Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a set of 12 inch apes at a good price and was wondering if I can use them with all my stock cables and electrical wires?

I have no problem rerouting cables.

Also on a side note is there any way to get a handgrip off that was glued on with grip glue?

If not i guess i'll need to get new grips...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i think the easiest way to get the grip off is to cut it. you can always try to heat it maybe? but im sure somebody else can give you a good answer.

and i think for 12 inch apes plus the stock risers, youll need to reroute the cables. i think the biggest you can go is 9 inch apes with the stock risers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 8 inch minis, on top of 3 inch spacers, and stock risers. a little over 11 inches total. No rerouting. A little tightness when the bars are turned all the way to the right. No issues while riding though.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm going to buy my buddies bars and give it a go... I think getting that iso grip off the left side is going to be a pain tho...

Sent from my HTC Evo4g.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can say now that 12 inch apes fit with some rerouting of the stock cables.

I am extremely happy with the look and feel of them so far.
The only issue I have is the clutch cable is a bit tight if I move the bars to the extreme right.
I am going to order an extended clutch cable soon.

I'll start a new thread with some pictures.
Cause we all know threads are worthless without pictures.

Sent from my HTC Evo4g.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I can say now that 12 inch apes fit with some rerouting of the stock cables. I am extremely happy with the look and feel of them so far. The only issue I have is the clutch cable is a bit tight if I move the bars to the extreme right. am going to order an extended clutch cable soon. I'll start a new thread with some pictures. Cause we all know threads are worthless without pictures.
rt, did you re-route your clutch and throttle cable BEHIND the top triple tree?
that should eliminate any titeness and save you having to buy another cable.
12 monkey bars on a v2k w/stok cables n wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I rerouted the cables and the clutch is a tad tight but only when you turn the bars to the extreme right.

Love the look of those on your skoot!

Sent from my HTC Evo4g.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Also on a side note is there any way to get a handgrip off that was glued on with grip glue?
maybe 2 late,, butt I stik a long skinny screw driver in under the top of the grip, then squirt some wd40 and work it loose. Grips come rite off. Use the same wd40 to reattach, the solvent drys and leaves it like grip glu.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For safety reasons, I would get a longer cable or find a way to make sure the cables are not tight. I've seen a few cables fray or break due to bad, uneven tension. Even if the cables are new.

Ride safe.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
For safety reasons, I would get a longer cable or find a way to make sure the cables are not tight. I've seen a few cables fray or break due to bad, uneven tension. Even if the cables are new. Ride safe.
often the stok cable stays that secure it to the bike frame can cause the cable to be tite when handybars are turned full extent. You may consider unattaching the stok cable stays and checking the cable for tite/looseness, then reattaching new cable stays-(nylon wire ties) to secure the cable but allow it to NOT BIND.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put 10" ers on my 900. Used the stock cables and works just great. Had to adjust the cable some, but works just fine. They feel great and work like a champ.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went with 16" on my 800. I wish I would have gone with 18's.... I did have to buy new cables for about $110 from motion pro. As far as the stock grips, you should have no problem taking them off (thin screwdriver between the grip and bar to break the seal and off they came).

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts