Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
If it was possible someone probably would have figured it out by now. Even if possible it probably wouldn't be cost effective compared to buying a different bike already equipped. Changing pulleys seems to be the only option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My previous bike was an '04 1400 Suzuki Intruder. It came with Shaft drive. Great for maintenance and not worrying about rocks and such... But geared low enough for stump-pulling, Not highway riding. I was stuck until someone (who has a lot more brains, time and $$ than I do), discovered that the 5th gear from a similar model (1500 intruder= full touring bike) would fit directly into the 1400. Basically it was a clean swap to a larger 5th gear (lower numerically) and allowed a better ratio for the highway. Which also increased MPG's.

--Maybe it's possible that the transmissions are the same on the Vulcan line-up. Maybe the 1600 5th gear would fit into the 900 transmission and Voila!! Instant Overdrive!!:) Hopefully someone with access to the specs on different models can figure this out and at least give the rest of us some additional hope towards the perfect bike tansmission!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'd still go with the pulley change. Even if there was something you could do with the tranny, the pulley (or pulleys) would be a whole lot easier and still give you the results you want.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You mean did the manufacturer leave space, and material in a transmission for another set of gears ? Did any manufacturer ever do that?
lol. I believe Harley has, most of my friends do the six speed upgrade on their Harley's. I just read an article in American Iron detailing the exact mod. Some even go to a 7 (seven) speed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts