Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a new left over at my local dealer.my question is how do you guys like the bike? how do they perform on the high way? reliable?ive been searching on here for more info but would like to here from owners.belt noise,any complaints?thanks for any input you can give me

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
This wouid be a perfect bike for light / medium touring, and grest for doodling around Southern Utah. Good for the highway, great for zapping around the mountains, and is a fairly cost effective tourer. There are many threads here regarding high RPM's at high (75 mph) speeds and the remedies for such.

I tour two up, with a trailer with an average trip milage of 5500 mile plus over two weeks. Total weight around 1260 lbs loaded, Zion Nat Park, Grand Canyon , Monument Valley, Denver, Durango, Phoenix ... all from 60 miles outside of Toronto. Yep you get the idea, this bike can do the job. Is it a mega torque monster ... nope, but it is a great mid range tourer that can move you at 65 to 75 mph, all day everday day.

The two main achillies heels seem to be Stators and High RPM's at high speed, bothers some, doesnt bother others.

Just depends on what your expectations are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,they have problems with stators? is this a rare problem or something im going to have to expect? at what mileage are they going out? just joined this forum amd must say its very nice,lots of info thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
There is a search mode here , type in stators and it will give you lots of info. I personally have not had any issues and i have 23000 kms on my bike. Some have had issues (maybe around 20% if i had to guess ) and it is not a cheap ($800) fix. Every bike has it issues and it is really not a concern for me.

As far as the rpm issues, lower rpm,s can be achieved by changing front and rear pulleys or going to a larger rear tire ... I run a 220 / 70 / 15 ... lots on this on the forum as well.

The bike its self is a sound bike .. I have a 2009 classic LT and are just in the process of buying a 2010 custom. I have had many bikes over the years up to 1250 sport tourers, while this bike does not have the HP as some, it does the job. It is not the perfect bike, but it does do most things well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not new too bikes either,i currantly have a 2010 z1000 and love it,plenty of hp there.i want something a little more for longer rides.i realy like the new vaquero but its quite a bitt more money and just a over all bigger bike.i keep going back to the 900 for the size and i realy like the looks of the 09se,just want to make sure its reliable.i can get a new 09 left over for a pretty good deal so thats why ive been searching the forum

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
All i have replaced in 2 years is a turn signal bulb and a brake light bulb. I run full synthetic oil and change it at the recommended intervals, this motor is going to be noisier and the transmission clunky compared to what you are used to ... it ain't as smooth as an inline 4. The stock seat is a killer, most change it over. I like the ride and the size of the bike, it is highway stable and the riding position comfort is great for those high mile days. Kinda like riding a easy chair. I have modified mine cosmetically, but as far as the motor goes, the only thing i have added is a K&N air filter.

There are a ton of aftermarket goodies .... heres some sites

Meancycles.com
cruisercustomising.com
Denniskirk.com
westendmotorsports.com

Heres a pic of mine.....

good luck with your decision, I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
man thats a nice looking set up you have there. well i had a harley so clunky trannys are not new,i guess i need to go ride one and see how it fits me. the z is a fabulos bike and does what its ment to do very well butt all day rides is not one of them, i mean its pretty comfy butt theres no where to carry anything and im not going to putt bags on a sport bike.thanks again for all your input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts