Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new motor for my bike, it came out of an 09 Ninja 500r... I have it all hooked up and plugged in with the 09 harness but am not getting any spark?? I know the coils are good, could it maybe be the ignitor box? any advice is appreciated. I have bypassed he kickstand switch, hooked up the neutral switch, and pull in the clutch. the button to turn it over does nothing, I did wire up a "track bike" ignition to it as my old ignition switch was way different. I do get power when I turn it on, but just no spark. Again any advice is appreciated, I just want to get this up and running.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi, just want to empathize. I am brain dead on mechanical and electrical stuff. Good on you to undertake such a project...You'll succeed, I feel sure...question is when, not if.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The gen 2 ignition switch employs a resistor, the ignitor wants to see a certain voltage (determined by that resistor) or will be disabled. I think this was an anti-theft design by the factory.

Your easiest path.... source and utilize the correct gen 2 switch. Should be plug and play.

Forgot to ask...what year bike is your ignitor from?

Just confirmed, pre and post 94 EX500 ign swiches and ignitors can't be mixed, not without major surgery/wizardry at least. You will require a Gen 2 (post 94) EX500 ign switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wired up a "track bike" ignition and did include the 100ohm resistor. But the ignition I do have is from a gen 1 93 ex500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts