Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy - I have to get some new tires soon and after reading many of the posts here and there, I still have a few questions.

This one is about front tire size for my Vulcan 1600 classic. From what I read the 130-90 and the MT90 are just different ways of specifying the same thing. Metric vs Alpha numbering and one shouldn't be significantly different from the other.
However I find some manufacturers list both but with different prices implying there is something different. For example Michelin lists both sizes in their Commander line with an $8 difference in MSRP. I also think I found both in the Avon AM41 Venom line, although one site shows their MT90 offering listed as a Radial.

Is there any difference even when a manuf lists both designations?
Any preference as to brand for the front? I live in SE Arizona and there are a lot of straight roads with few curves. I can go 75 miles before getting into any twisties (but google up Catalina Hwy in Tucson). I want high mileage like everyone else.

Any known problems mixing brands between front & rear?

thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I haven't had any problems mixing brands, although I'm getting ready to match the front to the rear. I run the Avon Storm 190/50/17 on the rear of my MS with the stock Dunlop 130/90/17 up front. No problems other than the Dunlop is wore out now:D I'll be getting a matching Avon Storm up front by spring. So far the Avon has been a great tire for me, I've got about 2500 on it and you can't really tell. It rides great, incredibly stable in the twisties as well:D If they prove to be a reasonably high mileage tire I'll stick with them, if not I'll probably check into Metzlers, I've heard very good things about their longevity. I haven't had to deal with the different size designations so I'm not much help there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I noticed on the Michelins is that the weight rating for the 130/90 is 73 while the MT90 is rated as 71. Don't know if this holds true across brands.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know these haven't been mentioned, but you might want to check out the Pirelli MT66-ROUTE tires. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but a lot better ride than the stock Dunlops on my 900LT. I'm hoping for some good mileage out of these. Stock rear was down to slightly less than 2mm after 5400 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts