Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have read into this forum that 20W50 is too thick at cold start and 10W40 too thin for hot summers.
Is the 10W50 a better solution ? so that we can satisfy both of the above "issues"
Does anybody use this oil grade ? From theoretical point of view seems the best option.
Bike is 1700 Vaquero.

Thanks
Marcel

·
Registered
699 Posts
The number before the "W" is for "winter" cold temps, and the oil has to be thinner to flow for the cold temps and start ups.
The second number is the weight for higher temps both engine and ambient temps.
So you will see in the manual to use 10w-30 and then if you're in hot temps use 10w-40.
If you're in the south and its always hot 20w-50 would most likely be fine, but check your manual.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Romania, and drive mostly in the summer at around 15 - 34 degrees Celsius (59 - 95 F)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I use 10W-40 for winter and 20W-50 for summer. I ride in temps down into the teens (°F) in the winter and into the 100s in the summer and most years put on enough miles that I need 2 oil changes, minimum, anyway. For 50s to 90s, either 10W-40 or 20W-50 would be fine, but I think I would use 10W-40 if most of your riding will be below 90°.

I don't know if you can get it there, but I really like Royal Purple Max Cycle oil. It comes in both weights and is fully synthetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts