
179 Posts
I replaced my 2005 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 with the 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 I have now and love it. Not to say anything bad about the Honda I owned as it did the job it was expected of it but this Vulcan 1600 is a monster compared to the Honda VT750.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had 05 1600 classic and absolutely loved this bike.25k miles not one problem but traded in for 13 hd roadking which i like but only 10k in yr and just dont trust for any long distance riding.classic i would have taking coast to coast w/o hesitation.hope this helps and i also agree 4200 is good deal

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 1600 is heavy in a parking lot, but glides like a Cadillac on the highway.
I'd go for it, and as suggested, change all the fluids and get a new pair of sneakers and ride that thing into the sunset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts