Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It starts ice cold on the first try, runs beautifully .. until I hit 50MPH in high gear. It starts missing out horribly backfiring, sputtering and sneezing:wink2:. Drop back to 50 or less and it smooths out very nicely.

It is in the hands of my mechanic and I stopped by today to see how it was going. He said "I'm pretty sure I know what is wrong. I suspect a FUEL SENSOR" I said "Great!! I will let you get back to work" and I left.

Been searching for a fuel sensor and don't find that exactly. I THINK he just picked a word out of his head ... thinking I would not know the right term from a wrong term.

Sooo, the question is ... assuming he meant some other term, what should I be looking for in your opinion? Trying to find it to get an idea of cost of part and where it is, and maybe how much work there will be to replace it.

I found something called

16126VALVE,AIR SWITCHING
16126-0746
$150.18

but I don't know with any certainty that is what he is talking about. Any help is appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Does the problem occur only in 5th gear or does it occur at about the same revs regardless of which gear the bike is in? Fuel sensor - I would ask the mechanic for more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does the problem occur only in 5th gear or does it occur at about the same revs regardless of which gear the bike is in? Fuel sensor - I would ask the mechanic for more info.
About the same rpm in any gear. Yes, I could ask the mechanic what he meant,... but thought I MIGHT get a calculated answer here.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It starts ice cold on the first try, runs beautifully .. until I hit 50MPH in high gear. It starts missing out horribly backfiring, sputtering and sneezing:wink2:. Drop back to 50 or less and it smooths out very nicely.

It is in the hands of my mechanic and I stopped by today to see how it was going. He said "I'm pretty sure I know what is wrong. I suspect a FUEL SENSOR" I said "Great!! I will let you get back to work" and I left.

Been searching for a fuel sensor and don't find that exactly. I THINK he just picked a word out of his head ... thinking I would not know the right term from a wrong term.

Sooo, the question is ... assuming he meant some other term, what should I be looking for in your opinion? Trying to find it to get an idea of cost of part and where it is, and maybe how much work there will be to replace it.

I found something called

16126VALVE,AIR SWITCHING
16126-0746
$150.18

but I don't know with any certainty that is what he is talking about. Any help is appreciated in advance.

Could be as easy as the spark plug being loose.
stuff.jpg

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Does the FI light come on when it does this? No FI light, then most likely (not impossible) a fuel injection issue.
Tell them to do a charging system voltage check. Might be vibration related.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the FI light come on when it does this? No FI light, then most likely (not impossible) a fuel injection issue.
Tell them to do a charging system voltage check. Might be vibration related.
This help and support is getting better by the minute. Thank you for the comment.

To be honest, I just downloaded the service manual for this bike. Anyone who can effectively work on one of these could probably launch a space shuttle. I FEAR this may be way over the head of my mechanic. He's good and has done work on other of my bikes but I have my doubts now that I see what all could be involved. The freekin manual is 500+ pages. Apparently Kawasaki is an exceptionally technical brand.

I am SURE he is not Kawasaki certified. Just removing the fuel tank by the book has some requirements I would have never known about. Personally, I think the odds of his getting this straightened out are slim. I really do not want to offend him ... so I guess I just have to wait until he gives up or succeeds.

Last time I rode it, I do not recall any FI light coming on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you or your mechanic have any questions, post back.
Very kind of you. From looking over the Service Manual, this bike should have gone to a certified mechanic, .. in my humble opinion. I am between a rock and a hard place. At this point, have to rely on my mechanic and hope he fixes it rather than cause more problems by not doing things 'right'. I really screwed up, in my opinion.

Like I said, he will either give up or get it running properly. I just can't tell him "I don't think you can fix it." For all I know, he can fix it .. even if I have my doubts. Thank you, Sir for your attention. Drama, drama, drama.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. Mechanic contacted me. "Pretty sure I know what's wrong with your bike. Fuel pump rusted up BIG TIME. Recommend hot tanking the fuel tank, treat the inside with anti-rusting process, repainting it, and install new pump".

I said "Sounds good to me", and that is where it stands. He is actually a pretty good mechanic ... even for Kawasaki's. Even uses a shop manual ... for any bike he works on. I should have guessed. I am pretty happy at this point. Thanks again, everyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest, he did mention he did but immediately knew both were way low as soon as he powered up the pump.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Seems like a fuel pump problem could well be the cause, given the description of the symptoms. But am curious about why there would be rust and so much of it unless the bike sat for perhaps several years with either little fuel containing condensate water in the tank or in the unlikely event of using E-85 . . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like a fuel pump problem could well be the cause, given the description of the symptoms. But am curious about why there would be rust and so much of it unless the bike sat for perhaps several years with either little fuel containing condensate water in the tank or in the unlikely event of using E-85 . . . .

Here is the whole deal. I have 3 other bikes. A 'young' man came to me and asked me to help him find a suitable bike. Before I could do anything, he called me and said he found one and would I go with him to check it out. I did. I did a quick look-over and rode it. Told him seemed 'ok' to me.

He then confessed he did not have the money. I try to help young people out, and we arranged for me to buy the bike, and he pay me back. Long story short, .. he informed me he could not buy the bike, .. so I inherited it. I KNOW!! Please don't tell me how foolish I can be.

I bought it from a Cop ... FWIW. It started nicely, ran nicely, no smoke, no miss, performed quite nice in fact. I grew to like the bike, but the point is, I did not/do not know the history on it. My mechanic said the same ... must have sat for along time to rust like that. I don't argue that.

So ... here we are with the solution I described. Before that, found out it had a bad stator and I put in a new one and new voltage reg. That was some time back. Ran QUITE nicely until the fuel pump became so contaminated.

So ... I can't explain the rust, but I can suspect its cause ... as we all have ... you, I, and my mechanic.

I do appreciate everyone's comments and help. Thank you again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts