Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a 2012 Vulcan custom SE. I bought a kit of 2 horns (low and high tones) to replace the very flimsy oem horn. On highway, I'm pretty sure people can't hear it.. so weak! This is not exactly what I bought but looks very similar: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3800011 (there are 2 of them)

I read about putting a relay. But I don't know... maybe I already have one (oem on the bike?)?

My questions are:

1) Is it necessary to install a relay? If yes, what do I look for?
2) If I plug my 2 horns on the wires going to the oem horn... what will happen? (work 100%, be weak because too much power needed, not work at all, drain my battery and kill the engine while driving lol, etc.)

Thanks a lot!!! :) Have a great week end!
Henri

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
My questions are:

1) Is it necessary to install a relay? If yes, what do I look for?
2) If I plug my 2 horns on the wires going to the oem horn... what will happen? (work 100%, be weak because too much power needed, not work at all, drain my battery and kill the engine while driving lol, etc.)

Thanks a lot!!! :) Have a great week end!
Henri
To question 1: It depends on the current draw of the horns. The OEM wiring is fused at 10A. If the horns draw more than 10A single or combined then you will need the relay.
To question 2: The horns will not be weak. It's not like the old tape decks that would get slow and drawn out when the batteries were low. If they draw less than 10A then they will sound like they should. If they draw more than 10A, the fuse will blow and you will get no sound.

That being said, search on here for "air horns". I rememeber there being a good relay diagram on one of the threads.

I'll try and do justice to it from memory:

There are several good 30A rated relays that can be purchased at your local autoparts store. Two of the connections (switched hot and ground) can be used with the OEM hord connections. This part of the relay is low draw and the original wiring should be fine. Another connector will be for a wire direct from the battery. Fuse this line based on guage and draw (14 guage and 20A for example). The last connector will be the wire that will go to the horns. This should have no current on it until the horn button is pressed, engaging the relay.

I put a "Bad Boy air horn" on my 900LT and had to use the relay. That horn draws between 8 & 12 Amps according to my multimeter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Henri,
You will need the relay for a two horn set up. I used a Fiaam freeway buster hi tone alone and used the original plug without a relay. If works fine but anything that has more of a draw can burn out the horn switch. Here is a link of the Bad Boy install explaining the relay wiring. Good luck, post back someone with more experience will surely help.

http://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaStorefrontAssetStore/images/pdf/331036.pdf

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for your answers! I shopped for relay today but found so many different... 2, 3, 4 or 5 pins...? 30A or 40A?

Any suggestion? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If they can not hear 2 horns, use the middle finger, they wont hear that either, but they may see it. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to move this up, I didn't had the time to do this modificatioin yet...

At least, I bought everything I need for it (relay, wiring, etc...).

I found a lot of wiring diagrams for a relay but..... on the bike, there are soooo many wires... The bike is almost new, I don't wanna screw the original wires...

Anyone done this horn installation on his VN900 and have pictures or the installation?

Is the relay installed where the horn is or under the seat where all the wires are?

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts