Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was installing the PHATBOYS Risers and found that the cables are too tight, so I'm attempting to remove the Triple Tree so I can route the cables BEHIND it instead of in front of it....but I don't have a socket that fits the Steering Stem Head Nut - does anyone know what size it is? I attempted to measure it and it's approximately 1 7/16" wide. I don't want to use a wrench (too tight of a space and not enough area on the nut to grab) so I prefer using a socket. I have a 27mm socket for my Suzuki, but it's not even close - this nut is bigger. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Well Top K according to my chart that comes to 37mm socket.
1 7/16 = 1.4375. 37mm = 1.456 :)

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Ok, I tried to measure it myself with my calaper but can't get it in enough to measure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
it's a 36mm....go to sears and buy a 1/2" drive 12 point chrome thin wall socket...I've already installed the risers and also had to reroute the cables...check the AVA forum too on greasing the stem bearings while you have the nut off...I posted instructions and pics in the 1700 section

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
He's right Top K. A friend came over today and we had to take the tank off. So I was able to measure the nut accurately. It's 1.410 which is 36mm.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies...I found out the hard way before I saw these latest posts. But no real problem, when the 35mm was off just a bit, I assumed it must be 36mm, so went back to the tool store and exchanged it. It was a snug fit on the outer edge of the 12 pt socket (the way the nut is recessed into the triple tree), but it worked! And now my cables are behind the Triple Tree and the Risers worked out great! I'm telling you, if you feel cramped on the VV, get the Corbin.....I feel like I'm riding a different bike, I'm so stretched out now. Being 5'9", I'm right on the edge of being too far back, but it's gonna work. Just have to get used to the new position. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts