Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking at putting some 12" apes on my 2010 vn900 custom. However I cant seem to get a clear answer on if the cables will fit or if not which ones will. I have looked around and have seen a couple of people who say the stock cables will fit with some rerouting and one that said you need a new clutch cable.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone tell me if I need a full cable kit or just need to replace 1 or 2 cables?

Cheers,
Geckom

·
Registered
236 Posts
i personally put 12" ape on 2" risers and i had to change the clutch cable because it was too short even after rerouting

i bought a universal cable on ebay and it's 66" long, i'm still waiting for it to come in the mail
the throttle/idle cables are fine but i wouldn't any higher without cahnging them, and the brake hose is fine too, all have been rerouted

electrical are plenty long

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 12" apes with 1 1/4" risers using all stock cables. I had to pull the bars back and position the clutch cable handle on the bar just right so it wouldn't be too tight....it works but barely. I have a plus 4 clutch cable on order; should be here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 12" inch apes, with all stock cables. Rerouted the clutch behind the triple tree and it is fine. I have a set of Narrow Glide apes from JP cycle. Im thinking if you got a wider set of apes you may run into tightness with the clutch cable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm confused as well. SANDMAN told me he installed '+12 inch' cables when he installed his 12" bars. J&P Cycles has Baron kits listed, and the smallest kit is 12-14", and the biggest is 18-20".

How are these numbers generated? Why do people say '+2 inch' all the time? Shouldn't the extra length take into account the extra height? (ie, 12 inch bar = 12 inch added onto the cable length, hence "+12 inch"?)

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see SANDMAN had a lot of extra slack on his cables. In other threads they are saying 12" apes you can go with +4-6 cables? Can't say for sure myself, but that's what they said here:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=200099&postcount=8

·
Registered
126 Posts
all the confusion is eliminated?

I'm confused as well. SANDMAN told me he installed '+12 inch' cables when he installed his 12" bars. J&P Cycles has Baron kits listed, and the smallest kit is 12-14", and the biggest is 18-20".

How are these numbers generated? Why do people say '+2 inch' all the time? Shouldn't the extra length take into account the extra height? (ie, 12 inch bar = 12 inch added onto the cable length, hence "+12 inch"?)
I have a 2009 900LT. I have 12" "mini" apes without a riser. They are not 12" higher than stock. You have to take into account that the stock "beach" bars pull back something like 14" and have a several inches of rise as well. I rerouted clutch, wiring, brake hose and turned down the 2 throttle cables. This barely works. The clutch cable is wearing away against the edge of the triple tree... the brake hose is just flopping around. So, finally I broke down and ordered Barons BA-8074KT-12, which is said to fit 12" bars and eliminates confusion. Didn't work for me! Please tell us how much longer than stock they are. They say they fit a 12" bar? would that be a 12" ape... of so, why not say it that way! Bar measurements are not just simply 12"... that might be the rise, but there is also pull-back. I hope that these cables are about 4" longer than stock. Baron sells individual cables that are stated to be +4", +6", +8", etc. in length, but for several kits they state a bar rise. I should get them Tuesday... getting them from Dennis Kirk, by the way. I have never been disappointed with DK.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2009 900LT. I have 12" "mini" apes without a riser. They are not 12" higher than stock. You have to take into account that the stock "beach" bars pull back something like 14" and have a several inches of rise as well. I rerouted clutch, wiring, brake hose and turned down the 2 throttle cables. This barely works. The clutch cable is wearing away against the edge of the triple tree... the brake hose is just flopping around. So, finally I broke down and ordered Barons BA-8074KT-12, which is said to fit 12" bars and eliminates confusion. Didn't work for me! Please tell us how much longer than stock they are. They say they fit a 12" bar? would that be a 12" ape... of so, why not say it that way! Bar measurements are not just simply 12"... that might be the rise, but there is also pull-back. I hope that these cables are about 4" longer than stock. Baron sells individual cables that are stated to be +4", +6", +8", etc. in length, but for several kits they state a bar rise. I should get them Tuesday... getting them from Dennis Kirk, by the way. I have never been disappointed with DK.

Geeze, let me know what you find out. I'm looking at adding 12" apes to my bike sometime in the next few weeks. If you find a set that works well post it up, please! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
on the JP site when they talk about 12-14, or 18-20, they that they are for ape of those size, if you say a +6 or +8, that means, this much longer than the original cable

considering that stock handle bar are about 6 to 8" high, if you put 12" ape on the normal risers, it means that you are going about 4 to 6" higher than stock

so you can use a +6 cable or a 12-14 from JP which works out to be the same cable in the end

i hope it helped

·
Registered
182 Posts
i personally put 12" ape on 2" risers and i had to change the clutch cable because it was too short even after rerouting

i bought a universal cable on ebay and it's 66" long, i'm still waiting for it to come in the mail
the throttle/idle cables are fine but i wouldn't any higher without cahnging them, and the brake hose is fine too, all have been rerouted

electrical are plenty long
Hey Trempus, How is that cable working for you?

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
aleco, the cable works great but i had to cut about 4" off the inner cable, i reused some of the fitting from the original cable and finally i had to solder on the end fittings
I had the clutch cable made, it is 2" longer tha stock, same lenght for the housing, a week ago the lower fittin broke and left me stranded. I had it made again the same lenght, but i'm afraid it will break again.
I've been looking for a clutch cable on line, all i see is see thru or gray or chromed, i need a black cable, i also had the brake line made, it looks that it will work for a long time.
I need a website to order a black cable for my 14" apes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i did about 300km so far with that new cable and didn't have any problems, i think you need a longer housing if you with a longer inner cable

mine is about 7-8" longer than stock

i removed my stock and measured how much longer the inner was, and when i made mine, i measured out the same amount sticking out of the housing (about 3") and then soldered the fitting

·
Registered
37 Posts
I rode mine for quite awhile with the stock clutch cable but ended up putting in a +4 cable....gives it more free play so it is not so tight when turning the wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also run a 12" ape with stock cables. Re-routed them and they are fine.
Godrex08 if you don't mind me asking what bars are those? I have been wanting to try the Yaffe Monkey bars but hate to spend that kind off $$$ on them an then them not work. The bars you have are pretty close to that style. Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
i starting to feel that my 12 are still too short, i think i might go for 16 or 17
and since i have a fairing on, i'll probably get bagger bars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts