Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 07 VN900C runs great when cold but starts to hesitate and won't take throttle when warm, about 15 miles and gets steadily worse the further you ride it. Will get you home with about quarter throttle, but will not rev out. Any suggestions

Thanks
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
What happens when you rev the bike in the drive way? Same hesitation? If so, try taking the air filter cover and filter off (so you can view the secondary butterflies).

1) Do they open when you give it throttle? If not, this would cause a choking affect and hesitation. Go to service manual for trouble shooting.

2) If they do open, my next look would be to the fuel or fuel delivery (i.e. bad gas, or issues with fuel pump)

3) Next on my list would be the coils, spark plugs, electrical (i.e. battery?)

The service manual has a pretty good section on trouble shooting.

Hope this gets you started....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have went through all the basics, even checked valve adjustment to make sure no tight valves. This bike belongs to a friend and sat for a long time, only has 7k miles on it. tank is clean, air filter new, plugs are new, pipes are stock. Put in dealer mode 2 to check for existing codes or old ones, had one for the secondary butterflys, but they are operating normally when on my lift and the bike still bogs when they a fully open. I cleared the codes and the FI is off. Got the factory service manual today to start checking sensors but don't have the fitting for the fuel line to connect gauge and check fuel pump pressure. Will stay on it, what a pain. Looks like this bike is going to the dealer

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If it sat for a long time, you could have some gunk in the fuel lines & injectors. Run some injector cleaner through and let it run on the stand for a while, then see if it gets better.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Have went through all the basics, even checked valve adjustment to make sure no tight valves. This bike belongs to a friend and sat for a long time, only has 7k miles on it. tank is clean, air filter new, plugs are new, pipes are stock. Put in dealer mode 2 to check for existing codes or old ones, had one for the secondary butterflys, but they are operating normally when on my lift and the bike still bogs when they a fully open. I cleared the codes and the FI is off. Got the factory service manual today to start checking sensors but don't have the fitting for the fuel line to connect gauge and check fuel pump pressure. Will stay on it, what a pain. Looks like this bike is going to the dealer
One more check that's easy. Remove the gas cap with the bike is bogging down and listen for a hiss. Verify the vent line is doing it's job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts