Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a package in the mail today. :D

Just for comparison on how ridiculously big this package is:*

Took the fairing off first, here is the picture of the stock bars.

Bike without the bars.

10" Apes mounted.

Here is a side by side comparison of the bars.

I had to get really creative with the clutch cable. *Everything else fit without a problem. *I don't like how tight the clutch cable is, and the angle that it has to turn, so I will probably get a 2" over cable for the clutch.

Sorry it's so hard to see. *It was dark by the time I got it routed. *I had to take the left side equipment off the bars and re-install like 15 times.*

The second part of this project is to find a place to mount the amp for the 1000 watt system. *I tried to find someplace to hide the amp, not gonna happen. *There is surprisingly little open space on this big ass bike. *What I decided to do was make an inner fairing for the batwing. *There are 4 bolts that hold the mounts to it:

I bought a piece of metal and am working on getting it shaped.

Ryan helped me tonight with the inner fairing. *We got a lot of shaping done, but I forgot to take pictures. *I will get some up again tomorrow. *We ran out of cutting discs, so we really couldn't continue anyways. *It's coming along nicely. *I can't wait to get it finished.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I'm surprised the brake cables are not tight also. I guess not having to route thru the nacelle (like I had to) makes extra room...

How big is the amp? And once installed, will you need access to it again?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised the brake cables are not tight also. I guess not having to route thru the nacelle (like I had to) makes extra room...

How big is the amp? And once installed, will you need access to it again?
it's like 4x6". It's surprisingly big. And the tool box is really small. I don't really need to access it after the install, but I have decided to install it facing forward so I can change the input or install an SD card, etc. I will post pictures of the mount here soon, when I get back to work on it tonight. Hopefully, I can get it completed tonight. I will have to wait to wire the system for another day, because I have to work too early tomorrow to tear the tank and seat and etc off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
H, Tried a set of 10" apes pretty much like yours I borrowed from another rider here in town. Didn't have any trouble with cables or brake lines but left side wiring was a couple of inches too short. I've got fairly short arms and couldn't get them to feel comfortable so I pulled them back off and put a set of AAOK pull-backs on. 10" rise but bars pull back to rider so I sit pretty well straight up. Clutch and throttle cables are ok but brake line is just a bit tight and left side wiring still a little short. You won't believe the difference getting away from the stock bars makes for comfort and handling.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Good luck and be safe, BOB

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
H, Tried a set of 10" apes pretty much like yours I borrowed from another rider here in town. Didn't have any trouble with cables or brake lines but left side wiring was a couple of inches too short. I've got fairly short arms and couldn't get them to feel comfortable so I pulled them back off and put a set of AAOK pull-backs on. 10" rise but bars pull back to rider so I sit pretty well straight up. Clutch and throttle cables are ok but brake line is just a bit tight and left side wiring still a little short. You won't believe the difference getting away from the stock bars makes for comfort and handling.

View attachment 103201

View attachment 103209

View attachment 103217

Good luck and be safe, BOB
Wow!!! Those really pull back. Here is what I'm running in that 10" range, factory wide glide bars, almost no pull back

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the poor picture quality on a couple of these, it's night and dark when I can actually work on the bike.

I finished getting the mount to fit.

I was pleased with the way that it fit. It was snug, and cleaned up the inside of the fairing. It was solid. I did noticed the GPS vibrated too much on the arm, so I relocated that back to the bars, no biggie. Now came the fun part, trying to mount the speakers for the 1000 watt Shark Audio system. Begin the heartache!

Here is the only place I can mount the speakers.

I hate it. It's aweful and cluttered and crappy looking. Not my style. This lead me to a realizations. I need a full fairing. Not an after though speaker system. I decided to scrap the 1000 watt system, which I will be returning to Shark. There are some eBay fairings that are low in cost, and look really good when installed. In the end, I will be significantly happier with it. I was sacrificing my desire to save a few bucks, not worth it.

I got to put about 60 miles on the bike after the bars and they are really comfortable. My back doesn't hurt anymore between my shoulder blades. I did notice that I have to pull the bars back a little bit though, because I was reaching too far forward. About 1/2" to 1" back will be plenty. It'll take me about 5 minutes to fix, but it's like 25 degrees outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts