Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a ride into the mountains East of Pittsburgh on Sunday last, I watched the gas gauge carefully. That is because the leader of our group had been scrupulously staying within the speed limits. As the first two black lines were removed the mileage rose and rose. It rose well beyond the 42mpg I had determined previously. My solitary riding went well above imposed speed limits so I became interested. The tank had been filled exactly to the metal barrier while leaning upon the kick stand. The number of lines showing depended upon the slope of the road. The third line reappeared when the bike was on level ground. The final time it did so was disregarded as the results were absurd. My final mileage for two gallons was 108 miles or 54 miles per gallon while traveling at posted speed limits. Much of the time was spent doing 55 miles per hour.
My bike is a Vulcan 2007 Light Touring Classic and I was the only one on board at 245? lbs.
The bike IS able to be coaxed into higher mileage rates with careful driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it stock, or are there custom/add on parts are on your bike???? I'm on an 08 V2K LT, all stock, 3700 miles, so far, in two months, and I'm only getting around 36-38.....on Kansas flat-land!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow!

12 MPG more! I try to keep with in 5 MPH of the speed limit and the best I ever got is 42 MPG. There are some hills but nothing major no mtns. I'm on a totaly stock 2006 V2K.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No goosing the throttle= better gas milage. I dont believe anyone can really get a true reading of what their gas milage is unless you fill up and go to totally empty on completly flat ground at sea level with no wind, weighing a certain amount with an exact tire pressure, grade of gasoline, new air filter with no dirt plus empty saddle bags and no accesories and twenty milion other factors. You could get a rough estimate but it all has to do with how the rider operates the bike and how the bike is set up. No one will ever get exactly the same results but the more steady and smoother you are plus staying at or below the speed limits will definetly increase your MPG. Just have fun and ride:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I get about 42mpg pretty consistently.
I ride 2 up 99% of the time. Rarely alone. Wife likes to ride.:D

I have gotten as high as 46 on real flat land following a group at 55mph and as low as 38 fully loaded pulling a trailer in the mountains. But our normal riding gets pretty much 42.

Sure eats the back tires though...:eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
During a ride into the mountains East of Pittsburgh on Sunday last, I watched the gas gauge carefully. That is because the leader of our group had been scrupulously staying within the speed limits. As the first two black lines were removed the mileage rose and rose. It rose well beyond the 42mpg I had determined previously. My solitary riding went well above imposed speed limits so I became interested. The tank had been filled exactly to the metal barrier while leaning upon the kick stand. The number of lines showing depended upon the slope of the road. The third line reappeared when the bike was on level ground. The final time it did so was disregarded as the results were absurd. My final mileage for two gallons was 108 miles or 54 miles per gallon while traveling at posted speed limits. Much of the time was spent doing 55 miles per hour.
My bike is a Vulcan 2007 Light Touring Classic and I was the only one on board at 245? lbs.
The bike IS able to be coaxed into higher mileage rates with careful driving.
So when you say 55 mph do you mean speedo speed or real speed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mileage

It is stock all the way except for a terrific Ultimate seat.
speedo speed is all I got except that we got passed a lot so it had to be 55 or near to it.

On the was home, as soon as I was free of the last of the pack, zoom, 85, up, up, and away!

I did notice that as I broke it in, it became easier and easier to ride slowly and smoothly. Most of my early riding was in the city on residential streets. It can almost run 10 mph under the limits. That would be 30-40 in 4th gear not 3rd. It hardly knocks. That works for lower gears, too: 25 in 3rd is ok sometimes. It also winds out 10mph OVER. 50-60 in 4th instead of 5th. I think it has to be trained how to run smoothly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latest ride

A ride yesterday was measured. Mileage was 239.6 and gas used was 4.762 makeing 50.315 miles per gallon. I only jerked around a little bit. Most of the ride was on two lane blacktop W. PA back roades.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
accuracy

I'm gonna nail this thing. When I filled up this time, gas is just barely covering the metal on the bottom of the tube. The bike is on the kickstand. The trip counter was reset to 0.0

When I filled up last time, no, the time before, when I started the trip, I set the counter to 0.0, I don't know. I may have topped it off. So, that renders the 50mpg incorrect or not good enough.

From now on I'm gonna keep track of all gas and mileage and I'm going to fill up the same way every time. A fill up will always be to just barely cover the metal at the bottom of the tube. The bike will always be filled up when it is on the kickstand. That way mileage should be accurately determined.

Michael C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Usually around 38mpg is all I can get. I feel it up past the metal thing till it is almost running out the top, but can never get 200 miles out of a tank...But with all the power this bike has it is hard to take it easy...lol

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
99, keep yor wrist from doin the twist.. toooo much! am/have been getting rite at 50mpg steady for the last 4yrs comin up on 40k smiles. no its not stok. k&n plus cherries boms w/o fuel enhancer. still can push this beast up to the 300 mark before coasting into a station. just saying is yor bike has the ability... its you thaz holdin her bak. ponchout
Ponch is dead on. (like always). I rode for 218 miles and when i filled up I used around 4.25. That is 51. I done this on the Blue Ridge Parkway with me and the Wife (380 total) and 1 night stay worth of cloths in hotel along with usual bag stuffing. Fueled up in Boone, NC and then again in Cherokee, NC. I did get pretty sorry mileage for about the first 1000 miles of the new bike but it got better. Better than what I got out of my 07 1600 Meanie.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I went to NW Arkansas recently (I live in Omaha, NE). Here at home I get between 33 & 38 mpg. In AR I got 45-49 mpg consistently. The riding there is different, to be sure. But I would think it would hurt more than help. AR has more hills and twisties (one reason I like going there), so more slowing down & speeding up.

I think it has to do with the gas they serve in AR vs. the "over-ethanoled" stuff I get here in NE. I also suspect altitude plays a part.

And it's not just this bike. I had similar discrepancies when I had my 900.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I love the fact that the V2K gets better mpg than the Kaw 1700's! More cc's, more hp, more torque, more fun, AND better mpg = more smiles per $$!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I love the fact that the V2K gets better mpg than the Kaw 1700's! More cc's, more hp, more torque, more fun, AND better mpg = more smiles per $$!
I have noticed that. The only bike I have ever owned that got better mileage than this beast was my Honda 650 nighthawk. But that's not fair to compare an inline 4 banger to a V-twin with pistons comparable to a Chevy 454.

·
Registered
553 Posts
mpg is directly affected by riding style. If you run it fast on straight hiways yor gonna burn fuel. those of us that ride mostly backroads and hills keep our top speed down below 70, 60 is more the norm and then we do a whole lotta 40-50 benders where you float thru or at least into the corners and fly out of em. Butt its pushing wind at that top end is where these two Humongous Air Jugs are capable sucking fuel like a...?
Change up yor riding style to something more sane and you'll see big changes in consumption. These motors make tremendous power at low RPM, not fast power - strong pulling power. Quit trying to ride this like a sport bike and see the diffrence.
Can't do it Ponch. 42 is all I get. Same as before 2 up.
I gotta twist that throttle... I just gotta.:eek:

G

·
0 Posts
I got a 1500 classic. Still get 42 regularly. I'm not gonna sweat 5 or 6 MPG, I just wanna ride.

Goobe

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I gotta get in this. My 05 2K has cobra pipes, thunder mfg. air kit, PCIII, 5th gear cheat mod, and almost always 2 up. If I lead the group and need to keep it under control I can still get up to 54.7 mpg. If it is just the wife and a few of the buds I get about 45 - 46 mpg. If I am alone I have gotten as little as 28. Did you know that on a few mountain roads up here that the V2K can get a lot of air time??? and with the right twist of the wrist it will land like a feather. :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fuel with ethanol will result in lower fuel mileage every time when compared to fuel without ethanol. I have managed to squeak out 45 mpg on ethanol "enhanced" fuel but that was running at about 50 mph 1 up and no load. On my last trip to the west coast and back, 2 up (285 & 200) with Euro gears, Odyssey Air kit, PCIII, DS tire, a full load of tools, clothes and misc gear, we averaged about 38 over 5600 miles and I was not easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mileage

Never got more than 45 mpg, even solo with limited baggage. With trunk, bags and 2 up, 40 to 42 avg. Baron BAK, V&H pipes. Usually run 91 octane, but some places here don't have it, so the odd tank of 87 runs thru. No difference in the mileage, no measurable change in performance either:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts