Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the V twin world. Just traded for a 07 1500 classic, the guy said he filled up and about a mile later it was cutting out on him so he thinks he got some bad gas.

The Fi light is on, it cranks right up and will idle but misses, when you try to give it gas it just bogs and sputters.

Well I drained the gas, put fresh 93 in it and it's running better but still doesn't take throttle very well. Before it wouldn't rev at all but now it will. Anyway it's still cutting out.

I noticed that the right side cover for the Iac's is loose. Like it just sets there and spins when the bikes running even tho the bolt is tight. I know that it gets air from the left side where the air cleaner is so I'm wondering if it pulling air from the loose cover is causing it to run lean? It does idle high also. Would excess air cause the Fi light to come on?

I tried finding an exploded diagram but I can't tell much from it. Is there supposed to be a gasket or something to seal up the cover to the base plate? Cause it's definitely pulling air from around the Iac cover.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the battery was dead cause someone left the key on, I charged it for a bit when I was draining the gas. It's only 2 months old, what kinda numbers should I be looking for when I test it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Yes, there is supposed to be a gasket for the dog dish on the IAC valve side. I'm pretty sure that sucking air in on that side would cause a bit of a lean burn. How high is it idling at? perhaps the PO cranked up the adjuster just to keep the bike running. Have you looked at the throttle body to see if maybe it's crudded up and needs a good cleaning? If you do clean the throttle body I would suggest that you use a proper cleaner and not brake cleaner or other such cleaners. Also make sure to clean the butterfly front, back and where it closes on the TB. Pull the plugs and have a look at them to ensure that they look roughly the same and don't show signs of raw fuel, carbon buildup or other such things.

I'm sure others from the collective will chime in with more suggestions.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Mike

Reactions: Tourer

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
The FI light goes on with the key and should go out in a few seconds. If it remains on there is a malfunction in the fuel injection system. There should be a code stored. Here are two links. One to the factory repair manual fuel injection system and one to a parts diagram of the air cleaner. Hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome to the forum! Yes, there is supposed to be a gasket for the dog dish on the IAC valve side. I'm pretty sure that sucking air in on that side would cause a bit of a lean burn. How high is it idling at? perhaps the PO cranked up the adjuster just to keep the bike running. Have you looked at the throttle body to see if maybe it's crudded up and needs a good cleaning? If you do clean the throttle body I would suggest that you use a proper cleaner and not brake cleaner or other such cleaners. Also make sure to clean the butterfly front, back and where it closes on the TB. Pull the plugs and have a look at them to ensure that they look roughly the same and don't show signs of raw fuel, carbon buildup or other such things.

I'm sure others from the collective will chime in with more suggestions.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Mike
Thank you, happy to be a part of the Vulcan community! It idles about like it would if the choke was on, so I suspect it is running lean. The throttle body is definitely dirty and has a black oily build up inside, will definitely clean it asap. I'll throw some new plugs in while I'm at it. I haven't had much time to work on it but should be back able to tomorrow so we'll see what happens! Thanks for the reply 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FI light goes on with the key and should go out in a few seconds. If it remains on there is a malfunction in the fuel injection system. There should be a code stored. Here are two links. One to the factory repair manual fuel injection system and one to a parts diagram of the air cleaner. Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you! That manual will help more than anything and I'll go ahead and order the gasket for the dog dish so I can get that out of the way. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get a code, it blinks twice in sequence which from what I understand is a vacuum sensor malfunction. Where would the sensor be? I can't find much on it, but it would make sense for how it's acting. I take that it has to be replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it, tried swapping the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor which is the same part number and still acts the same way. I'm thinking maybe one of the hoses is cracked or the plastic T fitting may have split open causing a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
So guys... I noticed some electrical tape that had been melted.. apparently someone had messed with the wiring harness and it's all kinds of messed up. Black and yellow wire with no insulation at all, 3 green wires spliced into 1 😩 How hard is the harness to replace? And where would be the best place to buy one? Used or new?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I taped up the harness and found a wire running to the throttle body that was broke, soldered it back on and the bike runs great 👍 Thanks guys for all the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts