Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this site but have been watching it for a few days. I went to the dealership not just to look the other day because my heart is pretty well set on the 09' black vn900 classic, what a beaut!!! out the door it will cost 7200 financed. Two questions, is this an ok deal? And is the 900 going to feed my appetite for speed, or am I going to be trying to upgrade in a year or 2. I'm 5 11' 175. This will be my first bike but I have been on many other peoples bikes from dirt bikes to gsx-r's. As well as my dads 07? red 900 vulcan wich his only bitch before he upgraded to a stratoliner, was the rear shock or "seat" problem evryone else has. But hes an old man, i like the look, but will this bike work for me???

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like my 08 classic LT. No real negatives to report, even the seat I like, its still stock. Depends on ur idea of "speed". I can assure the 900 is capable of triple digits, which is decent for any cruiser. I have no problems keeping up with the "big" bikes with my wife on the back.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this site but have been watching it for a few days. I went to the dealership not just to look the other day because my heart is pretty well set on the 09' black vn900 classic, what a beaut!!! out the door it will cost 7200 financed. Two questions, is this an ok deal? And is the 900 going to feed my appetite for speed, or am I going to be trying to upgrade in a year or 2. I'm 5 11' 175. This will be my first bike but I have been on many other peoples bikes from dirt bikes to gsx-r's. As well as my dads 07? red 900 vulcan wich his only bitch before he upgraded to a stratoliner, was the rear shock or "seat" problem evryone else has. But hes an old man, i like the look, but will this bike work for me???

I am 5.10", 180lbs and came off a '08 bandit 1250 SAE sport tourer... to an
'09 classic lt. miss the smoothness of the 1250 in line 4, and the sheer power, having said that i have not looked back.... replaced the seat for comfort, added passenger floorboards to get rid of the pipe heat for the other half, worried about power or torque ... I leave this week ,11,000kms pulling a trailer (which she thinks is to carry her own personal wardrobe), at around 65 + mph. see this link ..

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7867

total added weight ...

Me 180
she 120
trailer 175
gear 100

thats 575 lbs plus the weight of the bike .... issues on test / shake down rides concerning the additional weight .... none. I will be riding from varying heights from sea level to aroung 8000 ft above, temps from 100 f plus to low 50's. Its not a Canyon carver, but it is the nearest thing that i can find to a couch on 2 wheels. It is however ....what ever works for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
doesn't seem like as good of a price as you should be able to get it for. Look around at other dealers. They are hurting right now to make sales so if one wont bite the other will.

I wanted a vulcan classic but they were out, it was going to run me 6400.00OTD for them to get me one. They had a custom left over in stock and they said i could do 6000.00 OTD on it so i purchased it instead. This was two weeks ago. So 1200.00 diff your going to pay.

To answer your question on speed its quick and rails through the corners, but its not sportbike fast. I own a zx6r as well so i get my speed and lean on it. I enjoy the scenary on the vulcan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First, regarding price:

I just bought my new '09 Classic last week from the dealer. With Cobra Dragster exhausts ($400) and Memphis Fats windscreen ($200) already installed, their price was $6300 ($7500 base, minus $1800 discount, plus $600 in mods). It was their last '09 and were making room for the '10s.

I had them add passenger floorboards ($200), backrest ($200), bag supports ($60) and cruise control ($60). So total price before tax was $6820. They didn't charge me any additional fees like delivery either.

Beyond that, I'm adding a Lindby crash bar ($280), Willie and Max saddlebags ($160), and SmartPartz baffles for the Cobras ($70). That makes a grand total of $7310 for a fully dressed Vulcan.

I'm in Kansas where cost of living is more reasonable than other places, so that could have something to do with the price.

As for size, I'm 6'0", 210 and traded in a '96 Virago 750 on my VN900. After that the Vulcan feels plenty big and roomy. I'm a conservative rider so I can't help you with your "need for speed"! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, in regards to the bikes price this said dealership said the lowest the could do on the bike was 6400. Then the sales tax, and you guessed it 90 prep fee, delivery fee, forms fee(what the f ever) guess thats cuz I let them try to finance me, registration tags yadayadayada. Anyways at first it was 7400 otd. I told them to go back to work because thats was tooo many fees, and we came up with 7215. Now they did finda a bank that would take my sub par score andget me on it, but at a rather high interest rate. I'm waiting to see if my credit union can do any better, that and the CU can take chunks right out of my check, wich I wouldn't even notice. I guess if the CU says no to me too, I will see if the only bank that would touch me can do the every 2 weeks paycheck thing too. Anyone have experience with that? Anyways thanks for your input guys, I think I'm going to try to squeeze a little bit more out of that dealer accesories wise or have them come down in their price, that or if the credit union approves me just go somewhere else and try to get a better deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And as for the cost of living thing, I am in maryland, fairly close to DC so everythings all out of tune around here. But purchasing one here could be a better alternative to not, and trying to deal with this states MVA down the road for tax/reg./title fees...... Still putting up with headaches from them from when i moved down here with my 4 wheel vehicle. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
I paid $7100 for my `09 Vulcan 900 Classic LT just two months ago. You should talk them down. It is June 2010. They should be dropping the price on that `09 to clear space for `10's. Be careful of dealer add-ons too.

I guess it also depends on where you live, cost of living, and how their sales volume runs. Since the LT is the hiend 900 model by about $1k, You should talk them down to at least $6200.

Kawasaki's official website lists the `09 Vulcan Classic at $7499. The Classic LT is listed at $8799 and I paid $7100 for it.
You need to haggle big time or go to another Kawasaki dealer, even if they are a good distance away from you. That can work great when they know you live far away because they know if you leave, you aren't coming back, so they will do what they can to get you to buy from them. That's how I got my Jeep for 0% financing. Went 65 miles away to a Jeep dealer and they knew I wouldn't come back. I didn't tell them I went there because they had the only color Jeep I wanted, period, in the entire state of Colorado and Wyoming.

As for the 900, I had half the people telling me that I was getting too big of a motorcycle for my very first bike. The other half said I will grow into it and I needed the 900 to make it in the Rocky Mountains.

If you truly want speed, then get a Crotch rocket. My speed joy comes from riding a road bike going down a mountain at 50mph on a tire only the width of your pinky finger. A tire blowout and I am dead (over the cliff). That is more of an adrenaline rush than a motorcycle can ever give you. I got the Cruiser to enjoy the laidback lifestyle of motorcycling.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks tokyojoe. Was that 7100 OTD,and did you walk in with cash? lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
thanks tokyojoe. Was that 7100 OTD,and did you walk in with cash? lol
No, I called them to see if they had the LT model in the candy red -metallic titanium and they said they ha done still boxed up and had to put it together. I said I would come by after work to look at it.
They had a price posted of $7900 and I told him I would go with $6900 and he agreed to go with that price and some additional fees that are normally added on, which put it at $7100. I had also said I would put $1000 down on it. They delivered it to my place for free three days later after they checked to make sure everything was put together properly and had all the proper fluids in it. I got a finance rate at something like 5.8% for 60 months.

Great company. They do a lot of big motorcycle events in their huge parking lot and do Meet and Greets at local restaurant/bars. If interested in the business, they are called Fay Myers and have a website.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've been woken up hardcore. They are about $1,000 off, wich is a big deal when you are buying a 18 mo. old bike for less than 10k, and crunching numbers like I am. I found one in WV about 65 miles away (on e-bay) for 5600, brand new, sitting on a showroom floor. They are saying that is the cash OTD price, if my CU comes through im going to buy that one (upon inspection etc), if not and I'm stuck at the dealer I started off with, they will either A: come down in price significantly. Or B: Pound sand. I can't get raped on this deal, money is important right now, there may be another sucker out there for them, just not me. The way I see it now is that this bike is a 2009. Yes I love it, and will kil to not ride another year. But it is 18 months old at least already, and I will be severely upside down on my loan the second I sign the papers on a bad deal. Thanks guys. 7200, MAYBE for an 09' LT...... :mad: thinks of the ol' word STEALERSHIP..... 7200 then shitty financing. Ok I'm done venting.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Try living in Canada, a new current LT retails (MSRP) for $11,399 plus, pdi, frt, admin fee etc, etc, While you can get em cheaper than that by shopping around, those that dont ask dont get. No wonder less than 50% of new licensed riders actually purchase a bike. There's less than a 7% difference from your $ to ours.

Have to tell em we like to be "kissed" first before we get screwed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let us know how you made out.

If it helps. A dealership here had a 09 Classic 0 miles listed for $5999
I was in the used market, and that was only about $500 over what I was looking to spend.

Saw the bike, asked for the out the door price. They said $6900 which seemed like a lot of tax and fees.

Called a dealership 60 miles away, they offered $6400 out the door. Gave that invoice to the original dealership and ended up paying $6300 tax, titled. No more dealer prep. The listed the actual sale price of the bike as "$5839"

I did not, and never use dealer financing. It is much easier to join a local credit union and work that portion out with them. At lease you aren't buying the bike based on a monthly payment number.

My guess would be if you are walking out the door with a bike for $7300 it better be an LT or dressed to look like one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sounds like he's dealing with Pete's Cycle, one of the bigger Kaw dealers in MD. They aren't much for giving you a break. I bought my 07 as a leftover in 08 from them but it was painful getting them to deal. They're easier to deal with once if you can find a cheaper deal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
09' Classic

I too bought a brand new black 900 Classic back in April. I paid $6,100 before taxes. I did lots of checking around and found one on ebay in Wisconsin (I live in Michigan) for $5,800 but would have to trailer it home. I didn't figure it was worth it. My local dealer only had LT's he was selling for $7,200 but he found one of the last two black ones in the state so I was happy with the deal. So...if you haven't bought already I think you could do much better than that price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts