Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1500 nomad resurection/ help needed

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  05mach1 
#1 ·
Well the fun begins, any comment or offering of advise is welcome...really welcome. 2000 nomad 1500 FI
It started with taking off the tank and pouring out the turpentine, they called gas. there is no way they rode this bike in the last 7 months let alone last year. So a tank clean is in order. Any suggestions ?
Next, the new battery arrived...BROKEN, so now we wait for another battery.
Lots to start with. How about seafoam in the fuel lines to get the fuel injectors soaking? where do i pour or spray it in?
Put seafoam in the throttle body maybe?
Replace the plugs, add some seafoam in the cylinders?
techron in the tank? also should i pull the fuel pump and replace the filter while i'm in there?
Let me know. need expert help here guys.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If that last pic was the filler neck, carb cleaner may be better than seafoam for this job. BE CAREFUL, IT WILL EAT PAINT!!!! Perhaps use a damp rag of it on the neck and pour a can or 2 in the tank with all openings plugged. Swich this around in tank a few minutes, the drain. Use a pour in can for this. Then use spray type in hoses and throttle body. As for the cylinders, would see if it will turn over freely with starter, perhap a light fogging of WD40 or such with new plugs and gas. Wouldnt hurt to treat the 1st couple tanks of gas with seafoam to help clean out the pump and injectors once running, this is if it starts with fresh gas, plugs and battery. An oil change would be good also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
thanks Rick, i hadnt thought of carb cleaner. i was thinking of cleaner in the tank with shot and rattle the tank to get it cleaned up. Has anyone pulled the fuel pump assembly to replace the fuel filter? Reuse the gasket or order a new one? I have to get the shot out one i drain the tank out.

#4 ·
If the tank looks like that, so will the rest of the fuel system.
Do not short cut any repairs or you will be sorry.

1. Remove tank and clean.
2. Remove fuel pump and replace filter. Clean out pump. Check flow and pressure.
3. Remove all fuel lines and clean/inspect and replace as necessary.
4. Clean/inspect fuel pressure regulator...replace if suspect.
5. Remove and clean throttle body.
6. Remove and clean injectors.

If fuel system is not hospital clean, be prepared to push bike home.

How many miles on it?

#5 ·
44K , just bought a full throttle body, injectors and sensors assmbley off a running dismantled bike . Just in case.
I am waiting a Kawasaki factor shop manual i purchased yesterday before tearing it down further.
Thanks sfair for the reply. I have seen you know your stuff when it comes to the Vulcan.

#6 ·
I started cleaning the tank yesterday, Apple cider vinegar, in the tank sealed overnight, cleaned up nicely. Washed with soap and water and now cleaning with sea foam to get anything further. I have cleaned the pump with sea foam as well. Installed the new battery and plugs today as well. I am looking for the fuel filter, as its not in the tank as i had seen. If anyone has a part number for me to order it, please pass it on. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
Well this started back in November, and it just getting better. We have ridden several thousand miles and now getting ready to go to Sturgis. I have her torn down to add battery tender, USB chargers, cell phone and GoPro mounts.
Off to paint she goes, making the new back truck match the bags , tank and fenders. Pics again when finished.
Not bad for a 1500.00 project bike with lots of chrome, vance and hines pipes and tuner.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.