Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forums and I just bought an 08 Vulcan VN900 Custom with aftermarket Ultima 58mm inverted forks. The problem that I am facing is that I cannot find the forks rebuilding kit to repair the leaking seals and the sliders/bushings. The Company is out of business and there is no cross reference as to what are the parts that I can use.

I called a few major cycle parts suppliers with no luck. I am thinking in swapping forks but I do not know what stock or aftermarket forks can fit in this Vulcan.
I haven't had luck with stock used front end for it, so what are the options that I have? Man, I cannot wait to ride this bike as I just enjoyed for a week after I bought it. Please help!

·
Registered
213 Posts
as far as returning to a stock configuration...
Not finding much used on eBay that's worth a dam....

I'm assuming that since the forks that were put on there were inverted forks, that they also used a different upper and lower triple tree then stock. (The stock upper forks are 41mm)

getting all the parts brand new is going to cost a pretty penny....
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b52fff8700223e47965ca/front-fork

P/N: 44071-0980 - DAMPER-ASSY,FORK,LH - $500.27
P/N: 44071-0981 - DAMPER-ASSY,FORK,RH - $445.28

Tripple Tree
P/N: 44037-0070 - HOLDER-FORK UNDER - $270.98
P/N: 44039-0062 - HOLDER-FORK UPPER - $242.25

check Ebay: I see a BLACK set from a 2011 that appears to be complete (upper and lower) for $140

would probably want to get new bearings for the triple tree...

Did they put a different wheel on with the aftermarket forks? Changing back to the stock forks will likely need different spacers on the wheels at a minimum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you have a caliper to measure the ID and OD of the forks and sliders?

with the measurements, you should be able to call a place like All Balls Racing (http://www.allballsracing.com/) and give them the numbers, and they should be able to do a cross reference to find what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the response..here are some pictures:

I was hoping to find the sliders instead...I know that replacing the front end will cost me more than the bike itself :( ,So a used one from a 2011 will fit?
I thinks that the wheel is stock, and I hope the front caliper is as well..I am new to this riding style, and the support from you guys is awesome. If the used 2011 fit, I rather just get it. The triple tree came with the the Ultima 58mm I think. It looks like is a 5* rake right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a caliper to measure the ID and OD of the forks and sliders?

with the measurements, you should be able to call a place like All Balls Racing (http://www.allballsracing.com/) and give them the numbers, and they should be able to do a cross reference to find what you need.
Sweet, thanks. I'll do that and I keep you posted. Thanks again for your prompt response.
~Kurt

·
Registered
213 Posts
hmm, pretty sure that's not the stock front wheel. The wheels on the Custom are solid (non-spoked) tubeless wheels.

Unless that came from a Classic? but it looks too narrow. So I'm guessing that the caliper probably isn't stock either. Obviously the headlight isn't stock, but it shouldn't be too hard to fab a bracket to make it works.

HOWEVER... based on the measurements you are sowing on that Slider bushing.....

you MIGHT be able to get away with getting the slider bushings from the stock 900 custom sliders. The upper for tubers on the 900 are 41mm. you measurements show that the slider bushings you have should have an Id of 41mm.

Were these one of the parts you were planning to replace? the link I posted above has them at P/N: 44065-1080 - BUSHING-FRONT FORK,INNER PIPE - @$16.46 each.
it might be worth the price to try them out. Granted, you're still going to need a source for the actual for seals, and I think All Balls might be your best be for those. Again, youll need to take the measurements for them to cross reference a set to fit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the biggest potential problem I see with using the stock 900 slider bushings on your aftermarket forks would be the wall thickness and height of the bushings. without a set in hand, hard to say if they will work or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, pretty sure that's not the stock front wheel. The wheels on the Custom are solid (non-spoked) tubeless wheels.

Unless that came from a Classic? but it looks too narrow. So I'm guessing that the caliper probably isn't stock either. Obviously the headlight isn't stock, but it shouldn't be too hard to fab a bracket to make it works.

HOWEVER... based on the measurements you are sowing on that Slider bushing.....

you MIGHT be able to get away with getting the slider bushings from the stock 900 custom sliders. The upper for tubers on the 900 are 41mm. you measurements show that the slider bushings you have should have an Id of 41mm.

Were these one of the parts you were planning to replace? the link I posted above has them at P/N: 44065-1080 - BUSHING-FRONT FORK,INNER PIPE - @$16.46 each.
it might be worth the price to try them out. Granted, you're still going to need a source for the actual for seals, and I think All Balls might be your best be for those. Again, youll need to take the measurements for them to cross reference a set to fit.
Definitively I'll give them a try. The problem is to found the sliders. The seals I fitted are from an 84 FXST HD part OEM 45875-84A. So, I'll order those with that part number. Thanks again for giving me hope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the biggest potential problem I see with using the stock 900 slider bushings on your aftermarket forks would be the wall thickness and height of the bushings. without a set in hand, hard to say if they will work or not.
I know, but I'll try the ones Ndr recommended as its worth the try. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ndr,
I forgot to say that those are the ones that I took from one of the forks. The teflon inside was gone already. The front wheel I thought it was a Custom, so I guess I was wrong. The Caliper is aftermarket as well and I do not how to order the front brakes. The headlight will be easy to remove/replace if I find a used front end. I wish to know what other front end would fit without major modifications and I would go stock in a heart beat!

·
Registered
68 Posts
SD_Joe;

Glad you are back on the road. I am impressed that you were able to determine the parts needed, and get them working together properly. The mix of aftermarket stuff on your bike is daunting.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SD_Joe;

Glad you are back on the road. I am impressed that you were able to determine the parts needed, and get them working together properly. The mix of aftermarket stuff on your bike is daunting.

Ride safe.
Likewise, the help found on this forums was amazing. Still rides like new.
Thanks again,

Joe

·
Registered
213 Posts
Awesome, Glad to see you got things working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts