711 Posts
This could have been done in hour tops.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dang!

It's a good thing we don't have one of those "overpriced" Harleys!:rolleyes:
That's just stoopid,
BUT....I guess the shop has their reasons!
4.5 hours??!!! I wonder what this "shop" charges for the 15K service (valves)???

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Labor rate was 89.00 hr. A friend at work had the 15k service on his Kawi Nomad about $800 . The work was done at the same Kawi dealership. I also agree that the parts shown should only be about an hours labor for some that knows what they are doing. Boy can get expensive owning a 2 wheeler huh, but totally worth it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Labor rate was 89.00 hr. A friend at work had the 15k service on his Kawi Nomad about $800 . The work was done at the same Kawi dealership. I also agree that the parts shown should only be about an hours labor for some that knows what they are doing. Boy can get expensive owning a 2 wheeler huh, but totally worth it.
I will buy the bike from the dealer,but as far as service goes,i like to do my own service work and maintence, and save on the labor.i do like to support my kawi dealer though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now that I think about it. Is there anything else they checked on the bike like belt tension, greased fittings. Anything like that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Now that I think about it. Is there anything else they checked on the bike like belt tension, greased fittings. Anything like that?
If you look at the service manual, the number of checks required for the 12K service is quite exhaustive - as they are for every 4K service. They put the valve clearance inspection at 15K to lighten the sticker shock, I suppose. Funny thing though...the Euro spec bikes only require this check every 26,000 miles :confused:
I suppose I could justify the expense, at $80+ dollars an hour - MORE than HD wrenches charge in my area BTW..., IF and only if they did every prescribed check, by the book.
Maybe they did. Maybe not.
Maybe they changed the oil and plugs, spent 20-minutes looking at the bike, took her for a test spin and socked it to the customer. Only they know for sure.

Another shining example of why a $75 investment in a service manual, and a few more dollars for some tools will pay for themselves in keeping your bike in top running order. YOU will much more likely look at every nut and bolt, measure every tolerance, inspect every piece of your bike much more carefully than "Joey Bagodoughnuts" who is making 20 bucks an hour to swing wrenches at a Kawi dealership...Sometimes. Or....you could screw something up...:eek:
Joey might be a dang good wrench.
Joey might just know what he's doing.

It's just not how I roll.
I've done my all my own maintenance so far, 'cept tire mounting - and THEN I bring them the rim.

This hobby is expensive enough already, without having to pay $400+ for an oil/spark plug change. JMHO of course...:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
As I'm just coming up very soon on 12k myself, I'm glad to see this thread.

So... am I reading this right? In my manual it looks like the scheduled service we're talking about at 12k is actually 12km? It says the Odometer Reading (in parenthesis) is (miles x 1000). I don't see a 12,000 mile check, it goes (7.5) & (11.25) & (15) for miles.

And since the 12k corresponds to 7.5 miles, the really big inspection should be at 24 km (15,000 miles) which is the one with the Valve clearance Check and everything. So I didn't actually do anything at all at 7500 miles. I changed the oil at 3000, 6000, 9000, and just planned to do the same at 12000. The place I like to go for my work tends to look over everything anyway, and they looked things over when I changed my tires at 8k.

Or was the original poster actually talking about km? Still, it does seem like a lot for that service call. I was expecting/hoping the whole bill including the Valve Check would still be be less than that... yikes!:eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
going by my owners manual there is a service at 18k (12000 mi) I actually had a 12000 mi check. The service plan that I bought pays for all this periodic maint. so I may as well do it. I have a friend who has a bike lift so me thinks I will be doing as much as I can myself after seeing what it could cost me .Sorry about the mileage mix up, and thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did my 12,000 mile oil & filter change last night. Was nice to see that the old oil, though dark, wasn't all black and gummy looking. Still had that clear amberish hue to it, sort of like buckwheat honey or something. I also installed a new headlight bulb, a PIAA XTreme White Plus Anti-Vibration bulb. It's so dark out here for the first few miles of my early morning commute as it's a wooded area, with deer, and no overhead street lighting for the first few miles until I get closer in towards town. They say this one's about 2x the light for the same 55W wattage. We'll see how this goes...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ouch. I'd want a bunch of explanation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Geez.... Let's see 75 bucks for a service manual? 99 bucks at harbor freight for a bike lift? I already have compressor, air tools sockets and everything in between for auto maintenance, so I am set up......

I'll do it myself thanks....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts