Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents, need some advice please

A friend of mine has a 2 tone black and morone tank and guards on his 2009 V2K, I have the 04 purple. I like his, he likes mine, so we are considering swapping.

The help needed is, will it work with out to many hassles???

Eg; I have the big head light, he has the little thing hanging off the front ( Yer, I like my BIG light ). He has the ignition switch in the tank, mine on top of light, ( can I plug his switch into my harness? . Fuel lines etc. Does anyone know if the swap will work please???

Thanks
Enjoy Your Rides
Terry

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
He has the ignition switch in the tank??

I wasn't aware the later models did that.

Your gas tank "intake" is in the middle (i have an 04 also). I assume his 09 is there also? I know the later models moved it to the upper right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would not worry about the ignition switch i think your real issue is going to be the placement of the fuel pump, and its conections cant make it out on the diagram online it looks to be in the same location. You can always rewire the ign switch its online 5 wires I just had to replace mine this morning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank swap

Thanks Lads

Yes his tank fill is top right.
Had not thought about fuel pump, mmm.
At this stage we were just thinking of trying the swap.

Just hoping someone knew the answer before we started.

Thanks Mates

Enjoy Your Rides
Terry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get both bikes side by side then have a case or two of beer. Have a tank changing day while you both get tanked yourselves and hope everything goes to the correct places.

Oh yeah almost forgot DO NOT PISS IN THE TANKS! Although it may be fairly high octane I don't think the bikes will run on it too good!

·
Registered
578 Posts
It won't work for him, because you are removing his ignition switch. You will have two on your bike (his that is in the tank, and your original in the headlight)

Why don't you just trade bikes?

·
Registered
228 Posts
It won't work for him, because you are removing his ignition switch. You will have two on your bike (his that is in the tank, and your original in the headlight)

Why don't you just trade bikes?
It can work but your buddy will either need to get a unviersal switch. All the ign switch serves is as a keyed on/off switch, your momentary strat button remains on the handle bar. But do know in the back of the ignition switch is a ressistor in line with the grey wire which goes to your ignnition relay it must remain inline or the bike wont start (ask me how i know this).
But your bike might look funny with two switches.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the extra input.

No way will I change my big headlight over. I love it!!!
We are thinking of swapping ignitions, side covers, steering lock over. The 09 will mount ignition on side under tank.

Maybe this Sat' try the tank swap.

Enjoy Your Rides
Thanks Terry

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
We are thinking of swapping ignitions, side covers, steering lock over. The 09 will mount ignition on side under tank. Maybe this Sat' try the tank swap.
take pix and document the surgery. w/o pix it didnt happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts