Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I use the factory 12v outlet in the fairing on my Voyager, whatever I have plugged in will work itself out just far enough to loose contact. I have tried three different plugs and got the same results with all of them. It doesn't appear that there is a risk of them falling out as they fit in there fairly tight, but the center point moves back just far enough that I have to reach down every so often and push the plug back in to keep the item that I am using charging. Its kind of a pain to keep doing that every 15 or so miles.

Any ideas to keep it plugged in short of wiring in a new plug? It would have been nice if Kawi used a locking type outlet like I have seen in other similar applications.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've used a strip of the soft side of a velcro strip around the interior rim of the socket. Stops vibration, movement but slides easy. Wipe the metal with alcohol so the adhesive stocks good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have this exact same problem with my 2014 Concours. Constantly reaching forward to push in the adapter for my GPS when it goes out on the highway. Very annoying. If I use the tiny 2-plug USB adapter and push it in there, it stays but the adapters, like the ones for a GPS do not. Have not found a fix for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have had the same issue. I wired another outlet into the power wiring in the left side storage door in the fairing. I had a usb adapter for my Bluetooth receiver inserted in and it vibrated out. I just used electrical tape to keep it held in. I've not used the other one very much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, happened to me all the time. I got so sick of it, that I ended up installing a tiny buck transformer with USB ports out of it to connect my GPS. I got it off Amazon, and can post it, as well as directions if you want. It was easy to install, I just connected it to the existing wiring behind the glove box.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes...please post what you got etc. Have same problem on my 2016 Voyager of GPS plug backing out of stock socket. Thanks!
I don't use the stock socket at all any more. I've put a dual USB plus a single USB outlet in the trunk, and had another single USB in the front left cubby until I realized I didn't use it much any more since there's not much room in there - took it out.

My dual outlet is like this one on Ebay, though I picked mine up on Ali Express. It's not top quality, and despite what the listing says only one port is 2.1 amps, the other is 1.0. The other issue I have is that the plugs are very tight, but at least I know they won't dislodge. My advice would be to get one that's not quite so cheap.

Here's a picture of the single outlet in the trunk. The dual is on the other side in the same place.

My GPS is a Garmin, which needs a proprietary power lead from a cigarette style socket, or it won't work properly. So I just wired one of those inside the fairing with the power lead permanently plugged into it (taped and zip-tied tightly), and push the lead inside through an opening under the radio when it's not being used.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't use the stock socket at all any more. I've put a dual USB plus a single USB outlet in the trunk, and had another single USB in the front left cubby until I realized I didn't use it much any more since there's not much room in there - took it out.

My dual outlet is like this one on Ebay, though I picked mine up on Ali Express. It's not top quality, and despite what the listing says only one port is 2.1 amps, the other is 1.0. The other issue I have is that the plugs are very tight, but at least I know they won't dislodge. My advice would be to get one that's not quite so cheap.

Here's a picture of the single outlet in the trunk. The dual is on the other side in the same place.

My GPS is a Garmin, which needs a proprietary power lead from a cigarette style socket, or it won't work properly. So I just wired one of those inside the fairing with the power lead permanently plugged into it (taped and zip-tied tightly), and push the lead inside through an opening under the radio when it's not being used.

My GPS is also a Garmin, and finding a cable that just charges it was a pain. I found this a few months ago, and it works great on my unit. I have it connected to the buck transformer and wrapped the connection with electrical tape. The cable may work with you unit as well (hopefully lol).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NE5H69Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
674 Posts
My GPS is also a Garmin, and finding a cable that just charges it was a pain. I found this a few months ago, and it works great on my unit. I have it connected to the buck transformer and wrapped the connection with electrical tape. The cable may work with you unit as well (hopefully lol).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NE5H69Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've tried one of those. It won't let the "lifetime traffic" alerts update, so I get irritating warnings about that feature being disabled every time I start the bike. I also tried another hard-wired lead from Garmin - got the same warnings, so went back to the original cig-socket lead with another cig-socket inside the fairing. No more issues, and the traffic alerts work as they should.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine did the same and it turned out one of the fairing bolts, between the fairing and lower covers, was missing. Once replaced, my usb never moved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts