Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

From start to finish.
Went to ride the bike home from work, when i turned the key, the FI did not fire up, no nuetral light or nothing. Messed with the wires by the ignition for a minute (just wiggling) and then turned the key. All was well. Started it up and went down the road.

As I went down the road, it was acting like it was running out of gas (had over half tank) surging and the spedo would read 0 mph, then it would come back to life for a second or two. It would never completely die. I rode home 10 miles while fighting with this. Stopped in the driveway and turned it off. Went to turn it back on, it did the same. I had to play with the wires again.

Same thing 2 hours later when i went for ice cream. Mess with the wires to get it fired up, then off and on the entire trip.

Anyone have similar problems or able to point me in the right direction for fixing this/diagnosing it. 09 900 custom with less than 3500 miles on it and a brand new battery (a month old)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well it looks like you are losing power. Do you have a multi-meter and know how to check your battery and charging system? If not ask and we can explain. Also check all of your battery connections. Not just at the battery but at the other ends of the cables. Clean your cables and connectors and reassemble (Keep an eye out for any wires that look for any bare wires. Also check to make sure your fuse is seated good. I am sure there will be other that come along with some advice to follow too. Just sit back, read what all as been posted and use your best judgment.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Did you make sure the harness attached to your regulator/rectifier is secure? A friend of mine had his wiggle loose and it produced very similar results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies! I will be evaluating the situation on sunday. Will post what i come up with

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Did you make sure the harness attached to your regulator/rectifier is secure? A friend of mine had his wiggle loose and it produced very similar results.
I was thinking that too. But did not want to throw too much out there at once. I figure it is something loose but anytime I have any electrical problems I like to test the battery and charging system. Make sure you know you have good constant power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a look on sunday. It turns out I had a few loose connections. The negative side of the batter, which then caused some corrosion on the possitive and on some grounds.

After giving all connections a good cleaning, I tightened everything down and went for a ride. No problems to report!

thank goodness it was not an expensive problem, and chalk this one up to being a lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That is good news. Like you said it was not a big problem, and something to walk away with from this thread. When you have electrical problems, always check connections, battery, and charging system first. Also it never hurts to get some dielectric grease to put on the battery terminals and connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts