Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - Earlier this year, I bought an 09 Nomad with Cobra pipes from a dealer. I recently replaced its Cobra pipes with stock pipes. I suspect the former owner had the ECU remapped/reprogrammed for the Cobra pipes because the timing seems to be off now with the stock pipes. Is there an ECU reset function that brings the ECU fully back to "factory settings"? I'm not talking about clearing error codes from the ECU. I'm interested in making the ECU reflect its original "factory settings" in every respect. I know that I could have this does by a Kawi dealer but I’d like to avoid that expense, if possible. Question: Did Kawasaki design its ECU to be easily reset back to factory settings by the bike’s owner - and if so, are instructions published for how to do it? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the ECU was remapped by Ivan, then the only way I know to get it back to factory is to send it back to him. He’ll probably do it for free and you just have to pay shipping there and back. It’ll take all of a few minutes at his shop and the shipping. You would know if it was remapped by Ivan if there’s a sticker on the back or a carving with numbers in the plastic of the ECU. I would call to get details... search for Ivan’s Rockland County Motorcycle.

Just FYI, Ivan has a map that will suite a bike with all stock parts which is significantly better than stock ECU settings. Again, I would call to get information from Ivan. His shop is full of friendly people with a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The cheapest way would be to find a shop that can remap the ECU. Even if you get a tuning module like a power commander, and get the autotune module, it won't adjust the timing by itself, you'll have to take it to a shop to be retuned. Or, just put the Cobras back on until you decide what to do.
The cheapest way you're going to get out of this is $400 (average) to have the ECU flashed back to factory. (Ivan's is $350 plus overnight shipping and insurance)
You might be able to find a stock used ECU on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The cheapest way would be to find a shop that can remap the ECU. Even if you get a tuning module like a power commander, and get the autotune module, it won't adjust the timing by itself, you'll have to take it to a shop to be retuned. Or, just put the Cobras back on until you decide what to do.
The cheapest way you're going to get out of this is $400 (average) to have the ECU flashed back to factory. (Ivan's is $350 plus overnight shipping and insurance)
You might be able to find a stock used ECU on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks.
Don't let anyone except Ivan flash the ECU. There have been no reports that there's been any success having it done by anyone else, and only one report that I can recall - where having someone else flash the ECU was a spectacular failure.

First... You should make sure there's not a fuel processor on your bike already?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts