Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the my "new" Vulcan 900 Classic inspected and licensed and haven't driven my car since.

I had to leave it at the shop since I forgot the title for the inspection, Came back the next day with the Title and the salesman said he almost sold my bike until the mechanic explained to him it wasn't for sale. When I came back a couple of days later to pick it up, after getting the tag, I was told 4 more individuals were interested in buying it. And this is from a place that had over 30 used bikes for sale, everything from crotch rockets to full size Harleys. They had several that were in the same price range as what they would have sold mine for, (which was $1300 more than I paid), so I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase.

I'm a commercially rated pilot. I got into flying because it was something I alway wanted to do and would prefer to fly everyday rather than do just about anything else. Some people say it is the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom, other's argue that it is better than anything, including what happens in the bedroom. However, if I just want to jump in a plane and go fly around for fun, I'm looking at $130/hr. With this in mind, I now have a cheaper alternative. I don't think it will replace flying around, but riding to the airport, flying around for a few hours, (this time someone else was paying for it), then getting to ride my Vulcan back home, not sure the day could get any better.

So after a week of riding, what I have learned -
50 deg morning temps means my next purchase will be winter riding gloves.
Loose pant legs means the wind can blow them up to the knees, which makes an early morning ride to work that much colder.
Low beam headlight is worthless
Just as others have reported, my speedometer reads 5mph too slow (according to my gps)

I've read a little about the Barron pulley. Has anyone just replaced the front and can report on the results - accuracy of speedometer, ride difference, how much if affect the mpg. I've read a few reports, but they are after replacing the front and back but none appear to report after just replacing the front.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You'll absolutely love the 900! Many times I miss mine. As an alternative to the pulley you can also correct the speedo through the use of a speedohealer or speedo drd (which I believe is plug and play unlike the speedohealer for the 900). My 900 speedo read about 8% HIGHER than my GPS indicated. I didn't use either when I had my 900 but installed it on my Nomad which was about 6% high. Neither was enough to really worry about, but I finally got tired of it and installed the DRD in my Nomad. Now my speedo is spot-on, but my odo reads low. Install only takes about 5 mins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gotten used to the speedometer being off. I'm more interested in lowering the RPMs in order to reduce vibration at the higher speeds. Anything above 55 or 60 and its enough that I have issues with reading road signs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You know the speed thing has always confused me. What I mean is every vehicle I have owned has always said I was going faster then what I was really going. Was told long ago that it does that so your not speeding. Mine is normally just a couple miles an hour. Again. Not sure how true it is but that the case with me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You know the speed thing has always confused me. What I mean is every vehicle I have owned has always said I was going faster then what I was really going. Was told long ago that it does that so your not speeding. Mine is normally just a couple miles an hour. Again. Not sure how true it is but that the case with me.
so you will think you are getting better mileage and run out of warranty sooner, mostly on cars and trucks. GM vehicles were the worst in the mid to late 90s.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Congrats on the new to you bike "dino87"

If you do some searches there are a few who have done the front pulley.
For me I went with a little larger rear tire, a 170/80/15 vs 180/70/15. I gained about 4%.
I have to admit a little taller gear(s) would be nice,but frankly I have gotten used to it.
These vn900 really like to rev for a v-twin:)
Have fun and be safe

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've gotten used to the speedometer being off. I'm more interested in lowering the RPMs in order to reduce vibration at the higher speeds. Anything above 55 or 60 and its enough that I have issues with reading road signs.
Interesting that I also have a 2007 Vulcan 900 but have essentially no vibration issues above 55 mph, and have occasionally done 80 mph while passing in our limited speed zones with no vibration. There are firing impulses which are normal for the V-twin engine but they aren't annoying at those or other speeds.

I've become accustomed to the speedo being about 5 mph fast at an indicated 60 mph. There is a rather easy fix which involves inserting a resistor into the speedo electrical circuit, but I don't recall where online I have seen that.

Good luck, and happy riding!

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a sticky thread about a resistor fuel gauge fix but not the speedo.

A taller back tire seems to be the most favored answer to the speedo / highway rpm complaint. I am going to do it, w. Michelin Commanders, when my tires wear out. First gear is surely short and narrow enough to not be a problem with a little longer ratio overall.

I tend to ride indicating 5 over, assuming I am safely at the speed limit, law enforcement wise.

I have an '05 Sentra that lies like a rug about speed, mileage, mpg. Tryin to make itself look good. Thinks I can't do the math when I fill up. And actually I can't because I don't know the actual number of miles I've traveled on x gallons of gas.

To me, it's a little act of bad faith on the part of most mfgrs. to do this. They can set the system up to be accurate, but they think the vehicle looks better with inflated speed and mileage. No, actually, the mfgr. looks worse. Not the end of the world, but why do it? IDK.

·
Registered
643 Posts
+1 on the taller 170/80 tire. Michelin Commander 2 actual width 177mm and is $30 less than the 180/70 tire, got speedo within 1-2 mph

·
Registered
308 Posts
@dino87
If you rev the engine while in Neutral about the same RPMs as going 50, does it vibrate in the same manner?

If you experience such strong vibrations at such a low speed, I would suggest checking the tires and their balancing. Uneven tire wear and poor tire balancing can render a motorcycle 'useless'.

*Some people use beads inside the tires for balancing it for the life of the tire. I'm curios if they can fit thru the valve stem..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tire inflation is also critical. The V900 Classic specs 29 or 30 lbs. Pressure affects the size and adhesion of the contact patch, and how it behaves under braking, side loads, lines in the road surface and so forth.

I once went weeks without checking tire pressure and found the bike to be handling and feeling sluggish and not right. I checked and found 20psi in the front and 25 in the back. Holy shite. Filled them back to 30psi and it was a whole new bike.

Yes to durox, tire beads pour in through the valve stem with the valve core removed. There is also an orange gel tire balancer that goes in the same way. Then you ride for 20 or 30 minutes. It moves itself until the wheel is balanced, then stiffens up to a gummy adhesive goo that will self-seal minor punctures. It is viscous, but it shifts around to compensate as the tires wear and change wheel balance.

Beads fall to the bottom when the tire isn't rolling, then distribute themselves each time the wheel starts spinning. To me, not as good as a gel which goes to the right place and stays there.

Info on this balancing gel:

Motorcycle Tire Balancer | Ride-On - Ride-On

1 - 12 of 12 Posts