Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found no tail or brake lights working while doing my pre ride inspt yesterday. Fuse was blown, replaced it applied brakes fuse blew again, fuse would blow using either front or rear brake. Unplugged connection under seat going to rear lights and fuse would still blow. Unplugged front brake light switch and fuse didn't blow. Hooked up rear lights and applied rear brake and fuse did not blow. Went to local Kawasaki " WE never stock parts for a V2K shop and had them order $28.00 switch" ,just about right for 50 cents worth of plastic,

Just for fun and because I had lots of fuses I hooked front switch back up and PRESTO everything worked no blown fuses........Went for about a 5 mile putt on some rough side roads did some hard braking and hard on the hammer 0 to 80 right quick deals and everything still worked when I got home. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions??? Thanks PJ

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Went to local Kawasaki " WE never stock parts for a V2K
Don't know what's wrong with your bike, but you better get use to this. Never been to a local dealer that stocks parts for VN2K, unless they happen to be common with a more popular model.

The dealer I bought mine from doesn't even stock parts for them (with the exception noted above).

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,very unlikely to be a fault with the switch as it is plastic bodied and as such cant cause a short.it could stop working but would not blow the fuse.most likely in the wiring.main areas to check would be around steering head where the wires are bent when turning the bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rode 120 miles yesterday with no problems guess I need to do with bikes like I used to with sleds trade every 3 years and let someone else deal with the problems..................don't tell my wife I said that...............

·
Registered
294 Posts
Snap on

There used to be this spray you could buy just for cleaning electrical connectors. It was great stuff and wouldn't hurt the plastic and dried extremely fast. My ex-brother in law had given me a can of it, he was electrician, but it was industrial stuff, for electric motors and switches. If we were to go to every connector, spray and inspect, and then waterproof them with something, but it would have to be the correct type of silicone with no acid, or some type of small enclosure that fit around these plugs would be better. Something you could remove and put back on. Snap-on and waterproof !!!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B003NTQCA2[/ame]

I found the spray on Amazon, now for the snap on cover.
Found permatex dielectric grease on same page.
Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube

There is a plastic snap on box made by Bryant Electric called a tag out box, about 13 Dollars. It had a partial model # BMD... but I cant seem to find it again. Looked like it would snap on perfectly around those connectors for protection and be easy to remove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts