Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share with yall, it can be done. Low maintenance engine and can handle the miles. I have never adjusted anything in the engine. No valve adjustments, rocker adjustments. Nothing. Just change the oil and spark plugs. No special oil. I run Shell super gasoline only, and after about 110,000 miles I have to add 3 oz of Techron to every tank of gas. Been through 3 stators, 1 regulator, 1 clutch, 1 belt and numerous tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Holy sheesh! Congrats man. That is a huge accomplishment. Where do you live to be able to ride that much?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Couldn't do it without my gel pad. I live in Houston area. My bike has only been out of Texas once, and that was to Louisiana. I use it on alot of Patriot Guard missions. I do alot of drives to Dallas and back in a day. I try to make all benefit rides.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 45,000 on my '08 900LT and thought I was a road warrior. Guess not! So far only tires and stator. Had the front SW pulley but traded it for the rear pulley which I have yet to install.

Went crazy and bought used '88 goldwing. Just had to have it. But with gas going $4 soon the 45mpg of Vulcan is real nice.

Motor on!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
What causes the stator to go bad? Is it normal wear and tear or too many add ons? And when they go, is there any warning or are you left high and dry?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am extremely jealous of your achievement ... congratulations, that sure is a milestone.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thanks. Couldn't do it without my gel pad. I live in Houston area. My bike has only been out of Texas once, and that was to Louisiana. I use it on alot of Patriot Guard missions. I do alot of drives to Dallas and back in a day. I try to make all benefit rides.
bt, a buck fifty, 3yrs.. mos never been out of Texas?.. thats one hell of a commute.. but then agin ever thing is biggr in Texas..:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What causes the stator to go bad? Is it normal wear and tear or too many add ons? And when they go, is there any warning or are you left high and dry?
I think putting too heavy a load on it can cause it to fail. That is, too heavy a load for too long.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do you plan do a Valve Adjustment just for poops and guffaws?

·
Registered
70 Posts
congrats on the miles I have 22k kms on my 06 classic it will take me to the year of 2028 to cover that amount of ground living in canada and workin all the time,you dont have the chance to enjoy your ride but I still take pride in owning it and enjoy reading the posts in this forum.I did just order a pair of Airlites! so I hope I will enjoy a longer riding season!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I currently have 52,000 on my '06 and have had the valves checked at 31,000 and a new stator at 26,000. My stator did't give me any warning when it went.I went to the grocery store and it seemed to start a bit funny,but payd it no mind.About 3 miles from the house the bike died with a pizza and a case a beer strapped to the back seat!I should mention that 3 days prior I did get rear ended pretty good by a friend who was riding behind me in a rain storm,so that may have played a part in it as going to the store was the first time I had it out after the accident.No whirrling noise some have experienced and no problems since(ended up buying a new regulator and battery too trying to diagnose the problem myself) and now have the kuryakyn voltage meter installed to prewarn me of any charging issues

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if only that dam global warming would kick in a little faster, you guys in the artic circle.. north of st louie.. could get mor riding time in and play a little catch up.. its not all about work ya know.. the more moola you makes the more mr.O takes!

dang, thats right, mr.hopeychangey renamed it climate change.. yor -. go bak to work.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Great job! Showed a buddy that wants the HD image. This got him thinkin' a bit. Keep it up. Also a guy that just bought a sporty before the new year for $10k. Made him wonder a bit to jump ship.
now theres a bike that will never see 100 let alone a buck fifty.. 10 large for a sportsturd.. wat folks are willing to pony up for an image..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's the 2008 Vulcan 900 LT. I have added nothing but the gel pad and a cup holder to the bike, knowing I would kinda "use it up" so fast. I drive 45 mi to the office, then I drive all around the Houston area all afternoon with appointments. In my case, I think I wear out the stators vs them failing due to other reasons. I might add, I wore a groove in the steering bearing at about 45,000 miles and was advised to replace it due to possibility of the steering locking up. I have not replaced it, compensate for it, and only have a sticking problem on very cold dry days. It's usually hot and humid here, so no problem. And thanks to all the nice words. It wasn't me at all, it was the bike. I think I will try the Voyager 1700 next bike and see if it will last as long too.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Nice job Toe. I think most of us who read this are happy to hear your report. Validates our choice of motorcycle brands.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts