Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now for part 2....dreaded runs but no go... she starts right up, pull in the clutch.. feels firm.. drop in gear...no move at all. I get the jerk when i drop it in gear, but upon release of the clutch handle it doesn't move..time to tear down the clutch assemble. Anyone have a quick fix idea?
This could have been the reason it was parked and not used any more. But on the positive note, i have changed clutched before and the motor sound awesome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sfair, is there a sure fire way to check what isnt moving? I know the motor is running, I know that the back tire isnt. I didn't find a trouble shooting in the shop manual on this. i can replace any of these parts, but would rather narrow down the culprit. Thanks in advance. Robert

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
What happens is the master cylinder relief port becomes plugged with sludge and when you pull the clutch, it stays pulled in the engine and causes it to slip.

Looking at your tank, all hydraulic systems will look the same. My recommendation is that the clutch and braking systems be pulled apart, cleaned, inspected and all rubber parts replaced. Not to do so will put the safety of yourself and others in jeopardy.

Might as well do this now as you WILL be doing it later.

Ask any questions as there are specific procedures that MUST be followed to the letter when working on the brakes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir, that makes sense now, Yes the clutch fluid looks like rust as well. I will get to rebuilding the slave and master. Also checking the brakes as well.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Remember, NO petroleum based cleaners/lubes to touch any brake or clutch component.
Do not be tempted to re-use old rubber components as they are now contaminated and rendered unserviceable!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never had luck rebuilding slave cylinders. Whats your recommendation on this. Used from reliable source or rebuild? if i rebuild, clean with brake clean, the brake fluid?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Hot soapy water followed with a complete dry works well.
Aerosol brake clean works good to, but consult label as some do not recommend to contact rubber components.
Assemble with new rubber and brake fluid and you should have no problem.
If you are not confident, replace with new. Used items will need to be rebuilt too. Never just bolt on a used component as this is bad practice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, after opening the clutch master cylinder, it looked like mud. I cleaned the master cylinder, cleaned out the ports, yes both of them. I then removed the side cover to access the slave Cylinder. i bleed it , then removed it to see it it was going back and forth. It was only moving slightly. After cleaning the system thoroughly and checking the clutch rod, i reinstalled everything. I now have a moving motorcycle. Sfair, your a great man , thanks for the help. yes i still have more to do, but it runs and sounds nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This weekend, i received 2 new exedra white walls, so i tore the bike down again and changed the tires, cleaned some of the chrome, cleaned down the motor where i have an oil leak. While i had it down i cleaned all the fluids, bleed the brakes and added new brake pads. I did get out a @ 10 mile ride to shake it down. As i get more miles on her, i will get more comfortable going longer distance. Till then i am enjoying the time getting to know this bike inside and out. Thanks for the tips and help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts