Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 of us are going to be traveling to Colorado in June. We plan to camp in state park or national forest locations on 3 of the nights. Yes I know it will likely be pretty chilly and we are prepared for that. What I can't figure out is how they expect us to park.

In one of the parks there is a 1 vehicle limit. In another park there is a 2 vehicle limit. We will be on 3 bikes. I don't want to get thrown out of a park and have no back up plan. Many of these sites are closed for the winter and I'm not even sure how to speak to a person by phone this time of year.

Have any of you experienced this in the past? What was your solution?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pretty sure if you can keep them all in the designated parking spot, you will be ok. You may also want to check with the local KOA if you don't get the answer you are looking for out of the state park system.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know about Colorado parks, but most of the ones around here will just charge you an extra fee per extra vehicle, though, that is based on cars. They may just let you go with bikes. It's sort of at the rangers discretion if they want to enforce the rules... Some parks have overflow parking lots nearby, but I've always just paid the extra fees when possible to keep the bikes within sight.

How are you guys camping? One tent, 3 separate? I'd be more concerned with fitting multiple tents on one site. A lot of parks have rules to state how many tents they allow on a singe site, other parks have designated pads where as long as you can fit the tent/s you're fine. However, the ones I've seen tend to be small enough that fitting 2 medium sized tents is a challenge, but possible.

The trip I have planned this year, I've had to reserve 2 sights per night to cover vehicle and tent number rules. Even so, for 13 nights of camping its still way cheaper per person then booking hotel rooms considering that on the most expensive nights, its $30 per sight per night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts