Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just picked up this bike for my wife with leaky carb issues according to the prev owner. .

The bike had sat for years until a couple months ago.

I pulled carb float bowls. Found a peice of small debris/sand stuck to one of the float needles.

Got it put back together less the air box for trial and error sake.

Bike starts up and idles pretty good.
A little smoke from the right hand side.
And if your careful can get it to rev to maybe 3 or 4k rpms
But if you jusy twist the throttle it bogs up and down and dies off. . .

Im a novice mechanis when it comes to bikes but, have tenure working on all sorts of gas motors.
Ive ordered a factory svc manual from.ebay.. in the mean time im looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance..

Brian
09 vulcan 500 ltd

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome Brian.

The Vulcan 500LTD will not run correctly without its complete airbox system in place.

How does the air filter look? If it is deteriorating it will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The bike had sat for years until a couple months ago.
Bike starts up and idles pretty good.
And if your careful can get it to rev to maybe 3 or 4k rpms
But if you jusy twist the throttle it bogs up and down and dies off. . .

Ive ordered a factory svc manual from.ebay.. in the mean time im looking for ideas.
likely your carbs will require more extensive disassembly, inspection and cleaning

amazing it starts and idles (sat for years) as the pilot circuit is usually the first to clog

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ducatiman. From my experience with auto carbs it feels like there is def still something clogged.

While the airbox was off annd bike was running i peeked into the carb throats.. and the slides wefe bouncing erratically after raising up only 1/4 inch.

I went ahead and ordered slide diaphragms because they are so old. .

Waiting on the factory svc manual. Does it have good info on theae carbs?
If not where can i get some literature for them?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
239 Posts
the wiki over at EX500.com will be helpful for disassembly and basic clean I think

Main Page - EX-500.com

Vulcan Keihin CV's are a meld of 32mm carbs (as used on 250 ninja) spaced wider (as EX500 , using common co-joining parts)

your internal components are common, in some cases identical...though actual jet sizes differ from both the 250 32mm and EX 34mm version

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That webpage has a lot of info but slows my computer down to uselessness .

However u discovered im missing a needle jet(little bushing that goes ontop of the main jet holder)
on the right hand side..

That would explain a lot of the issues i was having.

Anyone know where i can find a replacement?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can buy rebuild kit with new pilots, jets and stuff for about 25 bucks, search on eBay, for separate parts, search on eBay, i think you can find parts you need.
Clean carbs thoroughly, check float height, sync them and play with idle jet to get best results, ducatiman gave you link with all required info and instructions. I recently cleaned my carbs for the first time, easy job :) Also check airbox for cracks, check for vacuum leak to be sure completely that everything's alright. Good luck!
And welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the part i need on ebay for 12 bucks.

When it comes in ill install the new float bowl gaskets. And check float height. . .

Hopefully this smooths it out and i can take it for a spin .

·
Registered
239 Posts
However u discovered im missing a needle jet(little bushing that goes ontop of the main jet holder)
on the right hand side..
That would explain a lot of the issues i was having.
no no no....UNDERNEATH the main jet holder (aka emulsion tube).... and the open end goes in downwards

One or both being missing, 500's are usually reluctant to react to throttle input at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it would be underneath as im working on the carbs. I just went with ontop because thats how it is when its installed and operating ill learn the proper verbage as i go :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty. Got the new needle jet installed.
Bike fires right up. Runs very smooth.
No more smoking from the one side.

However it still will not respond to throttle input..
Gets to a few thousand revs. Bogs off and dies.

The vacuum hoses im pretty sure are not leaking..
Is the valve the plug into bad maybe?

What else could possible cause this symptom

Its driving me nuts.
Im decent with a wrench.

Also i think ive spotted a tiny leak at the fuel inlet pipe where it plugs into right hand carb.

Maybe time to just send em off to ducatiman to get worked over.

I really feel like im missing something simple and am gunna face palm when i find the problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a side note...
i can use the black idle adjust screw and the bike runs smooth as can be for as much as i want to turn it and it responds appropriately to that knob going in either direction

·
Registered
239 Posts
@brianhirt-

+1 to airbox, would also urge you to assure bowls are receiving sufficient fuel delivery from petcock...attaching a drain tube/cup to the bowl
are you getting approx 60cc from each?

Alternately, using the "clear tube method" you could measure your fuel levels in each bowl. (note my attached pic is with carbs off the bike, mounted to a test stand) The level in the 2nd pic will get you in the ballpark, significantly higher or lower, obviously a no-no.

Coincidentally, I've actually applied for Vendor status here within the last 24 hours, the process is well under way with VerticalScope admin. Choosing to adhere to forum rules, I'll refrain from further comment till I'm "official".

Edited to add....the vent (upper) rail tube is clear to "breathe"? Not kinked or plugged in any way?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My issue turned out to be the vacuum hoses coming off the carb and after the T goings up the the pairs systems was dry rot and had an inch long crack not visible untill i flexxed all the tubing.

Got that all fixed up. And the bike runs great. Save that small fuel leak / drip on the fuel inlet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do need to remove the junky universal glass hotrod fuel filter between the petcock and fuel inlet on the carbs.

And buy a good rebuild kit with the filter that goes into the inlet :)

Ducatiman Pm ME where i can send you some cashola for the rebuild kits you make available to wannabes like me.

Also does anyone have a source for the airbox side rubbers that go between box and carb? Mine are old and non pliable its near impossible to get the over the carb.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've read about (but never tried) this method for reviving rock hard rubber manifolds and air boots:

Using a sealed Ziploc bag...add a few of ounces of Armor All in with the part....sealing the bag. Using hot tapwater and appropriate jug/container......dunk and leave, refresh the hot water as needed....and repeat as many times as needed. The *warmed* armor all supposedly does the trick.

Inexpensive and worth a shot, no?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts