Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Vulcan lovers;
I have owned my 900 custom for almost 2 summers now, and getting really tired of the vibrations on highway speeds especially around 70-80 mph. I have been doing a lot research and people are saying to change Front+ rear sprocket to reduce highway RPM. I got on gearingcommander.com and would like to switch Rear to -4 teeth. that would put me @ 62 mph @ 3400 rpm. is this enough to eliminate the strong vibration that I am feeling, or do I need to go another route.
A lot of people are talking about making more low end torque and power, i just want to eliminate the strong vibration on highway speeds.
what do you guys recommend to do?
thank you,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your feedback, however i do not believe what ur saying. They said i can reduce the vibrations on the freeway speeds by reducing the highway rpm the bike is riding on. this was told by a Kawasaki certified technician,. He said the Vulcan were made with short gears so on freeway over 65 mph u really feel, and can be solved by replacing the Rear sprocket and reducing the RPM which we sitting at 70 mph.
I just cannot find a Rear sprocket that is a 62 tooth, only 64 or 68. that would not make enough of difference. i need a 62 tooth then at 3400 rpm i will be @ almost 63 mph instead of 54 mph. greatly reduce the vibrations.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes,you can shift the point you feel the vibration( from one speed to another) by changing pulleys,but the vibration will never really be gone.Pulleys,ISO grips and such can all help to reduce vibration, but again,the vibration is never really gone.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It's never going to be a bike that's "smooth" at highway speeds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are unhappy with the vibration, the best solution is to buy a different bike. Personally, I find the vibration light compared to other bikes I have ridden. I added ISO grips and now my hands don't tingle anymore so I'm happy. The other option is to ride at a speed different than the one where you feel the most buzz. You're right that the gearing is toward torque rather than high speed at low revs. It's the nature of a cruiser.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you are unhappy with the vibration, the best solution is to buy a different bike. Personally, I find the vibration light compared to other bikes I have ridden. I added ISO grips and now my hands don't tingle anymore so I'm happy. The other option is to ride at a speed different than the one where you feel the most buzz. You're right that the gearing is toward torque rather than high speed at low revs. It's the nature of a cruiser.
There's is some truth there. A bigger engine with a different transmission will give you want you're looking for. You'll never make the 900 "putt" along at 80 MPH.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The 1700 has a different gear ratio and they turn fewer rpms at higher speed. But they also have a 100 ft lbs of torque so they can gear it that way. stock they only turning about 2500 rpms at 60 where the 9 is about 3400 at 60 mph. The 900 only has 58 ft lbs of torque at the motor and about 52 at the wheel stock. So they have to gear it a little lower to get some performance.

My last bike was a 1400 intruder. You want to talk about vibration. That thing was horrible. The 900 vulcan was a major improvement. I believe vibration is part of owning a v twin. At least every v twin I have road had vibration at some speed. If they started putting the v4 back in the bikes they would be much smoother. With more hp and torque. My first street bike was a 81 kawasaki spectra 1100. v4. That motor in a 900 frame with fuel injection. That bike would be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you for your feedback, however i do not believe what ur saying. They said i can reduce the vibrations on the freeway speeds by reducing the highway rpm the bike is riding on. this was told by a Kawasaki certified technician,. He said the Vulcan were made with short gears so on freeway over 65 mph u really feel, and can be solved by replacing the Rear sprocket and reducing the RPM which we sitting at 70 mph.
I just cannot find a Rear sprocket that is a 62 tooth, only 64 or 68. that would not make enough of difference. i need a 62 tooth then at 3400 rpm i will be @ almost 63 mph instead of 54 mph. greatly reduce the vibrations.
I've had the same issue... at 75-80 mph indicated, with a batwing fairing, I get engine vibration plus buffeting that give me a headache after ~1 hr ride. Getting a Mustang seat was a big help due to the extra padding.

My solution (when I get time and money) will be:
1. Change rear pulley to a Barons, etc (moves wheel back)
2. Put on a 200 or 170 rear tire (less clearance than before, but pulley helps compensate)
*** Tire plus pulley will give you a significant gear ratio change. ****
3. Put on a Laminair Lip or something similar to smooth airflow over top of fairing.
4. Fabricate a decent set of "lowers" to prevent air from coming up under fairing and around fuel tank.

At this point, yeah a different bike (Honda Silverwing scooter) might be a better choice, if all you care about is minimal vibration. But if you bought your Custom for the looks as I did, then some compromise is in order.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yep....you may be riding the wrong bike if you want butter smooth freeway speeds. Maybe a sport touring type bike like a FJR Yamaha or Honda ST1300. 4 cylinder, great smooth power band, upright riding position for better wind protection, and cruize all day at 100 mph.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yep....you may be riding the wrong bike if you want butter smooth freeway speeds. Maybe a sport touring type bike like a FJR Yamaha or Honda ST1300. 4 cylinder, great smooth power band, upright riding position for better wind protection, and cruize all day at 100 mph.
He doesn't even need a sport touring bike, or Goldwing (well, nobody should have a Goldwing - blah). He just needs a bike with a bigger engine and different gearing. There are v-twin engines that don't buzz like the 900.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Maybe its not just the motor ... something loose could be the cause of excessive vibration. Hell I run mine for 600 miles plus per day on my trips, anywhere from 65 to 68 mph. While I run a 200 rear, I never thought the vibration was excessive...... its noisy, and clunky, but I don't think it would put a smile on most ladies faces.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
. . .its noisy, and clunky, but I don't think it would put a smile on most ladies faces.
No, it won't. It'll make your hands numb, though, and make you need a break.

Now, my other bike? That'll put a smile on a lady's face. Sometimes, I just sit and let it idle . . . LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts